thatsomaurice
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The title says it all, which between Arts University Bournemouth, University for the Creative Arts and Norwich University of Arts is the best for the film production course (in general)?
rose-98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! I'm literally in the same situation, have you been to an AUB open day yet? I have one in December but I'm really interested to know what it's like! AUB has an internationally recognised degree, and NUA is number one in the UK for cinematics so I think they're both pretty good!
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
I can't attend any open day, in general ahahah
Anyway, UCA has a lot of important alumni (four oscar winners in particular) and the course is quite famous, that's why I put it in my top 5!
So, you think that NUA, since is the best in cinematics, is gonna be more theorycal than practical?
And I actually think that AUB is the best between these three
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I visited NUA last week and it was absolutely incredible! I believe that the course is 100% practical which I love.
AUB looks great, the facilities look amazing!
I'm not sure about UCA yet, I know that it does has theory modules, but I'm looking for a more practical based course!
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
NUA is 100% practical? OMG amazing 😍
anyway, how was the open day? What you did like about it and what was the worst part? Ahahah
and yeah, AUB in general seems way more organised than the other two... but i like all of them!
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Open day was brilliant! The buildings were incredible - the media labs where all of the computers were are in an old monastery building, there's so many computers with all of the software to edit with! They have a lot of equipment, and you can hire it out which is brilliant - as well as the fact that you can sit in on other classes if you wish (e.g animation). Nothing really to complain about, apart from there was no large social areas as it is quite a small university - but Norwich has a lot of places anyways to do that kind of thing. Really lovely city, brilliant architecture!!
AUB seems awesome, especially with 4 studio spaces to film!!
What are your other options?
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
(Original post by rose-98)
Open day was brilliant! The buildings were incredible - the media labs where all of the computers were are in an old monastery building, there's so many computers with all of the software to edit with! They have a lot of equipment, and you can hire it out which is brilliant - as well as the fact that you can sit in on other classes if you wish (e.g animation). Nothing really to complain about, apart from there was no large social areas as it is quite a small university - but Norwich has a lot of places anyways to do that kind of thing. Really lovely city, brilliant architecture!!
AUB seems awesome, especially with 4 studio spaces to film!!
What are your other options?
Yeah, and is not far from London
I'm happy to hear is a nice uni!
Anyway, my other options? That's hard ahahah
I'm sure about AUB, Falmouth, UCA and Kent. Thinking about the last one between NUA, Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier!
what about you?
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe UAL and Gloucestershire!
MrNova
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thatsomaurice)
Yeah, and is not far from London
I'm happy to hear is a nice uni!
Anyway, my other options? That's hard ahahah
I'm sure about AUB, Falmouth, UCA and Kent. Thinking about the last one between NUA, Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier!
what about you?
isn't it 2 hours+ away?
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by MrNova)
isn't it 2 hours+ away?
1.30 actually, i think

Posted from TSR Mobile
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where did you choose in the end, and have you got any offers?
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
Where did you choose in the end, and have you got any offers?
Hey, yeah!
AUB rejected me
UCA accepted me a week after I sent my portfolio
NUA accepted me after an interview, and I think that now the problem is to choose between NUA and Falmouth (i have an interview on the 17th of march). Seriously, they're both good and amazing ahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AUB rejected me too!
I have offers from UCA and NUA also! It's between those two now, think I'm leaning towards UCA!

I didn't apply to Falmouth, it's too far away! Good luck for the interview!
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
Well, good job ahahah
and yeah, Fal is like in the middle of nowhere but that's pretty fascinating I think, is like a world out from the world, you know what I mean? Ahahah
So, why UCA instead of NUA? (Just curious, I know that UCA has incredible alumni ahahah)

AUB rejected me too!
I have offers from UCA and NUA also! It's between those two now, think I'm leaning towards UCA!

I didn't apply to Falmouth, it's too far away! Good luck for the interview!
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, people who I know who have been to the open days have said it is amazing!
And I loved both but UCA felt more like the place that I could spend my next 3 years! I liked that it is a campus uni rather than the buildings being separated like at NUA (I'm not basing my uni choices just on the place hahaha).
NUA does have more practical units to offer on their course I believe, which is the only thing that is stopping me from confirming UCA right now!

What makes NUA rank higher than UCA for you? (Same here, just curious!)
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
Yeah, people who I know who have been to the open days have said it is amazing!
And I loved both but UCA felt more like the place that I could spend my next 3 years! I liked that it is a campus uni rather than the buildings being separated like at NUA (I'm not basing my uni choices just on the place hahaha).
NUA does have more practical units to offer on their course I believe, which is the only thing that is stopping me from confirming UCA right now!

What makes NUA rank higher than UCA for you? (Same here, just curious!)
Lot of things, actually ahaha
Apart Norwich as a city, I think that by being more selective (as a uni) is harder to find people who got accepted even if they dont want to do anything (and in film is a huge problem since you work in a team): I talked to different students from Fal and UCA and they said they have some people in their courses whose attitude put all the group down.
NUA is the most selective between these three (42% against UCA's 62% and Falmouth's 69%), and in general is motivating to be in a place where you were totally choosen from others applicants for being there. Does it make sense?
Also they told me Farnham is adorable but a bit expensive, while Falmouth and Norwich are adorable and cheaper ahahah
So yeah, also the NUA course is placed higher in the league tables so yeah ahahg
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That completely makes sense! There is nothing worse than being in a group with people who are not motivated!!

I knew that NUA was selective, I remember at the open day some crazy statistic about how many people applied versus how many people they accept. It's a nice feeling to know that they chose you!

Farnham is adorable! The area is so lovely!

I haven't checked the league tables in a while, I didn't realise they were higher! Plus, NUA is a Skillset Accredited course which is good!
I thought UCA would have been higher because the course has been running for about 50 years, whereas the course at NUA is not as old!

Did you get to see the new studio at NUA? It wasn't open at my open day and on the day of my interview I didn't get a chance to see it!

Now I'm not sure what to do!
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?
That completely makes sense! There is nothing worse than being in a group with people who are not motivated!!

I knew that NUA was selective, I remember at the open day some crazy statistic about how many people applied versus how many people they accept. It's a nice feeling to know that they chose you!

I haven't checked the league tables in a while, I didn't realise they were higher! Plus, NUA is a Skillset Accredited course which is good!
I thought UCA would have been higher because the course has been running for about 50 years, whereas the course at NUA is not as old!

Did you get to see the new studio at NUA? It wasn't open at my open day and on the day of my interview I didn't get a chance to see it!

I didn't attend open days at all since I'm from Italy and I've exam all year ahahahah

And actually I was sure that UCA was more modern than NUA, since this year is 170 years old ahahah and I'm sure that both the unis have the creative skillset so no worries, both are incredibly good!

UCA has a lot of important pros: close to london, 4 oscar-11 bafta (in like... 15 years or so?), great reputation for film...

yeah, is hard to choose.

NUA and Falmouth are my favs, but I'll always live with the thought "what could have happened if I attended UCA?" ahahaha
thatsomaurice
Rep:
?

I didn't attend open days at all since I'm from Italy and I've exam all year ahahahah

And actually I was sure that UCA was more modern than NUA, since this year is 170 years old ahahah and I'm sure that both the unis have the creative skillset so no worries, both are incredibly good!

UCA has a lot of important pros: close to london, 4 oscar-11 bafta (in like... 15 years or so?), great reputation for film...

yeah, it's hard to choose.

NUA and Falmouth are my favs, but I'll always live with the thought "what could have happened if I attended UCA?" ahahaha

and the showreel is amazing 😍😍
rose-98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh yeah NUA is an old uni, I just think that the course itself is pretty modern!

Travelling into London easily is a massive pro of being at UCA! Plus, you get to work with actual film on one of the modules which I think is really cool! The reputation is great! Similarly, so is the reputation for NUA, and Falmouth!

Both are amazing! We'll see what happens! I'm so indecisive so I probably won't choose for a while!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed