Milo Yiannopoulos banned from speaking at Manchester University Watch

KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Milo Yiannopoulos has been banned from speaking at an event at Manchester University called ‘From liberation to censorship: does modern feminism have a problem with free speech?’ due to his opinions on "rape culture".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Y...her_activities

http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/a...ion-05-10-2015

How do you feel about this?
Unkempt_One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If the students' unions aren't able to manage their facilities in a mature manner then I think their assets should be relinquished to the university.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They need to look up the word irony.
No platforming is common on American campuses and it appears to be the road that the closed minds of an increasing number SU's here are heading down too.

jeremy1988
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think it will be effective at suppressing those opinions long-term. It just makes the people who refused to let him speak look like tyrants, and ultimately ends up hurting their cause even if they disagree with him.

Making feminism look like a movement that doesn't tolerate criticism only appears to prove his point, valid or not. No one who would have disagreed with him would have been swayed by his words, and everyone who does agree with him will cite this incident to justify themselves. I think their refusal to let him speak was more damaging to the movement than his words could have been. He'll find another platform for his views, and his supporters won't forget the attempt to silence him.

I don't agree with his views, but I still think he has the right to express them. And everyone else has the right to boo at him and express disapproval. Allowing someone to speak but then tearing their message apart and mocking it later on is far more effective at discrediting their views than suppression. If you suppress someone's views, you suggest that they might have some truth that you don't want revealed, or that you have something to hide, etc.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think they have anything to debate now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think he managed to win the debate without even opening his mouth. Impressive.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They banned him due to a "safe space policy" .... :gigg:
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Disgraceful. What are they so worried about? That somebody has different opinions on a social matter, and that these opinions are somehow a threat to their fragile status quo? Their close-minded, insecure need to ban other points of view and shut down discussion speaks volumes. They're only validating the speaker, as another user has already pointed out.

I mean, heaven forbid somebody who disagrees with you gets to speak at a university (supposedly a place for debate and freedom of thought). 'Quick, get those grown adult students some blankets and hot cocoa - he doesn't believe in rape culture! He thinks free speech is under threat! Ban Him!' Students should be challenged and encouraged to explore other, even controversial ideas, not coddled and kept in an 'ideologically safe' echo chamber.

It's pathetic. Student unions all over the world are becoming an affront to liberty and fundamental higher academic principles.
Straighthate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
milo strikes again
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the gayviour strikes again.
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I think "rape culture" is a genius piece of rhetoric. "Rape culture" is a completely nebulous term. It can mean anything you want it to. You can say that a man complementing a women is rape culture, you can say that a girl posing nude is rape culture. You don't need to back it up with evidence, reason, rationality or critical thinking, it doesn't even have to make sense, because anyone who questions the validity of the concept of "rape culture" can be considered as being one step away from being a rape apologist. By putting "rape" in the title of a catch all term for anything feminists dislike men doing, you're essentially closing down argument because everyone is too afraid to be thought of someone who considers anything you call "rape culture" acceptable, as it sounds very close to thinking "rape" is acceptable. It's like if I called spilling milk "child murder", and then anyone says they don't think that spilled milk is that much of a big deal can be condemned as someone who is OK with killing kids.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads