FRmedStudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,
I'm a French Student really interested to study medicine in UK
I'm almost done with my UCAS application but I still don't know which uni to choose,
Here's a small recap of my academic record,
I did an S (Scientific) baccalaureate in a french High School with the following grades (all the grades are out of 20) and the coefficient will be with a multiply symbol (xN) hope it will be clear: French Oral 18 (x2); Mathematics 09 (x7); Physics-Chemistry 09 (x6); Biological and Geological science 11 (x8): History and Geography 13 (x3); English 14 (x3); Spanish 11 (x2); Philosophy 07 (x3); Sports 12 (x2).
All the differents marks are added together and I obtained 407 out of 760 , 4 bonus points given to me as I did history and geography in english. I concur those are not great marks but based on my academic records of the last two years of my study in high school I had the opportunity to get into France's best medical university, but in France in order to do a a full medical study there's a selection at the end of the 1st year of medicine where a numerus clausus segregate the ones that will pass into 2nd year , the only grades are based on two exams, one at the end of each semester, you have the right to do your 1st year twice and 90% of the student that passes into 2nd year do it twice. Anyway I did it twice having good grades and ranked 900 out of 2000 which means I'm in the first half but not close enough to pass into medicine I managed to have excellent grade in physiology, anatomy biology, histology, biochemistry,ethics and initation to medicinal drug, but failed in physics and mathematics, also as they are only two exams, they are designed to select the ones that "supposed" to be good, I say suppose because the exams are multiple choice and are kind of "*****y" because you need to select only 350 out of a lot of students which makes it quite random. so I've kept good relations with my Professor some who are well known in the small world of med Professor which allowed me to do internship in their service and have a recommendation letter for great med Pr for my UCAS application, regarding my english I consider it to be quite good as I watch and read in English most of the time, I've had a B grade in the certification exam of Cambridge and 95 on my Toefl iBT test. and for my UKCAT scores I did an average score : Verbal Reasoning 580; Quantitative Reasoning 660; Abstract Reasoning 570; Decision Analysis 520; Situational Judgement Band 1.
So here you go! You have all the information now, I really want to go to King's College, but besides I have no clue on which uni to choose according to my academic achievement and not choosing a too bad Uni! I'm very sorry for that lenghty message and posting it in a such short notice but after asking uni and looking on the internet I don't have a proper shepperd to guide me. Thanks in advance to the ones that will read/or reply.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You got 9 in maths? :yikes:
FRmedStudent
Rep:
?
Well Actually the year I pass the exam The French Government discovered that there have been a leak on one of the exercise of the Mathematics scientific baccalaureate one day before the exam therefore they decided to cancel that exercie in the grade and what's horrible is that it was simple probailty and easy to get the maximum mark for it, all the universitites and teacher in france know that regarding our grade in mathemathics
(Original post by Josb)
You got 9 in maths? :yikes:
BTW I completely forgot about this but should I include any details regarding that in my UCAS application
Ana_Maria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is a rank of the best Universities Worldwide for medicine:
http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

Oxford and Cambridge are going to be incredibly competitive to get into, as will UCL and Imperial College London (although these two will probably have less applications because London is really expensive and loans barely cover living expenses), then you've got King's College, followed by Edinburg and the London School of hygiene and tropical medicine (which sounds cool but you need to consider what you want to do and do a lot of research into the establishment because from what I understand it's not a normal university as such because you can do free online courses :
http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/study/freeonl...ses/index.html) Beyond that you've got Queen Mary's, Manchester and Nottingham. The price is usually £9000 for tuition and most Universities have very similar entry requirements when it comes to medicine. You can have a look at all the individual courses, entry requirements etc on UCAS ( http://search.ucas.com/search/provid...=&SubjectCode= )
Best of Luck
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FRmedStudent)
Hi everyone,
I'm a French Student really interested to study medicine in UK
I'm almost done with my UCAS application but I still don't know which uni to choose,
Here's a small recap of my academic record,
I did an S (Scientific) baccalaureate in a french High School with the following grades (all the grades are out of 20) and the coefficient will be with a multiply symbol (xN) hope it will be clear: French Oral 18 (x2); Mathematics 09 (x7); Physics-Chemistry 09 (x6); Biological and Geological science 11 (x8): History and Geography 13 (x3); English 14 (x3); Spanish 11 (x2); Philosophy 07 (x3); Sports 12 (x2).
All the differents marks are added together and I obtained 407 out of 760 , 4 bonus points given to me as I did history and geography in english. I concur those are not great marks but based on my academic records of the last two years of my study in high school I had the opportunity to get into France's best medical university, but in France in order to do a a full medical study there's a selection at the end of the 1st year of medicine where a numerus clausus segregate the ones that will pass into 2nd year , the only grades are based on two exams, one at the end of each semester, you have the right to do your 1st year twice and 90% of the student that passes into 2nd year do it twice. Anyway I did it twice having good grades and ranked 900 out of 2000 which means I'm in the first half but not close enough to pass into medicine I managed to have excellent grade in physiology, anatomy biology, histology, biochemistry,ethics and initation to medicinal drug, but failed in physics and mathematics, also as they are only two exams, they are designed to select the ones that "supposed" to be good, I say suppose because the exams are multiple choice and are kind of "*****y" because you need to select only 350 out of a lot of students which makes it quite random. so I've kept good relations with my Professor some who are well known in the small world of med Professor which allowed me to do internship in their service and have a recommendation letter for great med Pr for my UCAS application, regarding my english I consider it to be quite good as I watch and read in English most of the time, I've had a B grade in the certification exam of Cambridge and 95 on my Toefl iBT test. and for my UKCAT scores I did an average score : Verbal Reasoning 580; Quantitative Reasoning 660; Abstract Reasoning 570; Decision Analysis 520; Situational Judgement Band 1.
So here you go! You have all the information now, I really want to go to King's College, but besides I have no clue on which uni to choose according to my academic achievement and not choosing a too bad Uni! I'm very sorry for that lenghty message and posting it in a such short notice but after asking uni and looking on the internet I don't have a proper shepperd to guide me. Thanks in advance to the ones that will read/or reply.
P.S: I'm a huge fan of IT Crowd and Blackadder hope it will break the ice
Ok several points.

Firstly the deadline is tomorrow and that means you completing the application and then your referee writing your reference and submitting your application. It is far too late to be making this decision.

Secondly that ukcat is far too low to apply to any university that uses it, especially kings.

Thirdly, I doubt anyone on here will know how your grades will translate and if they are even good enough to apply to medicine in the UK. This is something you should have contacted universities about a long time ago.

Finally, UK medical schools rarely, if ever, accept people who have started a medical degree elsewhere. Again you needed to have contacted universities before hand to see if they would accept your application.

Sorry to be harsh, but it's better to be realistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FRmedStudent
Rep:
?
Hi Thanks for the reply!
To begin with my application is completed the only thing left is the choice of the university, I've been to London and asked most of the medical uni about and they told me to apply anyway as most of the Pr will know the equivalency for my medical grade or will ask me details about it. As I said in my first thread my medical Pr have written an honnest but good recommendation letter for me. As I ask all the university about the fact I did two years of the 1st year of medicine in france most of them told me that according to the special status it won't matter, the only that have said I could not was UCL and that to do medicine for UCL I'll have to enter in a Biological undergrad and then possibily apply for med for UCL.
(Original post by ForestCat)
Ok several points.

Firstly the deadline is tomorrow and that means you completing the application and then your referee writing your reference and submitting your application. It is far too late to be making this decision.

Secondly that ukcat is far too low to apply to any university that uses it, especially kings.

Thirdly, I doubt anyone on here will know how your grades will translate and if they are even good enough to apply to medicine in the UK. This is something you should have contacted universities about a long time ago.

Finally, UK medical schools rarely, if ever, accept people who have started a medical degree elsewhere. Again you needed to have contacted universities before hand to see if they would accept your application.

Sorry to be harsh, but it's better to be realistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FRmedStudent
Rep:
?
Hi Thanks for the reply, when it comes to money matters I'm lucky to not think too much about it, I've already looked at the different ranking of different sites, organizations or magazines, my question was more about applying to uni that will most likely accept me but that won't be too bad in terms or quality and reputation...and I've read this
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...T%20Result.pdf
but that haven't helped as I wish..as I'm on my own it's quite difficult to navigate myself in the appropriate choice anyway thanks to both of you for your reply
(Original post by Ana_Maria)
This is a rank of the best Universities Worldwide for medicine:
http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

Oxford and Cambridge are going to be incredibly competitive to get into, as will UCL and Imperial College London (although these two will probably have less applications because London is really expensive and loans barely cover living expenses), then you've got King's College, followed by Edinburg and the London School of hygiene and tropical medicine (which sounds cool but you need to consider what you want to do and do a lot of research into the establishment because from what I understand it's not a normal university as such because you can do free online courses :
http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/study/freeonl...ses/index.html) Beyond that you've got Queen Mary's, Manchester and Nottingham. The price is usually £9000 for tuition and most Universities have very similar entry requirements when it comes to medicine. You can have a look at all the individual courses, entry requirements etc on UCAS ( http://search.ucas.com/search/provid...=&SubjectCode= )
Best of Luck
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Thanks for the reply!
To begin with my application is completed the only thing left is the choice of the university, I've been to London and asked most of the medical uni about and they told me to apply anyway as most of the Pr will know the equivalency for my medical grade or will ask me details about it. As I said in my first thread my medical Pr have written an honnest but good recommendation letter for me. As I ask all the university about the fact I did two years of the 1st year of medicine in france most of them told me that according to the special status it won't matter, the only that have said I could not was UCL and that to do medicine for UCL I'll have to enter in a Biological undergrad and then possibily apply for med for UCL.
Have you registered for the bmat? Because your ukcat is not good enough for kings, barts or st George's. If ucl is not an option then you only have imperial left in London. There are other bmat universities such as Leeds but again I don't know if your academics will qualify you, or if they'll accept you after studying in France

You could apply to Bristol as they use neither the ukcat or bmat. But I'm not sure if your academics are good enough, but it's too late to ask.

If you haven't registered for the bmat then Bristol is your only option. To apply to ukcat schools would be automatic rejection.

Is this reference letter on Ucas ready to go? The day before is to late to be picking medical schools, especially when you've only looked at London universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arusya
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your UKCAT score is quite low, below average, if I were you, I wouldn't apply to unis which require high UKCAT scores, so King's, Newcastle etc. (I assume those grades you have are high enough for medicine and you meet the English language requirements, it is usually 7.0-7.5 in IELTS with 6.0-6.5 minimum in all sections).
Look at BMAT unis (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Brighton&Sussex) if you are going to sit BMAT, if not, you've missed the deadline for registering.
To be honest, you should've considered it earlier, because the deadline is tomorrow.
Look at Bristol (it does not consider the UKCAT score, but your personal statement has to be REALLY good), Cardiff, St.George's etc.
Basically, because your UKCAT score isn't great, look at the unis that don't care about it that much. You can find it here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...T%20Result.pdf
Best of luck, message me if you need help
FRmedStudent
Rep:
?
Hi ForestCat!
No I haven't registered for the bmat as most of the uni for which it is needed seems very selective, is there any uni outside London that will consider my UKCAT score or one that consider the Situational Judgement test to be important? I've asked to a total of 15 uni and none of them have said they will not accept me because I studied in France or did medical. And yes my reference letter is all set! None of them will accept for UKCAT med schools? I've seen a few that said that they have accepted student with min score of 2150 plus my med uni results are good unlike my baccalaureate school.Thanks in advance for your help!
Have you registered for the bmat? Because your ukcat is not good enough for kings, barts or st George's. If ucl is not an option then you only have imperial left in London. There are other bmat universities such as Leeds but again I don't know if your academics will qualify you, or if they'll accept you after studying in France

You could apply to Bristol as they use neither the ukcat or bmat. But I'm not sure if your academics are good enough, but it's too late to ask.

If you haven't registered for the bmat then Bristol is your only option. To apply to ukcat schools would be automatic rejection.

Is this reference letter on Ucas ready to go? The day before is to late to be picking medical schools, especially when you've only looked at London universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi ForestCat!
No I haven't registered for the bmat as most of the uni for which it is needed seems very selective, is there any uni outside London that will consider my UKCAT score or one that consider the Situational Judgement test to be important? I've asked to a total of 15 uni and none of them have said they will not accept me because I studied in France or did medical. And yes my reference letter is all set! None of them will accept for UKCAT med schools? I've seen a few that said that they have accepted student with min score of 2150 plus my med uni results are good unlike my baccalaureate school.Thanks in advance for your help!
Then sadly your only option is Bristol. Your ukcat is not going to be good enough for any medical school that uses it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FRmedStudent
Rep:
?
Hi ForestCat and Arusya, thanks a lot for all your advice!
So finally after what you've said and carefully browsing on other sites I've decided to apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Central Lancashire and I've narrowed a few for the 4th Choice between Keele, Nottingham or St Andrews, as I understood my UKCA is not very good so I can only rely on my good academic result of the 1st year of medicine, my good reference letter made by my Professor, my experience in the palliative medecine service of Necker Child hospital, I don't know if it's allowed to post my essay here so if anyone would like to see it I can send it by message. Thanks everybody for your advice I was thinking to put as a 5th choice an application for a bioligical science degree or something close like neurology or else will it be wise to do so? thanks in advance!
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi ForestCat and Arusya, thanks a lot for all your advice!
So finally after what you've said and carefully browsing on other sites I've decided to apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Central Lancashire and I've narrowed a few for the 4th Choice between Keele, Nottingham or St Andrews, as I understood my UKCA is not very good so I can only rely on my good academic result of the 1st year of medicine, my good reference letter made by my Professor, my experience in the palliative medecine service of Necker Child hospital, I don't know if it's allowed to post my essay here so if anyone would like to see it I can send it by message. Thanks everybody for your advice I was thinking to put as a 5th choice an application for a bioligical science degree or something close like neurology or else will it be wise to do so? thanks in advance!
Universities don't generally accept results from first year of a university course they would still look at your school grades. Work experience and reference do not compensate for poor grades.

Do you have £36k a year to pay for uclan? It's a private university so you don't get help with fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FRmedStudent
Rep:
?
I can pay up to £25k a year depending on the euro/pound rate, so according to you I shouldn't apply at any uni at all??!
Universities don't generally accept results from first year of a university course they would still look at your school grades. Work experience and reference do not compensate for poor grades.

Do you have £36k a year to pay for uclan? It's a private university so you don't get help with fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can pay up to £25k a year depending on the euro/pound rate, so according to you I shouldn't apply at any uni at all??!
I'm saying you needed to have done research far earlier. Realistically you can only apply to Bristol and I don't even know if they would accept your qualifications.

It's up to you if you want to apply and risk it. Or try again next year and aim for a better ukcat and bmat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FRmedStudent
Rep:
?
Yeah I see, the problem I decided quite recently to apply for UK so that didn't really helped. Anyway I have nothing to loose by applying thanks everyone for the advices and guidance!
I'm saying you needed to have done research far earlier. Realistically you can only apply to Bristol and I don't even know if they would accept your qualifications.

It's up to you if you want to apply and risk it. Or try again next year and aim for a better ukcat and bmat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (356)
83.96%
No (68)
16.04%

Watched Threads