SpaceNomad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone

Long time lurker, now I finally registered!
I couldn't find a thread about OU's Classical Studies degree - is anyone doing it? Or maybe taking modules from the course?

I'm now on my second maths module with the OU (improve my embarrassingly poor maths skills), so I'm not entirely new to the OU. I have a MSc in Biology from a brick uni and I've studied "traditionally" for quite some time.
However, I've never studied anything other than science or maths in university and I suspect that the arts will be tougher in terms of workload (essays, reading and the like).
Also I've read in the module reviews that the Classics modules (level 2, 3) seem to be hard and the grading at times quite discouraging...?

Maybe it's worth mentioning that I don't intend to study Classics because I "need" the degree, but because ancient culture, and Greek mythology in particular, is something like my childhood sweetheart and I would like to learn about it in a structured way with the extra motivation of getting a degree as reward in the end...

Basically: Is anyone doing the degree or some modules from it? How do you like it? Is it interesting? Do the modules complement each other or is there a lot of repetition? Tell me everything!
SpaceNomad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
No one? Really? :/
Htc13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently doing A276 towards classic degree and I am loving it I am doing this because I am interested in ancient Greek/Rome & returned to studying after over 30 years (I am from maths/accounts background & think this helps in the logic of the Latin language) I completed the two level ones in humanities Oct 14-Sept 15 which I did not really enjoy as I found some of the related subjects you are forced to cover frankly a bore but it was a means to an end & has helped someone with no further educational background become familiar with academic writing & the complexities of bibliography and referencing correctly. Hope this helps you decide
Lastcelt1989
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

Currently doing the degree as well and I would echo what the above poster said. As someone who also has a diehard interest in the Classical World, I am absolutley loving it. Not only do I get a ton of reading material on subjects I love, but you're learning along the way how best interpret and study the material. Not to mention that the Tutors know the subject matter inside and out. Seriously, I turn up to tutorials half an hour early just to pick my A219 tutors brains. A276 is also fantastic, I really think the module materials for that module do the OU credit.

BUT (and it is a big but), like the above poster said, there is some work to do before you get there. For a variety of reasons, a lot (if not all) of the arts and humanities subjects get lumped together in the first year into multi-disciplinary, Level 1 modules. The broad scope of these modules means it's very unlikely that anyone is going to enjoy every aspect to it and you will inevitably end up studying and writing assignments on stuff you couldn't possibly care about. They also serve to lead people by the hand into academic study and writing so as someone with experience on that, you may find tedious.

Like I said though, if you have an interest in the Classical World, it is 100% worth it in the end. My recommendation would be to do as I did; bite the bullet and do the two level one modules in a year (they really aren't difficult), get a pass (all you need from them) and then crack on with the good stuff!
Didi74
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Enrolling soon, I am already studying the Stage 1. Absolutely interesting and stimulating.
POS: My background is liked to the subject
NEG: I work full time therefore lack of time.
I was thinking at English literature but after I looked closer to the study plan I found it not challenging enough.
mrtng61
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Didi74)
Enrolling soon, I am already studying the Stage 1. Absolutely interesting and stimulating.
POS: My background is liked to the subject
NEG: I work full time therefore lack of time.
I was thinking at English literature but after I looked closer to the study plan I found it not challenging enough.
Waiting for 21/03 to enrol I suppose - me too!

Do you have any classics background? Like you, I was expecting to start BA English Lit (possibly with Creative Writing) but while glancing through the Humanities prospectus my eye was drawn to Classical Studies and it just hooked me.

I've started the first book of AA100 (bought secondhand for pennies!) just to get a little familiarity. I did A103 (the old level 1 Arts "taster" course) - the approach seems very similar!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (27)
5.65%
Uncertainty around my education (56)
11.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (57)
11.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (63)
13.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (26)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (50)
10.46%
Financial worries (29)
6.07%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
3.97%
Exposure to negative news/social media (31)
6.49%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.93%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (47)
9.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
7.95%

Watched Threads