The Student Room Group

A-Levels Again?

Hi I have just dropped out of a sport-science degree after 2 years. I am looking to go back and take new A-levels: Computing, Physics and maybe Maths. I already have A-levels in chemistry and Biology (C and E) :frown: but at that time I wasn't really bothered about my future and just messed around, this time round though I want to get good grades and hopefully come out with BBB or higher as I want to go to a good university and study computer programming.
Just wondering will I be required to pay for my A-levels and if so how much will it cost? and will i feel stupid as I am 19 and most people will be 16/17?

Thank you for reading :smile:
Reply 1
I tried doing my A Levels via distance learning (with NEC) and paid nearly £1000 for full courses in Biology and Maths, I also enrolled on AS Chemistry at my local college because I needed to use a lab for that. I only lasted 3 months because studying on your own is uber-difficult, and I felt ridiculous being older than all the 16/17 year olds. It might have been OK if I'd started at the beginning of term, but I joined 2 weeks later and everybody already had friends.

Have you considered an Access course? It serves the same purpose (to get you into Uni), is recognised by Universities, is only 1 year long and you'd be surrounded by people more your own age.
It is very difficult to self study. It needs super organisation, motivation and of course money.

Access courses can be good but i'd urge you to look into the local access course as standards vary, and email possible uni's you may be interested in. The one in my city wasn't good enough and the courses I was interested in needed at least an additional A level. So I didnt bother. A levels also kept more options open.
Reply 3
Do not quote me on this - but I believe education is free at a FE college as long as you are below 25.
Reply 4
I do A-levels at my local college and I don't pay anything (and I am over 25). At my college full time study is free. However, it's best to check with the place you want to go to. If you study as a full time daytime student, it is likely that it will be free.

I do not recommend home learning. It is exceedingly difficult and very expensive. Not to mention all the hassle of sorting out your own exams and coursework. It can work for some people but you have to be very dedicated. A lot people who sign up for A-levels this way don't complete them.

Access courses are another option, but completely different to A-levels. Depends which way of working you prefer. But don't feel stupid because you are a bit older. I am 34 and a lot of the people in my lessons are 17-20, although there are a couple of older people too. You are there to learn, and chances are they won't know anyway unless you tell them.
Reply 5
I'm doing 2 A levels at an FE College. It's costing me £1,000 plus exam fees, so be sure to check. I started at 20, but I'm lucky enough to be a baby face so didn't feel odd (although my attitude makes me stand out anyway - those young'uns are all so care-free!) also, I'm eager enough to not give a damn if I did feel out of place. I need the A Levels so I'm getting them, why should I care what people I won't see again for the rest of my life think of me? A Levels (for me anyway) are a million times easier now that I am older and more focussed, so don't worry about it.
I'm a bit confused to find out that other people aren't paying for their courses, however, I find that knowing I have sacrificed £240 per subject, per year to take my A levels is a huge motivator! :smile:
19 isn't so bad, especially if you're taking subjects like physics and maths (I highly recommend taking maths, by the way), because the students tend to be slightly more mature in those classes than they do in humanities classes. But it depends how well you can cope with them. I've made friends from all of my classes. (I'm a 21 yo doing physics, maths and English A Levs).

And obviously don't forget to practice your computer programming skills on the side :biggrin:.

As for cost, it depends on the college you study at. My fees were under £300, whereas I know someone in another town whose fees are costing them nearly £900.
Reply 7
EskimoJo

I'm a bit confused to find out that other people aren't paying for their courses, however, I find that knowing I have sacrificed £240 per subject, per year to take my A levels is a huge motivator! :smile:

The reason I don't pay is because I am classed as full time since I am doing 4 A levels and a GCSE.
Since you are doing 2 A levels, you would be classed as part time. In that situation, I would have to pay at my college too. Although, I don't think even the full cost is as much as what you are paying.
Basically though, it's up to the individual college. They can charge whatever they like, which is unfortunate for a lot of people.
Reply 8
ggo for it, dont b ashamed about ur age, do wat u gta do..ud b suprised at how many ppl go baq..to correct a mistake to move forward...! goodluk!
Reply 9
Tyson
Hi I have just dropped out of a sport-science degree after 2 years. I am looking to go back and take new A-levels: Computing, Physics and maybe Maths. I already have A-levels in chemistry and Biology (C and E) :frown: but at that time I wasn't really bothered about my future and just messed around, this time round though I want to get good grades and hopefully come out with BBB or higher as I want to go to a good university and study computer programming.
Just wondering will I be required to pay for my A-levels and if so how much will it cost? and will i feel stupid as I am 19 and most people will be 16/17?

Thank you for reading :smile:

Now then, mate.. I'm 21, and in exactly in the same situation as you, and what looks like for the same reason. I just wasn't bothered last time round and messed about/went out with my mates all the time instead of revising, and after doing 2 years of an absolutly awful Media studies degree at an awful uni, i went back home to do my alevels again.

Last time i got a C and a D in Eng Lan, and History.

Now i'm doing what i should have done first time round, and studying Maths, Physics and Fine Art. I'm predicted high A's in all of them (90 - 100%) so its definatly possible to do well second time round. I got 100% in my first maths module, and 94% in my first physics one. You've just gotta really want it, and be dedicated*. I plan on applying for my dream subject at uni, which is Architecture, and Cambridge is one of my main choices.

Thing is basically, if you want something badly enough and are prepared to work hard for it, then you'll be able to do it.

With regards to paying, i pay £285 for all my courses, for one year. which i think is awesome. And you'll soon notice that just cos the kids are younger than you, theyre not that much different...

*I should probably metion a kind of depressing note. The reason i decided to turn my life around and do something worth doing is cos my dad died. He always wanted me to do well, which i didn't really do. It was just a massive kick in the *******s, and made me grow up so much. Thats probably why i'm so motivated.
Reply 10
Hey. I'm 22 and am doing 2 A-Levels at my local college, but evening classes - if you wanted to go to uni you could work during the daytime (which is what i'm doing) and go to college in the evenings... I think I paid about £250 for each A-Level, but I think in various circumstances you don't even pay that... In fairness I wouldn't let it worry you... I've been accepted on a conditional offer for Law at Bristol, starting October 2007, and not only will I be studying with people a few years younger than me, i'll be living with them too - don't let it worry you! If it is what you want to do, go and do it, I am and it is fun! Good luck :smile:
Reply 11

I got offers from Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds and Liverpool, but have decided on Bristol as my firm choice and Liverpool as my insurance... Both LLB...

I wouldn't care if I was 22, 32, 42, 52 or 62, i'd still be this excited... All I have to do now is get the grades!!!

Latest