Rashani
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What is the difference between pearson edexcel as and a level and pearson edexcel international advanced level
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In general.... IAL can be taken in January or Summer, there is a limited number of subjects, there are no practical/coursework for sciences etc, the qualifications are modular allowing units to be sat at different times to complete the qualification, AS results count towards the final grade. The content is more or less the same as old uk GCE. They cannot be taken in the uk.
UK GCE can only be taken in the summer. They have been reformed in some subjects, e.g. Sciences, so the content is different, they are linear with all exams at the end of study. AS exams are optional and the results don't count towards the A level grade. Some subjects have not yet changed and are still modular e.g. Maths, but will do so over the next two years. some have practical assessment or coursework elements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the_queen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
if they are equally recognized, it means that IAL is more advantageous?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the_queen)
if they are equally recognized, it means that IAL is more advantageous?
No, it means that they are aimed at a different set of people.
the_queen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can you be more specific?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can you be more specific?
Please use the quote reply button.

I mean that the international ones cannot be sat by anyone in the UK, so no one here has a choice about which ones to take. The international ones cater for a different market and are sat in countries where the UK exams aren't available. It's not a question of prestige.
the_queen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=Carnationlilyrose;59940627

I mean that the international ones cannot be sat by anyone in the UK, so no one here has a choice about which ones to take. The international ones cater for a different market and are sat in countries where the UK exams aren't available. It's not a question of prestige.[/QUOTE]

I am still confused. It seem that it's easier to take IAL exams than new GCE A level, and after that the students come for application for the same places...
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am still confused. It seem that it's easier to take IAL exams than new GCE A level, and after that the students come for application for the same places...
I'm afraid I don't know what you are confused about. You can't take the IAL exams if you are in the UK. It's not a question of choice. The qualifications are judged to be of the same value - the exam boards have to ensure that - so it makes no difference how the grades were obtained.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads