The Student Room Group

Personal Statement character limit

Just finished my personal statement, but it's only 3500 characters long (compared to the 4000 it should be). Do you think its worth my while to add in some extra stuff thats not as relevant or to keep it short and sweet but waste 500 characters?
Original post by lizzygh
Just finished my personal statement, but it's only 3500 characters long (compared to the 4000 it should be). Do you think its worth my while to add in some extra stuff thats not as relevant or to keep it short and sweet but waste 500 characters?

Pop it into Apply and see how it does against the line limit - most people will hit 47 lines long before they hit 4000 characters.

If you have a few lines still to play with then talk it over with your teachers and family to see if there's something that you've missed out or if it would be interesting to add more detail about something that you've mentioned.

This is my mental checklist for evaluating a PS - maybe ask your family or teachers if you think your PS can tick all the boxes :smile:

The PS demonstrates a thorough understanding of course/profession

The PS demonstrates an interest in subject (beyond compulsory learning/activities)

The PS demonstrates a commitment to subject/profession (eg interest in HE topics, interest in future career - this isn't an applicant who will drop out within a year)

The PS demonstrates any skills needed for subject (eg group and project work for engineering, manual dexterity for dentistry etc)

The PS is personal - the character of the applicant shines through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending