Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why is it 911 in america instead of 999?

(Original post by SEX KITTEN)
    because thats how it is and boy did i have a good time tonight

Why do they say sidewalk? They just have to be different don't they!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Why do they say sidewalk? They just have to be different don't they!
    yeh, i just wondered. is it quicker to dial it or something? like when they had the old telephones that spun round?

I don't see Americans using that sort of iniciative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa911)
    because thats how it is and boy did i have a good time tonight
    Why? What did you do? (Being nosy again!!! - Sorry!!! :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    The reason is because they, when they were settling and had a government hated the British and it just shows defiance of the British way of doing things. They drive on the right side of the road too, and in Germany you go on the right as well, to show you dislike the British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Quixote)
    The reason is because they, when they were settling and had a government hated the British and it just shows defiance of the British way of doing things. They drive on the right side of the road too, and in Germany you go on the right as well, to show you dislike the British.
    And if you're a Brit in a tank you'll drive on the left and hit them head on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    And if you're a Brit in a tank you'll drive on the left and hit them head on.
    Did they have tanks when the Americans were settling (1771 abt)? If I were in a tank, I wouldn't bother using the road, I'd go in a straight line, destroying everything in my path. That could just be me, though. How many wars have there been in America, involving tanks?

ReputationRep:
    1771? you mean late 16th century

ReputationRep:
    I heared the story about driving on the left was to with Henry Ford. His cars were made left hand drive, when he made cars for the UK market the UK government insisted that we have always driven of the left so we are not changing just for Ford. So the UK model T's were right hand drive. Europe however gave into his demands and drove on the right. This why the UK and Ireland is different to the rest of Europe.

I am not sure how much truth there is in this story though.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I heared the story about driving on the left was to with Henry Ford. His cars were made left hand drive, when he made cars for the UK market the UK government insisted that we have always driven of the left so we are not changing just for Ford. So the UK model T's were right hand drive. Europe however gave into his demands and drove on the right. This why the UK and Ireland is different to the rest of Europe.

I am not sure how much truth there is in this story though.
    No offense to your theory but i would say tis more probable that the other countries just hate us!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    heh have been up to A&E 6 times in 2 days and been in 2 ambulances.

Tis almost as much as i used to be in them for various reasons! You must be hearing sirens ringing through your ears whenever somebody talks to you.

ReputationRep:
    So kids are less likely to dial it by mistake?

I would say when it comes to a child randomly bashing buttons both are equally likely. Anyway it's bedtime for me, i'm only little and 15, so goodnight all.

ReputationRep:
    No offense to your theory but i would say tis more probable that the other countries just hate us!
    So why would that mean we are one of the few countries to drive on the left? It was the UK being aquade about it not the USA. As the emergency number well its up the government of the country to decide that so I can't see the politics connection.

I don't think the UK is that hated on the whole anyway, and haven't the USA/UK always been good friends (take WW2 for example).

ReputationRep:
    I would say when it comes to a child randomly bashing buttons both are equally likely. Anyway it's bedtime for me, i'm only little and 15, so goodnight all.
    No, because they tend to go for one button and just hammer it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEX KITTEN)
    coz the american and british police would get mixed up

ReputationRep:
    Because 911 ain't the Devil's number when turned upside-down.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.