Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    someone came up to you and asked you for some money for a train ticket...explaining that he's a tourist and has missed his tour bus somehow and needs to get to the airport asap....? would u give him the money or would you think he's a con man?

Oh sorry, i never seem to have money on me when people need it. Then i go off and buy something. I know it's cruel but just in case he isn't genuine, i hate the idea of wasting my money on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Oh sorry, i never seem to have money on me when people need it. Then i go off and buy something. I know it's cruel but just in case he isn't genuine, i hate the idea of wasting my money on that.
    i know!! i feel that way too!!!
    last night, a man approached a friend and i...almost in tears...asking for directions to the nearest train station. we told him where to go..etc...and then he asked for some money... i didnt wanna give any but my friend did! he promised to pay my friend back and they exchanged phone numbers and stuff....and i was thinking...if i were alone...i would have had to give him something or he may turn round and stab me or something....

what are the chances he's genuine?? how would u know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    someone came up to you and asked you for some money for a train ticket...explaining that he's a tourist and has missed his tour bus somehow and needs to get to the airport asap....? would u give him the money or would you think he's a con man?
    In London, especially round stations like Leicester Square, there are professional conmen who ask for your used travelcard and can tout it on, and I suppose some must just go asking everyone for money. I've definitely seen the same character round three different stations (all on the same line) asking for money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceepee)
    In London, especially round stations like Leicester Square, there are professional conmen who ask for your used travelcard and can tout it on, and I suppose some must just go asking everyone for money. I've definitely seen the same character round three different stations (all on the same line) asking for money...
    but this man didnt start by asking for money....he asked for directions first and asked how much it costs for a train ticket to the airport...we stupidly told him and his whole face just changed.....he started tearing and then he asked for money...which man can bring himself to cry like that?

if i were alone..would it be better for me to give him something? he may just kidnap me if i dont right?

I don't think he would kidnapp over such a trivial sum of money. Also i can make myself cry if i really want to, so don't always believe that. Not giving money is the best way to go usually.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to go to the nearest Police station or Tourist Information Office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    then he would ask for directions again and a taxi fare....etc... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I agree

I had my bag stolen in central London a few yers ago (ironically I was drinking with a group of met police at the time!) when you report the theft you get a card with the date and crime reference number which allows you to travel for free on public transport for that day.

If they were genuine then they would be greatful for the info.

These are the kind of situations you look back on and think "I should have done .......... " but you never do at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to give people money by what they look like?
    Students, esp. females ones that look genuinely upset and disorientated get my sympathy.... and anyone below 15 years old.

I dunno.. I'm VERY judgemental so it really depends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    These are the kind of situations you look back on and think "I should have done .......... " but you never do at the time.
    yeah!!!!
    actually...i was pulling my friend away but he was so drawn to this man!! :confused: i know the money is lost forever...but its not abt the money..its a matter of principles!...but then again..he was crying! argh!! i dont know whether we did the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    then he would ask for directions again and a taxi fare....etc... :confused:
    You've told him where the train station is. He can ask for help there.

ReputationRep:
    never give them money
    never
    what get on my nerve is when they have a child with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    I tend to give people money by what they look like?
    Students, esp. females ones that look genuinely upset and disorientated get my sympathy.... and anyone below 15 years old.

I dunno.. I'm VERY judgemental so it really depends.
    really?? i dont tend to trust anybody!! the whole kid and mum thing may be part of the whole set up....
    but in this case.....a crying man.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yup, the person is likely to be a con. Don't trust people these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    really?? i dont tend to trust anybody!! the whole kid and mum thing may be part of the whole set up....
    but in this case.....a crying man.... :eek:
    Yeah and you see the same kid with 3 different 'mothers' if you go past the same spot often enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Yeah and you see the same kid with 3 different 'mothers' if you go past the same spot often enough.
    haha lol

ReputationRep:
    LOL!!! exactly. Even the most innocent looking people can be untrustworthy.

ReputationRep:
    There's a regular in Manchester who covers his blood in head, puts on a canadian accent, and gets on the metrolink. He has this story about how he was taking money out of an ATM and somebody knocked him over the head with a baseball bat, and when he woke up they had emptied his account, and that he needs to get to Heathrow to catch his flight home. I gave him £2, then I saw him twice more over the period of a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    There's a regular in Manchester who covers his blood in head, puts on a canadian accent, and gets on the metrolink. He has this story about how he was taking money out of an ATM and somebody knocked him over the head with a baseball bat, and when he woke up they had emptied his account, and that he needs to get to Heathrow to catch his flight home. I gave him £2, then I saw him twice more over the period of a year
    Covered his blood with head!? Bloody hell, worth the £2 imo
    I have experienced the classic beggar guy that blatantly has no home asking for bus fare for a ride home, hate it when people lie to me, even if it is really petty. So I just gave him a couple of quid telling him to a have a couple of drinks on me. He seemed happy enough, and didn't even bother changing his position, just asked the people behind me for money :rolleyes:

W.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.