Flyer24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So i'm currently deciding which options to pursue in order to study medicine at university. I have already decided that I would like to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A-level. However I need a fourth and I'm currently stuck for ideas.

Can't really decide between Psychology, Politics and Philosophy. I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight into how these subjects are at a-level. E.g- Workload, syllabus, enjoyment etc.
Dexterous
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Further Additional Maths.
ubisoft
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
general studies and critical thinking
Flyer24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Dexterous)
Further Additional Maths.
I refuse to study that satanic version of regular maths :diep:
troubadour.
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Flyer24)
So i'm currently deciding which options to pursue in order to study medicine at university. I have already decided that I would like to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A-level. However I need a fourth and I'm currently stuck for ideas.

Can't really decide between Psychology, Politics and Philosophy. I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight into how these subjects are at a-level. E.g- Workload, syllabus, enjoyment etc.
I suggest you look up the syllabus for each and decide which looks the most enjoyable. Your other three subjects are pretty heavy science-y subjects and certainly enough to satisfy the requirements of any medical school so you should do yourself a favour and pick an easier subject as your fourth one. No point making misery for yourself.
Questioner1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
None are incredibly relevant and so it probably won't matter. Just see which is easier for you to get a good grade(A/A*) for medicine.
medicapplicant
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Flyer24)

Do Psychology it fits in nicely with Biology and is relevant if you want to study Medicine.
Sophiea2106
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I originally wanted to go into medicine (although that's kind of changed now). I do biology, chemistry and psychology and I'd honestly say if you're looking to do medicine, you've got your 2 sciences and maths is always good to have, i'd take something you think you'll enjoy or something you're good at (something academic's preferable but see what will compliment the 3 you've already chosen). My work load's heavy because I'm doing 3 science based subjects, so take that into account, but it's not unbearable, I still have time to do stuff I want to do. Seems like simple advice but go on Uni websites and see what they accept/prefer but more importantly what they don't accept (especially now because of the A-Level reform).

As I said, I do psychology and whilst it's a lot of work, as long as you have a genuine interest it's no hardship. It's all exam based now (all though you have extended writing questions within your paper, but they just take practice). You do 3 exams at the end of your second year (unless you sign up for AS) and the papers consist of multiple choice, short answer and then extended writing questions. I'm doing AQA which i think is what most colleges do and our topics are:

Paper 1: Social influence, memory, attachment and psychopathology
Paper 2: Approaches in psychology, biopsychology and research methods
Paper 3: Issues and debates in psychology (compulsory) and then your college/sixth form decides on the optional topics (I think they choose one from each option, but I'm not sure)

Option 1 - Relationships, Gender or Cognition and development
Option 2 - Schizophrenia, eating behaviour or stress
Option 3 - Aggression, forensic psychology or addiction

I really enjoy psychology (I think most of my group do to), but it does require an interest in the subject, as does anything at A - Level. You'll get to attend a induction day prior to starting where you can sample the subjects you're interested in, so don't worry too much. It sounds daft, but on the induction day you'll just know if the subjects are right for you. Good luck!
ubisoft
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by medicapplicant)
Do Psychology it fits in nicely with Biology and is relevant if you want to study Medicine.
Don't do this.
KingAuthor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say chemistry, biology, mathematics/statistics and another A level you can get a good grade in (academic would be preferred at AS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
medicapplicant
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ubisoft)
Don't do this.
Why not?!
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not going to make any difference, so just go for the one that interests you the most, or that you think you'll do well in.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would have thought psychology be extremely relevant to medicine.
Medicine - the field where decision making is extremely important, where you have to treat psychological disorders (extremely high prevalence), inform patients, treat those with learning problems and/or requiring advocacy. Then there is the thing about one of the most significant things to outcomes is just plain support (placebo goes a huge way), and creating a rapport with patients.
May be biased though - having done a psych. degree. Not sure how relevant A level psych is, having not done it ^^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads