Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, i'm doing English Literature A2 on the OCR board...

Does anyone else do English A'Level on OCR, it seems so obscure on here..

If so, what texts are you studing for your exam papers?

Also, how are you revising? I really need an A overall, and got a high B for AS.. Do you think it is possible to acheive this? And in general, what do people advocate for getting the highest grade in English??

Thanks and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Hi all, i'm doing English Literature A2 on the OCR board...

Does anyone else do English A'Level on OCR, it seems so obscure on here..

If so, what texts are you studing for your exam papers?

Also, how are you revising? I really need an A overall, and got a high B for AS.. Do you think it is possible to acheive this? And in general, what do people advocate for getting the highest grade in English??

Thanks and good luck!
    Yeah I'm doing English A2 with OCR, studying 20th Cent American Literature, King Lear and Andrew Marvell.

At the moment I'm concentrating on the poetry and drama texts, rereading them mainly. It's difficult because I've got History A2 the day before, and that needs a ridiculous amount of learning. I might start looking for specific quotations in the near future. Essays also help.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi Heffa,

I am doing OCR lit, my books are: Bloody Chamber, Rape Of The Lock, King Lear, Birdsong and various war literature including a few poems.

As far as revision goes I plan to go through each book making notes, and taking quotes linked with specific themes and idea, look through all the notes made during the year and other material. Then hope that some obscure question doesn't come up.
    That is the plan anyways

wonder.

ReputationRep:
    I am also an OCR dude

Im doing Volpone for my play, rape of the lock for the poetry and american lit for the synoptic.

i havent done any englihs revision atm as other exams have come up so mayb i should start. its hard tho so im just reading plot summaries etc hoping it will sink in lol.

anyone got any suggestions as to the themes of the questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Yeah I'm doing English A2 with OCR, studying 20th Cent American Literature, King Lear and Andrew Marvell.

At the moment I'm concentrating on the poetry and drama texts, rereading them mainly. It's difficult because I've got History A2 the day before, and that needs a ridiculous amount of learning. I might start looking for specific quotations in the near future. Essays also help.

Good luck
    I'm in the same boat as you - i have edexcel history A2 the day before!! Not to worried about that though, just me english.

I'm doing the 20thC Am. Lit, Emily Dickinson, The Tempest. Yea i've got cards with quotes. For the poetry, i made lists of themes and imagery and sectioned the poems so i can have comp/contrasts. Also, key list words to use all the time, technical terms you know.

How about theorists, i'm reading around, but OCR objectives (one of them) like that, other interpretations as well as your own.. I'm not going overboard though!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderboy)
    Hi Heffa,

I am doing OCR lit, my books are: Bloody Chamber, Rape Of The Lock, King Lear, Birdsong and various war literature including a few poems.

As far as revision goes I plan to go through each book making notes, and taking quotes linked with specific themes and idea, look through all the notes made during the year and other material. Then hope that some obscure question doesn't come up.
    That is the plan anyways

wonder.
    That's how i am working.. also making detailed plans for loads of past papers.. do you ever do timed essays as revision.. i don't, never found it helpful just boring.. I do however, use it for psychology... strange.. good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    I am also an OCR dude

Im doing Volpone for my play, rape of the lock for the poetry and american lit for the synoptic.

i havent done any englihs revision atm as other exams have come up so mayb i should start. its hard tho so im just reading plot summaries etc hoping it will sink in lol.

anyone got any suggestions as to the themes of the questions?
    Lol!! Well it's better than nothing, my next week is centred around Eng, His and Psy revision..
    On MON 21: i have his x 2
    Tues: English
    WEds: Psy Unit 5
    Fri: Hist!!

Then English on 30th, and AEA on 1st July!!! AHAHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    That's how i am working.. also making detailed plans for loads of past papers.. do you ever do timed essays as revision.. i don't, never found it helpful just boring.. I do however, use it for psychology... strange.. good luck xx
    Nope. Never do practice essays, teacher says we should, but I think it would be a waste of time.
    I have 2 other exams on the same day as the king lear / ROTL exam Just my luck for most of my exams to be packed into three days (including p2 and s2) - Just not fair how the outcome of these 3 days decide the next few years of my life :mad:
    Good luck, and write big words!

ReputationRep:
    i have 14 exams in 8 school days or 10 if u count the weekend

eeeek

need to revise english !!!

ReputationRep:
    Finally found some other ppl that are on OCR! Im doing 20th Century US in the synoptic and I've got the open book 'Beloved' exam tomorrow. I did the Tempest and Coleridge in January. Does anyone doing 20th century US lit actually like The color purple? I find it such a hard book to write about!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing the OCR exams.

Texts: Rape of the Lock, The Rivals, Streetcar Named Desire (for 20th Century American Literature synoptic unit)

I think the synoptic unit is amazingly difficult. It's just so broad! They can ask you pretty much anything about anyuthing, so it's impossible to prepare yourself thoroughly for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing English Literature A2 on the OCR board too. Like you, i need an A, but i got a medium-high one in AS..

I'm studying 'King Lear' and Chaucer's 'The Pardoner's Tale' for Monday's exam.. For that i've just learnt about 20 quotes for each and re-read the texts to make sure i know the plots. For King Lear, i've also learnt the reaction of critics to the play over the centuries, just in case it comes in handy..

The English exam i'm worried about is the synoptic paper, where i'm studying 20th Century English Literature. The two books we've been taught to compare for this module are 'The Color Purple' and Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby'. Which isn't particularly good for my confidence in the exam because i'm not seeing very many similar links between those books. 'The Color Purple' concentrates on oppression, character development, and racism, whilst 'The Great Gatsby'.. just.. doesn't! :confused: Lord.. If anyone's studying those two texts for the exam / has a good understanding of both books & has suggestions, please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    12 hours till exam
    The smell of defeat is in the air.

ReputationRep:
    Wow...comparing Color Purple and Great Gatsby...that is a weird choice. My English teachers have been great. We did a black feminist novel for the open book paper (Beloved by Toni Morrison) Also done Streetcar so we have a choice in the synoptic as to which book we do in the comparison. For cw at AS did Death of a Salesmen so we can use that in comparison to also. SOOOOOO much to learn!

ReputationRep:
    For anyone studying King Lear, which character(s) would you find it most difficult to answer a question on?
    &how are you revising this module?

For some reason, i haven't got a heck of a lot to say about Regan&Goneril, nor Edmund&Edgar!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.