The Student Room Group

What can you do with these A Level subjects?

I'm going to have to start applying to colleges soon and am considering to study maths, further maths, physcology and sociology. I was wondering what can you do with these subjects in future?
Reply 1
You could do a maths degree if you take maths and fmaths to A2, and maybe economics at uni (possibly, I'm not sure).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MehnazH
I'm going to have to start applying to colleges soon and am considering to study maths, further maths, physcology and sociology. I was wondering what can you do with these subjects in future?

Economics or just most degrees involving maths. You would probably be able to apply for most of the social sciences generally speaking, I would think.
I agree with VokeA a maths degree would be suited but also an economics degree (even though you aren't doing economics). An economics degree is a helluva lot of maths and a lot of people hate it because they didn't realise that it would contain so much. But you also have psychology and sociology which would appeal to the 'social science' part of economics.
Reply 4
So if I were to do a maths degree, would I be able to become a maths teacher from that and how? (I'm interesting in teaching btw) :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
[QUOTE=MehnazH;59924593]So if I were to do a maths degree, would I be able to become a maths teacher from that and how? (I'm interesting in teaching btw) :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a Maths degree and then a PGCE (postgraduate certificate of education i think) to become a teacher but there might be alternative routes too
Original post by MehnazH
So if I were to do a maths degree, would I be able to become a maths teacher from that and how? (I'm interesting in teaching btw) :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of teacher? Primary or secondary?
Reply 7
Secondary teacher
Reply 8
Thanks. Maybe I'll do that then :smile:
Reply 9
What are your opinions on A level maths and further maths? How different is it to a maths degree? Is it challenging?
Reply 10
I don't know about you but before we started AS 'psychology', the teacher made sure that we all knew how to spell the name of the subject...:colone:
Reply 11
Ok well I am new to the subject!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MehnazH
What are your opinions on A level maths and further maths? How different is it to a maths degree? Is it challenging?

i got an A* with 94% at gcse with little work and now i am doing further maths and its sooooo hard like gcse maths is not a good indicator whatsoever on ur capabilities o do further maths because the mechanics modules they will make u do as u are doing further maths are much harder and require much more understanding than just calculating and the thought and focus u need to solve these problems are immense however if u done additional maths gcse and get an A u will probably do okay but getting an A/A* means u will defo cope with maths but further maths(mechanics modules especially) is a nightmare and 1000x harder than i expected if i could go back 6weeks i would change it but now i feel its wayyyy too late but its up to u i just hope u feel confident doing it as unless u wanna do a maths or computer science degree at a top top uni it really is not neccesry or worth the stress
Reply 13
Woah even though you achieved an A* it's still hard. I'm predicted an A* (currently I've got an A in maths) but from your opinion it seems like further maths is pretty hard whether you have a high grade or not. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest