the 8-pack - genetics or hard damn work?! Watch

Hasufel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don`t consider myself particularly "genetically gifted" (i have thin hair on my head - ergo, not genetically gifted), so imagine my surprise over just this last WEEK (yes, one week!) when (my obliques are already visible, and somewhat satisfactory - not as defined or ripped as i`d like) i have seen a lot of my remaining stomach fat drop off, and a stong "V" cut, together with a six-pack ABOVE my belly button!!!!

I think this means i might have an eight pack - as all six are clearly defined and appear "separate" (even though it is the same muscle). Good chance the last 2 might also be separate!

I am pretty damn chuffed about this, as 7 inches of fat have been exercised and dieted away, but:

What is your view on the 8-pack?

Is it hard work and diet?

Is it accidental genetics?

Do you have/want one?
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have 6 but it's mostly down to genetics and dieting. You can get your abs more pumped and more fuller looking by doing excerices but it's mostly genetics and diet
SmashConcept
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hasufel)
I don`t consider myself particularly "genetically gifted" (i have thin hair on my head - ergo, not genetically gifted),
This has to be the most ridiculous reason ever to assume you're not gifted at something.
Hasufel
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmashConcept)
This has to be the most ridiculous reason ever to assume you're not gifted at something.
just meant (not to hurt my own feelings) that i`m pretty thin on top. I hate the thinning hair genetics has cursed me with! I mean i`m not genetically gifted with thick hair on my head.
zyzzyspirit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hasufel)
just meant (not to hurt my own feelings) that i`m pretty thin on top. I hate the thinning hair genetics has cursed me with! I mean i`m not genetically gifted with thick hair on my head.
Correct if I'm wrong, but there's no link between hair and abdominal muscle genetics.
Hasufel
Rep:
?
(Original post by zyzzyspirit)
Correct if I'm wrong, but there's no link between hair and abdominal muscle genetics.

No. 2 completely separate things. Just clarifying someone going off tangent.
SmashConcept
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I was the one who went off on a tangent.
In One Ear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How many you have is purely down to genetics, though obviously you need increasing levels of leanness to see increasingly more of them and most people are too fat to see any.

I personally actually have 8, but the top 2 are very small and half under my rib-cage it seems like so may as well not be there visually apart from being very small ridges. The middle 4 of mine are big and well developed, and show (to varying degrees) in good lighting until i start getting properly fat (think 20%+) and my bottom 2 are much smaller than the middle 4 (but bigger than the top 2) but only begin to show by cheating and pulling my belly fat down when I'm under 12%. Presumably I'd have to be something like 7-8% for these two to show cleanly normally but I've never been that lean so thats just an educated guess!
JD1lla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's genetics and body fat% and a lot of the time it takes hard work for visible abs. My core is pretty strong, it holds out nicely during max effort squats/deadlifts etc, but a six pack is literally going to be the last thing I see when I cut because a huge majority of my fat is situated around my abs. It sucks. I have fat in the places you want to get rid of the fastest haha
Flather
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's genetics, that's why you seen people with uneven abs, or even people who are shredded who can only get a 4 pac
TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The number of visible abs you can see is pretty much all genetics. You can't really change how your abs appear. Obviously the more you stimulate your abs and shred bodyfat, the more defined they'll be..
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Me and my dad only have 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Proxenus)
Me and my dad only have 4
Between you?
Pegasus2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was down to 12% BF, possibly got to 11% and never saw a 6.
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
Between you?
Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads