oxford's colleges.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
is exeter a highly regarded college at oxford? i know they have had a lot of famous alum (tolkein, pullman, bannister, amis, morris etc) but where does it fit in with the other 40 colleges.....
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
is exeter a highly regarded college at oxford? i know they have had a lot of famous alum (tolkein, pullman, bannister, amis, morris etc) but where does it fit in with the other 40 colleges.....
its probably an average sort of college, not one of the "big boys" but definetely not one of the struggling colleges. would prob be somwhere in the middle.

the "big boys" are basically merton, st johns, christ church, magdalen, balliol. these are the richer, more traditional colleges mainly because they are the oldest. they usually attract the highest calibre of applicants (not neccessarily the largest numbers).

the strguggling colleges would probably be pembroke (in a financial crisis), LMH (finished bottom of norrington) and mansfield (smallest undergad college).

reputation of each college is not really important, just go visit them on an open day and apply to the one you like the best. don't try and think "that college is too good for me" or "this one will be easier to get into".

good luck
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
does anyone else have an opinion on this thread??

(Original post by Unregistered)
its probably an average sort of college, not one of the "big boys" but definetely not one of the struggling colleges. would prob be somwhere in the middle.

the "big boys" are basically merton, st johns, christ church, magdalen, balliol. these are the richer, more traditional colleges mainly because they are the oldest. they usually attract the highest calibre of applicants (not neccessarily the largest numbers).

the strguggling colleges would probably be pembroke (in a financial crisis), LMH (finished bottom of norrington) and mansfield (smallest undergad college).

reputation of each college is not really important, just go visit them on an open day and apply to the one you like the best. don't try and think "that college is too good for me" or "this one will be easier to get into".

good luck
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
**Just tries to get his head around the matter of a struggling college at Oxford**

Talk about there being a whole classist thing going off - you lot are going to Oxford University, and STILL aren't happy ! Geez.
tagzt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yea its stupid that there could be better or worse colleges in a university as prestigious as Oxford but thats just the way it is. i think that money should be more evenly distributed around the colleges so you don't have this whole class thing.

P.S. i wasnt trying to imply that my opinion is the definitive one in my previous post
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
**Just tries to get his head around the matter of a struggling college at Oxford**

Talk about there being a whole classist thing going off - you lot are going to Oxford University, and STILL aren't happy ! Geez.

How would this be classist? Do explain please!
I think the struggling refers to financially struggling- some of the colleges within the university are extremely well off whereas others are not in the best shape money wise. Look behind the stereotypes children!
I'm sure you'll still have a great time wherever you go in Oxford, most people fall in love with their college pretty soon. Dont take any notice of people who diss you for worrying- its only natural and I'm sure you'll be fine.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would just think of it as 'Wow, I'm going to Oxford' rather than 'Oh no! I'm going to Harris Manchester, they came last in the Norrington Table! What am I going to do.'

A degree from Oxford is fantastic and though you want to go to a college with good teaching, they're all good.
Unspeakable
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, the first thing that came to mind when reading this was Pembroke or as its apparantly known, "Pem's Broke"! I read somewhere a story that last year there was a "war" going on when another college sent Pembroke a tin of cat food saying - "because we know you can't afford it" and it turned into a fued. Their cat went missing and it was claimed that it was seeking asylum!
I guess its nice that there's "college spirit" but I hope the cats don't get hurt! I agree that Oxford should be enough, without worrying about college reputations.
http://search.dooyoo.co.uk/servlets/...at=4&x=29&y=13
is a good place to look - there are reviews written by people who are there now.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'd like to give my own personal extremely biased opinion here.

WADHAM! WADHAM!! WADHAM!!!

There is so little people know about it.

1) It has it's own students union (the only college in ox to have one)
2) It has absolutely stunning gardens
3) it holds oxfords most renound social occassions, students flock.
4) Wadstock (need i say more?)
5) It's extremely liberal in opinion, and not worried about taking a stand.
6) Right by the science block
7) Right next to town.
8) It has one of the highest numbers of undergrads (approx 480)
9) It's got very large grounds.
10) I could go on...and on...and on...

Basically check it out. I love it.

b x
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think a few statistics show that Pembroke is one of the poorer colleges at Oxford – whether it is the poorest or not I don’t know.

I (if I get 3 A’s next) will be going to Pembroke this year and from what I’ve seen on the open days and at my interview it’s really nice. Everyone I spoke to was really friendly and not elitist or anything like that. Though some of the buildings are really old an horrible some are lovely and I enjoyed it and would like to go there.

The only thing I am worrying about is the cost. With Pembroke being a poorer college it will be more expensive for me to go there than to other Colleges.

As for being highly regarded, I’ve no idea about Exeter but Pembroke defiantly isn’t, an Oxford guide book I read said they had no real achievement of note, but they do have a nice location – probably one of the most central colleges in Oxford.

Tom
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I think a few statistics show that Pembroke is one of the poorer colleges at Oxford – whether it is the poorest or not I don’t know.

I (if I get 3 A’s next) will be going to Pembroke this year and from what I’ve seen on the open days and at my interview it’s really nice. Everyone I spoke to was really friendly and not elitist or anything like that. Though some of the buildings are really old an horrible some are lovely and I enjoyed it and would like to go there.

The only thing I am worrying about is the cost. With Pembroke being a poorer college it will be more expensive for me to go there than to other Colleges.

As for being highly regarded, I’ve no idea about Exeter but Pembroke defiantly isn’t, an Oxford guide book I read said they had no real achievement of note, but they do have a nice location – probably one of the most central colleges in Oxford.

Tom
Some people are very elitist about the colleges. If you want to go to Pembroke go and you'll enjoy it. I wouldn't want to go to a college where they are just as concerned about their reputation as they are about educating people.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Different colleges are better at certain subjects I believe...also you might want to consider more material aspects such as location, accomodation (and costs!) etc
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah i had a friend who applied to St Anns and she said all the other applicants seemed really elitist and full of themselves. I did an open application and got put in Pembroke and would be happy to go there – poor and humble is fine by me.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (158)
13.28%
Excited (106)
8.91%
Worried (218)
18.32%
Terrified (278)
23.36%
Meh (94)
7.9%
Confused (32)
2.69%