The Student Room Group

how useful is an EPQ?

I'm in year 12 and my school has EPQs on their core curriculum, but I don't think it will be very useful for me.
I understand it appeals to unis and it helps develop essay skills, but I don't want to go to uni and I'm doing geography, history and english lit a-levels so I'm getting plenty of essay practice!
Some have said that they are only useful if you have a passionate topic to discuss, which I don't.
EPQ lessons take up 1 hour a week that could otherwise be used as private study for my a-levels.
Their lessons for the rest of this term will be absolutely useless - nothing more than reading skills, and I have no one I know in my class so I can't enjoy the lessons even if they are a doss.
In the long run, EPQs probably won't be a lot of use to me and will only hinder my a-levels. Plus the lessons are REALLY boring and I could put that hour a week to a much better use.
Is it worth battling with the school to get me off EPQ? They do say it's compulsory for all students.
How useful do you think an EPQ is in the long run?
Thanks
They can be a useful tool in an interview and they look good on your UCAS form/personal statement as it shows universities that you have an interest in an area outside the classroom curriculum. If your keen on a particular topic that fits these parameters, go for it!
Reply 2
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
They can be a useful tool in an interview and they look good on your UCAS form/personal statement as it shows universities that you have an interest in an area outside the classroom curriculum. If your keen on a particular topic that fits these parameters, go for it!

Thanks for the help, but I said above that I'm not particularly interested in going to uni. Any other benefits of EPQs that are non-university related?
I'd say do it:
1| For personal interest if you are genuinely interested in a topic
2| If you want to try out research

If you're not interested in what you would be looking into, don't bother -- employers don't care about it that much and you will have to put in a bit of work to get a good grade.
Original post by cosmo321
Thanks for the help, but I said above that I'm not particularly interested in going to uni. Any other benefits of EPQs that are non-university related?

Not really tbh hahah don't let me put you off doing one though!
Reply 5
we went on a UCAS convention where we spoke to people from every university and half of them didn't even know what we were talking about when we mentioned the EPQ so I just dropped it.

If you're gonna do it make sure it's related to what you wanna do in the future because that way you'll be able to talk about it in your interview. And it gives you some UCAS points if you wanna get into a points university.

EDIT: if you're not going to uni i guess it could be an extra qualification and give you some essay writing skills and something to talk about in interviews if it's related to your job or something

but that's it really - if you really wanna do it then go ahead but if i was you i wouldn't bother and you could always do it later on if you really wanted to
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for all the replies, I will probably try to get out of it.
Do you think the school will give me hassle for it since everyone is meant to do one and they even have lessons for it?
Reply 7
Thanks for all the replies, I will probably try to get out of it.
Do you think the school will give me hassle for it since everyone is meant to do one and they even have lessons for it?

probably but just get your parents involved and then they're gonna have to let you go because it's not compulsory and to you it wouldn't be useful. Have a proper meeting with your head of 6th form about it first though and explain why you don't wanna do it.
Reply 8
I made a similar case.

I was told I still have to do it because otherwise I'm not in taught education for enough time per week.

I've written about 100 words in 13 months.
Reply 9
Original post by z33
probably but just get your parents involved and then they're gonna have to let you go because it's not compulsory and to you it wouldn't be useful. Have a proper meeting with your head of 6th form about it first though and explain why you don't wanna do it.

thanks, I do plan on doing this if I decide I definitely don't want to do an EPQ.

Original post by Alexion
I made a similar case.

I was told I still have to do it because otherwise I'm not in taught education for enough time per week.

I've written about 100 words in 13 months.

about the only somewhat valid argument they could use against me. let's hope they don't.
about the only somewhat valid argument they could use against me. let's hope they don't.

I'm not very good at arguing anyway :lol:

My teacher started off by just saying "everyone else has done it, why haven't you?", which shut me up

About 2 minutes later I had a list of several very valid reasons why, but she'd gone by that point...
I'm in year 12 and my school has EPQs on their core curriculum, but I don't think it will be very useful for me.
I understand it appeals to unis and it helps develop essay skills, but I don't want to go to uni and I'm doing geography, history and english lit a-levels so I'm getting plenty of essay practice!
Some have said that they are only useful if you have a passionate topic to discuss, which I don't.
EPQ lessons take up 1 hour a week that could otherwise be used as private study for my a-levels.
Their lessons for the rest of this term will be absolutely useless - nothing more than reading skills, and I have no one I know in my class so I can't enjoy the lessons even if they are a doss.
In the long run, EPQs probably won't be a lot of use to me and will only hinder my a-levels. Plus the lessons are REALLY boring and I could put that hour a week to a much better use.
Is it worth battling with the school to get me off EPQ? They do say it's compulsory for all students.
How useful do you think an EPQ is in the long run?
Thanks

Imo, it is not worth it.
Reply 12
Original post by Alexion
I'm not very good at arguing anyway :lol:

My teacher started off by just saying "everyone else has done it, why haven't you?", which shut me up

About 2 minutes later I had a list of several very valid reasons why, but she'd gone by that point...

so where does that leave you now? are you still going to attempt to do it? how long do you have left?
so where does that leave you now? are you still going to attempt to do it? how long do you have left?

Well, I've got until February now :h: as soon as my Physics coursework is outta the way, I'll have plenty of time to do it properly.

I eventually gave in once I found a topic I was properly interested in :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Alexion
Well, I've got until February now :h: as soon as my Physics coursework is outta the way, I'll have plenty of time to do it properly.

I eventually gave in once I found a topic I was properly interested in :smile:

good luck in it!
It can be useful if your running low on things to mention in your PS - you could say how it reflects your self-motivated approach towards study, has enhanced your research / organisational skills etc...

No joke though it is a lot of work - having to keep record of EVERY single source you look at, and I always find bibliographies and referencing a waste of time and abit of a faff.
Reply 16
thanks for the replies everyone. I have decided to organise a meeting with my parents, my head of year and myself to discuss getting me out of EPQ. Fingers crossed, I may be able to save myself a lot of time and effort!
Reply 17
sad to report a complete abject failure here.
I had a meeting with my head of year and my mum but the head of year laid down the law..
He made a big deal of EPQ being compulsory, and despite my arguments, how useful an EPQ was for whatever I want to do after school.
He said that if he let me off he'd have the rest of the school trying to be let off too.
And so I must continue this pathetic sherade for the rest of sixth form.
A huge failure here.
But hey! Lose a battle and win a war! I'm not sure how that would work in this scenario...
Thanks for all the help everyone. we'll get 'em next time.

Quick Reply

Latest