Check my GCSE french? Watch

haychbarton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Im really not good at french but i am aiming for a high grade in it so can someone please correct my work?
(ignore the fact there are no accents i cant do them on here)

autant que je sache , la semaine prochaine, je vais devoir aller au sud de France et ma mere va m'accompagner. Nous voyagerons en bateau ce qui va etre infiniment long et aussi,la nourriture ce cera(ella sera?) degueulasse parce qu'ils ont serve des repas qui peuvent aller au micro-ondes.

As far as i know, next week i am going to have to go to the south of france and my mother is going to accompany me. We will travel by boat which is going to be very long and also, the food will be disgusting because they only serve microwaveable food.

si je gagnais a loterie, mes vacances de reves seraient aller a les anges parce que je pourrais rencontrer beaucoup de celebrites ce qui augmenterait mes chances de devenir celebre. Ma mere dit que je suis trop irrealisable sur l'avenir bien que je pense que tout le monde ils devraient aspirer a faire des choses etonnantes car la vie est trop courte.

If i won the lottery, my dream holiday would be to go to los angeles becuase i would meet lots of celebrities which would increase my chances of becoming famous. My mother says that i am too impracticable about the future although i think that everybody should aspire to do amazing things because life is too short.

je dirais que preferer aller a les vacances avec mes copains car j'ai plus liberte. Quand j'etais petit,je voyageais avec mes parents et nous allions a suede. quelle horreur!

i would say that i prefer to go on holiday with my mates because i have more freedom. when i was younger, i used to travel with my parents and we use to go to sweden. how awful!

merci beaucoup!
JackFletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not sure if pourrais is right for would, but apart from that it looks good
haychbarton
Rep:
?
(Original post by JackFletch)
Not sure if pourrais is right for would, but apart from that it looks good
i just double checked to make sure and i think je pourrais is right for i would:

http://french.about.com/od/verb_conj.../a/pouvoir.htm

thanks for the feedback though
JackFletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought it was for could but okay
haychbarton
Rep:
?
(Original post by JackFletch)
I thought it was for could but okay
oh yeh it does! haha sorry i obviously just didnt translate properly when i was writing the english version
thewickedllama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think "la nourriture ce cera(ella sera?) degueulasse" should be "la nourriture sera degueulasse", you don't need "ce" in front of sera. It makes sense but isn't really used in writing. That would be more like saying "The food, it'll be disgusting" rather than "the food will be disgusting".

Also I'm not quite sure about "parce qu'ils ont serve des repas qui peuvent aller au micro-ondes." That translates to "because they have served (are you trying to use the perfect tense?) meals which can go microwaved". Simply "parce qu'ils servent seulement (only) les repas au micro-ondes" sounds more fluent. Maybe you're thinking along the lines that 'aller' needs to go before 'au', but 'au micro-ondes' doesn't need to be treated any differently than a normal adjective. I think you're trying to use the perfect tense with "ils ont serve" but it doesn't fit the context at all, although I know throwing in a tense gets marks. If you really want to use the perfect then it would be "parce qu'ils ont servé seulement des repas au micro-ondes".

Also, "tout le monde ils devraient aspirer" would surely just be "tout le monde devrait aspirer". Again in written form that translates to "everybody, they should aspire" rather that "everybody should aspire". And it needs to be "devrait" rather than "devraient" because "tout le monde" isn't plural, despite meaning 'everyone'. It uses the same verb endings as 'il/elle/on'.

I think "plus liberté" should be "plus de liberté", because 'de' needs to be in there if you're saying you'll have more or less OF something.

For GCSE this is so good and accurate though, you'll definitely get a high grade. You have a strong grasp of complex structures and tenses. I would have expected way more mistakes than that... I might have missed some, though. I'm doing A Level but I certainly mess up sometimes. Well done.
beyknowles2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"je vais devoir aller" - no. Doesn't really work, I'd suggest "je devrai" I will have to (future tense)..

in fact I'm not going to correct anymore as there's a lot of mistakes, correcting it would mean redoing all of your work for you. I would suggest asking your teacher for help

at the very least you should know that 'à' and 'les' contract to make 'aux' i.e. 'à les anges' --> aux anges
thewickedllama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I noticed 'a les anges' too, but Les Anges means Los Angeles - it's a proper noun, so actually I think you're right in saying "à Les Anges". Aux anges wouldn't make sense if you're talking about Los Angeles. Had to read your post properly to make sure, but yeah. Definitely not wrong.
haychbarton
Rep:
?
(Original post by thewickedllama)
I think "la nourriture ce cera(ella sera?) degueulasse" should be "la nourriture sera degueulasse", you don't need "ce" in front of sera. It makes sense but isn't really used in writing. That would be more like saying "The food, it'll be disgusting" rather than "the food will be disgusting".

Also I'm not quite sure about "parce qu'ils ont serve des repas qui peuvent aller au micro-ondes." That translates to "because they have served (are you trying to use the perfect tense?) meals which can go microwaved". Simply "parce qu'ils servent seulement (only) les repas au micro-ondes" sounds more fluent. Maybe you're thinking along the lines that 'aller' needs to go before 'au', but 'au micro-ondes' doesn't need to be treated any differently than a normal adjective. I think you're trying to use the perfect tense with "ils ont serve" but it doesn't fit the context at all, although I know throwing in a tense gets marks. If you really want to use the perfect then it would be "parce qu'ils ont servé seulement des repas au micro-ondes".

Also, "tout le monde ils devraient aspirer" would surely just be "tout le monde devrait aspirer". Again in written form that translates to "everybody, they should aspire" rather that "everybody should aspire". And it needs to be "devrait" rather than "devraient" because "tout le monde" isn't plural, despite meaning 'everyone'. It uses the same verb endings as 'il/elle/on'.

I think "plus liberté" should be "plus de liberté", because 'de' needs to be in there if you're saying you'll have more or less OF something.

For GCSE this is so good and accurate though, you'll definitely get a high grade. You have a strong grasp of complex structures and tenses. I would have expected way more mistakes than that... I might have missed some, though. I'm doing A Level but I certainly mess up sometimes. Well done.
Thank you so much! French is a subject i chose to do as an extra gcse and i only get one lesson a week on it so my french isn't as as strong as it should be but i really appreciate you looking over my work
beyknowles2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thewickedllama)
I noticed 'a les anges' too, but Les Anges means Los Angeles - it's a proper noun, so actually I think you're right in saying "à Les Anges". Aux anges wouldn't make sense if you're talking about Los Angeles. Had to read your post properly to make sure, but yeah. Definitely not wrong.
Apologies I just skimmed! Surely Los Angeles stays the same as it's Spanish? We don't translate it to 'The angels' in English
beyknowles2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by haychbarton)
Thank you so much! French is a subject i chose to do as an extra gcse and i only get one lesson a week on it so my french isn't as as strong as it should be but i really appreciate you looking over my work
"This is so good and accurate" don't be fooled by that comment. There were countless inaccuracies but nice work it's clear to me what you mean so just carry on working at it. C'est-à-dire que tu exprimes de bonnes idées, mais il faut travailler à la grammaire.
haychbarton
Rep:
?
(Original post by beyknowles2)
"This is so good and accurate" don't be fooled by that comment. There were countless inaccuracies but nice work it's clear to me what you mean so just carry on working at it. C'est-à-dire que tu exprimes de bonnes idées, mais il faut travailler à la grammaire.
cool
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (407)
56.84%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (104)
14.53%

Watched Threads