kbisgrove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,
Sorry for the long paragraphs but need to get some advice.

I recently moved into a house outside uni campus with four boys who I lived on campus with last year. (I'm a second year student and a girl btw) and I've been having nothing but grief since Ive moved in. Last year we had such a laugh and I thought it would be nice to move in with them considering I get along with boys easier anyway. Yet since I've moved in they are leaving me out of everything since I brought my boyfriend round (who they've known before and is also a Uni student).
I ignored it and decided to just spend more time with other friends. But then I started getting nasty texts saying how I've left the bins out in wrong bin bags and other moans about the things I've done in the house.
Thing is, I'm a very tidy person and they leave the bin overflowing, takeaway sits on the tables for days, make noise until 1am, they smoke in the living room (I don't smoke) and bring random friends over all the time.

So I feel like I shouldn't tidy up after them, especially after I hoovered the whole house one day and then had the boys diliberately come into the living room, drop pizza on the floor and tell me that I did a good job hoovering up so I should Hoover it up again!

Just recently one housemate moaned and told me I left the water pump on. Which I then flipped and said to them all that they should tidy the kitchen as there is washing up that's been sitting there for two weeks (no exxgeration) and it's growing mould on the plates. Which I then have to clean myself to use. All four of them then went mental at me and said it's also my mess yet I wash up everytime and also have started keeping all my food and kitchen stuff in my room (another issue).

I'm sick of being treated like I'm their mothers and the list could go on with other stuff they've said and done. But I don't know what to do. Sounds childish really but I'm crying most nights because of it. And can hear them now laughing and joking about me because I went storming up to my room. It's bullying and I don't know what to do. Any help please?
Cinnamon Buns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kbisgrove)
Hey,
Sorry for the long paragraphs but need to get some advice.

I recently moved into a house outside uni campus with four boys who I lived on campus with last year. (I'm a second year student and a girl btw) and I've been having nothing but grief since Ive moved in. Last year we had such a laugh and I thought it would be nice to move in with them considering I get along with boys easier anyway. Yet since I've moved in they are leaving me out of everything since I brought my boyfriend round (who they've known before and is also a Uni student).
I ignored it and decided to just spend more time with other friends. But then I started getting nasty texts saying how I've left the bins out in wrong bin bags and other moans about the things I've done in the house.
Thing is, I'm a very tidy person and they leave the bin overflowing, takeaway sits on the tables for days, make noise until 1am, they smoke in the living room (I don't smoke) and bring random friends over all the time.

So I feel like I shouldn't tidy up after them, especially after I hoovered the whole house one day and then had the boys diliberately come into the living room, drop pizza on the floor and tell me that I did a good job hoovering up so I should Hoover it up again!

Just recently one housemate moaned and told me I left the water pump on. Which I then flipped and said to them all that they should tidy the kitchen as there is washing up that's been sitting there for two weeks (no exxgeration) and it's growing mould on the plates. Which I then have to clean myself to use. All four of them then went mental at me and said it's also my mess yet I wash up everytime and also have started keeping all my food and kitchen stuff in my room (another issue).

I'm sick of being treated like I'm their mothers and the list could go on with other stuff they've said and done. But I don't know what to do. Sounds childish really but I'm crying most nights because of it. And can hear them now laughing and joking about me because I went storming up to my room. It's bullying and I don't know what to do. Any help please?
Pause.

And so did you...?

If you did then I don't feel for you.
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Considering I get along with boys easier"

http://images.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/7483...livia-munn.jpg
E air
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Shed End)

gah, you beat me to it
drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's common student/young person flatmate issues.

I actually experienced almost the opposite way of most people, flatmates who had a rota for cleaning first, then ones that werent that bad, then I spent a few years out of education went back and had guys who stole food, smoked cannabis, had friends one till the most recent 2 places I stayed one had a guy who invited random strangers back from club for all nighters, there was about 18 bin bags full at back of house when I moved in, drink stains on furniture which I all cleaned up and he boasted to his friend about how I do everything for him, then finally moved somewhere where guy had lived there 2 years on his own and the kitchen had multiple overflowing stinking bin bags, spilled coffee and sugar on sideboards, tobacco coated into tables which I spent 7 hours cleaning, went for a 2 hour nap to waken up to hear flatmate in kitchen, came out to find him emptied his tobacco packet onto table and make multiple roll ups and the tobacco was even spilled on floor and coffee stains on the sofa already.

Its a shame as the only other thing to do is live alone but then thats lonely.
Ekno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

https://media.giphy.com/media/aLdiZJmmx4OVW/giphy.gif
Cinnamon Buns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

That looks disgusting and I don't get it.
kbisgrove
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by drbluebox)
It's common student/young person flatmate issues.

I actually experienced almost the opposite way of most people, flatmates who had a rota for cleaning first, then ones that werent that bad, then I spent a few years out of education went back and had guys who stole food, smoked cannabis, had friends one till the most recent 2 places I stayed one had a guy who invited random strangers back from club for all nighters, there was about 18 bin bags full at back of house when I moved in, drink stains on furniture which I all cleaned up and he boasted to his friend about how I do everything for him, then finally moved somewhere where guy had lived there 2 years on his own and the kitchen had multiple overflowing stinking bin bags, spilled coffee and sugar on sideboards, tobacco coated into tables which I spent 7 hours cleaning, went for a 2 hour nap to waken up to hear flatmate in kitchen, came out to find him emptied his tobacco packet onto table and make multiple roll ups and the tobacco was even spilled on floor and coffee stains on the sofa already.

Its a shame as the only other thing to do is live alone but then thats lonely.
Thanks for an actual decent reply haha! Well to be honest i'd rather that then live here anymore. Sounds horrible with what you live with too!
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could try and call a flat meeting to discuss how everyone feels and come to a compromise but unfortunately if you're the minority in wanting things clean you might be best just keeping quiet and staying out of their way, do what you're prepared to do, don't expect them to do anything, ignore any childish texts/remarks and don't let them see they're getting to you. Your only other option is to try and find a replacement tenant for your place in the house but that is a real long shot.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Boys will be boys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (185)
61.26%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.97%
No- I want it (83)
27.48%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.28%

Watched Threads