My girlfriend attacked me while I was driving, what should I do?

Watch
DerBOSS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well basically we have a child and our relation of two years (our daughter is almost 12 months) is rocky to say the least, thus far no one has cheated to my knowledge although I often get accused of it. Anyway, we decided to buy a car and we agreed she would pay £500 toward the insurance, things are going okay. Weeks later (now) we have a row, she says she isn't paying any more toward the car we both wanted, she still owes around £250, at this point I am livid, I tell her I'm pulling over and she can walk home, since I am left with the debt as it is in my name. I turn onto a side street and starting making a three point turn, she grabs my face and scrams me, drawing blood in the process. Obviously I wasn't crying because it hurt but I was infuriated at her for one doing this in front of child who was in car, two potentially damaging the car which would further cost me more by increasing my insurance, and lastly potentially involving others by damaging their property.I am seriously considering calling the police but am unsure whether it would worth it, at this point we are over and I know she will make it difficult for me to see my daughter, I will most likely miss her first party out of spite.In the end I left her there, I did drive off, but quickly returned, she was more concerned with her phone as I offered to take her home, at this point I had enough and left.Should I involve the police, it is teach her a lesson, I mean I am no angel nor do I pretend to be, I shout and have broken things but this has topped it.http://s13.postimg.org/vsyo96053/IMG_8249.jpg
JackFletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It might be time to consider leaving her as if this happens now god knows what it'll be like later. Plus your kid shouldn't have to be put through that. Turn up for their first birthday though, as no kid should have to suffer without their parents on their birthday
stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's horrific. OP, you need to leave her. Forget the money - if you can't pay for the car by yourself, take a loan from the bank or sell it. But you can't stay with her if this is how she is going to treat you. I would say go to the police. Any scene of domestic violence needs to be reported, regardless of who is doing it and who the victim is. You teach her a lesson by making sure she cannot do this to you, nor to anyone else. Also, if you prove to police that she is a violent person, she would find it difficult getting custody of the child.
missytwinpeaks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go to the police. Domestic abuse is never okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
Report 5 years ago
1) take her to court
2) drive the car into a river with her in it.
3) destroy the car
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Contact the police
TanveerSFC
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Imagine if a man did that to a women? everyone would be outraged.

Domestic abuse is never ok regardless of gender.
Contact the police, end things with her. For the child, you'll most likely need to go court to get your rights?
Thickfreakness
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah, same thing happened to me some time ago. My girlfriend at the time attacked me while I was driving, she punched me in the face and drew blood, she's always been very violent and volatile. Horrible experience, I'm sorry you have to go through that. I didn't call the police as I didn't want to cause her any trouble. I don't think you should call the police, everything you do now is for your daughter. Don't give your daughter's mother any sort of ammunition to use against you, do your best to stay on her good side by being civil because if you do something, she'll be more inclined to make life difficult for you and stop you from seeing your daughter. And don't lend her any money, consider yourself solely responsible for your finances from now on. Be civil with her because as far as your child is concerned, the woman holds the cards unfortunately. Women can become very spiteful and vengeful when they're hurt (as the saying goes, hell hath no fury), and there's a child involved in this situation, your child, so do your best to keep the peace. Even though you're no longer with her, you must be civil towards her because you have a child together.
username1623349
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Thickfreakness)
Ah, same thing happened to me some time ago. My girlfriend at the time attacked me while I was driving, she punched me in the face and drew blood, she's always been very violent and volatile. Horrible experience, I'm sorry you have to go through that. I didn't call the police as I didn't want to cause her any trouble. I don't think you should call the police, everything you do now is for your daughter. Don't give your daughter's mother any sort of ammunition to use against you, do your best to stay on her good side by being civil because if you do something, she'll be more inclined to make life difficult for you and stop you from seeing your daughter. And don't lend her any money, consider yourself solely responsible for your finances from now on. Be civil with her because as far as your child is concerned, the woman holds the cards unfortunately. Women can become very spiteful and vengeful when they're hurt (as the saying goes, hell hath no fury), and there's a child involved in this situation, your child, so do your best to keep the peace. Even though you're no longer with her, you must be civil towards her because you have a child together.
I disagree. He should go to the police because it's domestic violence and if it happens once, it'll happen again. No one, especially not the child, deserves to witness or be subject to domestic violence. If he registers that she attacked him, and if he does it while the cuts are still fresh and visible, he will have more of a standing in the custody case. She can't use her child as a weapon when the court will take the child from her altogether if she does.
Thickfreakness
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by georgiaswift)
I disagree. He should go to the police because it's domestic violence and if it happens once, it'll happen again. No one, especially not the child, deserves to witness or be subject to domestic violence. If he registers that she attacked him, and if he does it while the cuts are still fresh and visible, he will have more of a standing in the custody case. She can't use her child as a weapon when the court will take the child from her altogether if she does.
I don't think this incident is worthy of being reported to the police because it doesn't sound very serious. He wasn't seriously harmed or injured, it wasn't a sustained or prolonged attack...considering they have a child, and considering they've been together for two years, it seems a little unnecessary to report her to the police over this one incident, which again didn't result in any serious harm. How do we know it will happen again? It seems a bit harsh in my opinion.
pagorai
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Omg. She's crazy. Dont hesitate to stand up for yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Thickfreakness)
I don't think this incident is worthy of being reported to the police because it doesn't sound very serious. He wasn't seriously harmed or injured, it wasn't a sustained or prolonged attack...considering they have a child, and considering they've been together for two years, it seems a little unnecessary to report her to the police over this one incident, which again didn't result in any serious harm. How do we know it will happen again? It seems a bit harsh in my opinion.
Imagine it was a woman who had been scratched? Most people would be screaming at her to do so, never mind how long the relationship was and even state the man could of been a danger to the kids!

To the OP report it to the police, and try to get custody, I would not be happy leaving a child with a mother who could kick off that easily.

We all have arguments, that is a (sadly) natural part of relationships. Physical violence however should never be acceptable!
username1623349
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DanB1991)
Imagine it was a woman who had been scratched? Most people would be screaming at her to do so, never mind how long the relationship as and even state the man could of been a danger to the kids!

To the OP report it to the police, and try to get custody, I would not be happy leaving a child with a mother who could kick off that easily.

We all have arguments, that is a (sadly) natural part of relationships. Physical violence however should never be acceptable!
Completely agree, you took the words right out of my mouth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise