The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you get an offer and Media Studies is excluded from that offer don't be surprised :wink:
Reply 2
I know that this may be a silly question, but i just wanted to get the facts straight.
Cellardore
I have been told my "wiseman" on this thread that Media studies is a doss subject and that most universities do not accept it. He has also very rudely remarked that it is worthless to take. As i have taken this subject at AS i am very offended about this. Does Oxbridge accept it as an A level?
Although i wasn't thinking about dropping it next year.

Cellardore
Oxbridge and many other of the good universities tend to dislike it VERY much, and so it can often be excluded in the offer OR if it's your third subject at a2, you may well not receive an offer at all, because of it.
Reply 4
CoolDude13
Oxbridge and many other of the good niversitiestend to dislike it VERY much, and so it can often be excluded in the offer OR if it's your third subject at a2, you may well not receive an offer at all, because of it.

To be perfectly honest i am dropping it next year i was taking up Maths AS, as i had very much enjoyed this subject.
Reply 5
CoolDude13
Oxbridge and many other of the good universities tend to dislike it VERY much, and so it can often be excluded in the offer OR if it's your third subject at a2, you may well not receive an offer at all, because of it.

I doubt that is true.
All I can say is I don't know anyone here who did A-level media studies. Because Oxbridge don't offer any media related courses they may think it is irrelevant.
Reply 7
babyballerina
All I can say is I don't know anyone here who did A-level media studies. Because Oxbridge don't offer any media related courses they may think it is irrelevant.

I know of someone doing English who did Media! :smile:
I also know somebody doing English at Jesus who is doing Media Studies! Also I got in to Nottingham (top 10 uni) with Media Studies being refered to as the main subject that i am taking for the course
Reply 9
A lot of people do a mix of the "traditional" and "non-traditional" subjects these days. Universities have to grow up to that fact and move with the times :smile:
Reply 10
I'm glad someone agrees with me:smile: i was very insulted when people started regarding my subjects as worthless...
Reply 11
Cellardore
I'm glad someone agrees with me:smile: i was very insulted when people started regarding my subjects as worthless...

Nevertheless there are still people around who think otherwise and unfortunately some of those are probably admissions tutors :rolleyes:
Reply 12
At open days they usually say that something non-traditional like Media Studies is OK as long as your other 2 A-levels are old-skool.
As it were.
As long as you have two "traditional" subject as well you'll be fine. The only problem is if you do vocational subject, which aren't academic enough.
Reply 14
BazTheMoney
As long as you have two "traditional" subject as well you'll be fine. The only problem is if you do vocational subject, which aren't academic enough.

I am currently doing English Literature, History, Politics and Media Studies.
I was thinking about taking Maths up as an AS next year.....
Cellardore
I am currently doing English Literature, History, Politics and Media Studies.
I was thinking about taking Maths up as an AS next year.....

They're fine. :smile: If you enjoy maths take it up, but there's no reason too; Oxford would have no problem with you doing those A-Levels. What subject are you looking at?
Reply 16
BazTheMoney
They're fine. :smile: If you enjoy maths take it up, but there's no reason too; Oxford would have no problem with you doing those A-Levels. What subject are you looking at?

I was planning on dropping Media next year and at uni i was thinking about taking up Law
Cellardore
I was planning on dropping Media next year and at uni i was thinking about taking up Law

Your subject wouldn't be a problem for Law, if you take up maths it would give you a bit of variety, but the advantage wouldn't be substantial. If you enjoy Media stick with it; they're not going to reject you for it.
Reply 18
I would usually advise someone in this situation to do the subjects they enjoy the most and can get the best grades in...

however, one of my friends was in an awkward situation a couple of months ago. She was taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and DT at A2 and already had offers for Engineering. She realised that she couldn't carry on with Further Maths and emailed the Unis that had made her offers to see if it would be ok. UCL replied that, as far as they were concerned, DT wasn't a proper subject and wasn't relevant to Engineering, and that if she dropped Further Maths they would take it as though she only had 2 A levels, and therefore couldn't fulfill her offer.

So the moral of the story is that you can never second guess what an admissions tutor thinks of any subject. Luckily for her, Imperial were fine with it so she's accepted them but who would have thought that DT wasn't relevant to Engineering!!

The admissions tutors are likely to end up as your teachers, and if they're that snobby about subjects, you probably wouldn't want to be taught by them anyway. If they turn you down solely because of it, it's their loss.
Reply 19
Best thing to do is to ring up the unis that you are interested in- they will tell you what you need to know.

Latest

Trending

Trending