Clearing :-( Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi, I was just wondering If anyone knew if any of the following universities offered clearing for computer science last year?

Sheffield, Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh

I think i might have just missed my B grade in maths
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hi, I was just wondering If anyone knew if any of the following universities offered clearing for computer science last year?

Sheffield, Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh

I think i might have just missed my B grade in maths

it doesnt relly matter if they offered it last year, its this year you want to go (i assume), theres no point trying to look at last year, this years clearing lists are out on aug 12th.

love Katy ***
The Cool Dude
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
it doesnt relly matter if they offered it last year, its this year you want to go (i assume), theres no point trying to look at last year, this years clearing lists are out on aug 12th.

love Katy ***

katy
clearing lists out august 12th??!?

How do i access it when its out on the 12th tell me please?
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The Cool Dude)
katy

buy the independant (newspaper) on aug 12th.

ucas sent me a letter last week , stoopid me didnt read the cover letter, so thought i had failed and thats why they were sending me stuff on clearing, but the cover letter had "advisory letter" written all over it in big red letters.(has anyone else had this letter ???)

love Katy ***
The Cool Dude
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
buy the independant (newspaper) on aug 12th.

ucas sent me a letter last week , stoopid me didnt read the cover letter, so thought i had failed and thats why they were sending me stuff on clearing, but the cover letter had "advisory letter" written all over it in big red letters.(has anyone else had this letter ???)

love Katy ***

yes i have.
mmm
need to read again prolly didnt pay attention.
Katy
So in the Independent are all the vacancies in Univerities this year den ?
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes i have.
mmm
need to read again prolly didnt pay attention.
Katy
So in the Independent are all the vacancies in Univerities this year den ?
yes. if you get it before the twelth, its just the places left availible coz people didnt apply / turned down the place. on the 12th, it will be the untre list, because the uni's have our results on the 10th and must decide by the 11th whether they want us or not. so technically you could work out whether your in or not- if the numbers of places availible dont change - your in!!! but then if one person doesnt get it- you dont know if its you or another poor sod on your course!

love Katy ***

love Katy ***
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
yes. if you get it before the twelth, its just the places left availible coz people didnt apply / turned down the place. on the 12th, it will be the untre list, because the uni's have our results on the 10th and must decide by the 11th whether they want us or not. so technically you could work out whether your in or not- if the numbers of places availible dont change - your in!!! but then if one person doesnt get it- you dont know if its you or another poor sod on your course!

love Katy ***

love Katy ***

it says the CLEARING guide will be released on the 12th, iz dat the book with all the vacancies?
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it says the CLEARING guide will be released on the 12th, iz dat the book with all the vacancies?

book????

love Katy ***
Fairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you in Scotland then i think the clearing newspapers etc are out on the 12th but, in England, Wales etc, isnt it the 14th as thats when A-levels are out?
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fairydust)
If you in Scotland then i think the clearing newspapers etc are out on the 12th but, in England, Wales etc, isnt it the 14th as thats when A-levels are out?
no, because its universities who decide who gets in, and they know our result on the 10th.

love Katy ***
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
katy

With that ADVISORY LETTER came a bit of paper that says UCAS Clearing 2003 which states:

UCAS Clearing 2003 Flyer Thingy
Tuesday 12 August - The Independant Scottish Listings Supplement (Scotland Only)
Thursday 14 August - The Independant
Friday 15 August - The Independant
Saturday 16 August - The Independant
Sunday 17 August - The Independant on Sunday
Monday 18 August - The Independant
Thursday 21 August - The Independant
Thursday 28 August - The Independant
Thursday 4 September - The Independant
Thursday 11 September - The Independant

Regional listings will be available for regional vacancies depending on where the newspaper is published, in the Daily Mirror on:

Thursday 14 August.

The Independant and The Independant on Sunday will run features, in addition to the vacancy list:

Sunday 10th August - The Parent's Guide to Clearing
Tuesday 12th August - The Clearing Guide

The Daily Mirror, and the Sunday Mirror will publish the following features:

Friday 15th August, Saturday 16th, Sunday 17th
- Articles on the Clearing Process
Monday 18th August - "Choices 2003 Supplement"
Thursday 21st August - "Final Clearing"
Fairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no, because its universities who decide who gets in, and they know our result on the 10th.

love Katy ***
Thanks for correcting me, i didnt think about the uni's getting the results before us.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

love Katy ***

love Katy ***

How do i get it before the 12th???
Tel me please i want to look at the list.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How do i get it before the 12th???
Tel me please i want to look at the list.
The clearing list is available for Scottish Vacancies ONLY on the 12th of August, in The Independant.

For the rest of the UK you have to wait until the 14th, and beyond, see my previous post further up for the other dates.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
The clearing list is available for Scottish Vacancies ONLY on the 12th of August, in The Independant.

For the rest of the UK you have to wait until the 14th, and beyond, see my previous post further up for the other dates.

whats dat
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

whats dat
Given that before that the article is the Parent's Guide to Clearing, I assume that that will be the Students Guide to Clearing - obviously it can't come out any later than that, as The Independant is a national broadsheet, and there will be students in Scotland needing to know whats what.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Given that before that the article is the Parent's Guide to Clearing, I assume that that will be the Students Guide to Clearing - obviously it can't come out any later than that, as The Independant is a national broadsheet, and there will be students in Scotland needing to know whats what.

Mate is there anyway i can find out what places are available at unviersity now ??? What vacancies have not been taken up by students? if so please tel me.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mate is there anyway i can find out what places are available at unviersity now ??? What vacancies have not been taken up by students? if so please tel me.
Not possible youth, the only way that that would have been possible would have been through the UCAS Extra facility, but even that has closed (on the 30th June).

You are just going to have to hang on until the 14th August, when the Independant produces the first National vacancies list, I believe you can then apply online on the UCAS website (from a minute past midnight), rather than waiting for your CEF forms from UCAS.

Then you'll have some snap decisions to make.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Not possible youth, the only way that that would have been possible would have been through the UCAS Extra facility, but even that has closed (on the 30th June).

You are just going to have to hang on until the 14th August, when the Independant produces the first National vacancies list, I believe you can then apply online on the UCAS website (from a minute past midnight), rather than waiting for your CEF forms from UCAS.

Then you'll have some snap decisions to make.

Ic - well i want to hear from Katy i think she knows more. By the sounds of wat she has said.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ic - well i want to hear from Katy i think she knows more. By the sounds of wat she has said.
Fair nuff, Katy if you find anything I've told this *Guest* to be untrue then point it out, but I don't think you'll find many flaws in it, as for the best part I've used information produced by UCAS to make sure their policy is right.

What Katy said earlier is true too, though how exactly you'd get hold of a vacancies list before the production of the Clearing list is uncited, and what purpose doing so would serve is unclear anyway.

I have had the UCAS website up on my screen for you and looked for the UCAS Extra listings, but instead it simply says that the process is closed until next year, and a notice saying that the Clearing process is available from 00:01 on 14th August this year - ie Scottish students gain no advantage by having Scottish vacancies lists early, as they still have to wait until the 14th (granted a few hours before we get our results), to start applying through Clearing.

But then again I'm sure Katy will be able to tell you everything you won't find out of anyone else on this board, when she comes on later on....
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (37)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.85%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (98)
37.84%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.41%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.95%