Auditions at Leeds College of Music: QUESTIONS?

Watch this thread
Leeds Conservatorie
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Have you got an audition at Leeds College of Music coming up this academic year? If you have any questions that you'd like answering prior to your interview, feel free to ask on this thread

We can't wait to meet you!
ThatPianoBloke
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hi there!
I'm auditioning for the Jazz (Piano) and Production course on Friday and I was just going through my portfolio, what sort of things are you hoping to see? Also, how are we able to present them? The letter, while very helpful on everything else, didn't cover much for the portfolio
Looking forward to hearing back!
Leeds Conservatorie
Rep:
(Original post by ThatPianoBloke)
Hi there!
I'm auditioning for the Jazz (Piano) and Production course on Friday and I was just going through my portfolio, what sort of things are you hoping to see? Also, how are we able to present them? The letter, while very helpful on everything else, didn't cover much for the portfolio
Looking forward to hearing back!
Hello!

You'll be presenting your portfolio as part of your Production interview if I'm not mistaken, it should state that somewhere on the letter you were sent. Your Jazz interview will be based around your piano playing, with a short interview either before or after you play.

I recommend you bring your portfolio in a variety of different formats, both for preparedness and for backup purposes. It depends on what you're bringing the Production lecturers to show; you may want to bring in CDs, a flash drive, a laptop, sheet music (depending on what applies), I do recommend you bring your portfolio in a number of different capacities. They may have a computer in your interview room with which to open any files or recordings from your flash drive, but then again they may not - prepare for every scenario.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?
Liam
ThatPianoBloke
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Leeds College of Music)
Hello!

You'll be presenting your portfolio as part of your Production interview if I'm not mistaken, it should state that somewhere on the letter you were sent. Your Jazz interview will be based around your piano playing, with a short interview either before or after you play.

I recommend you bring your portfolio in a variety of different formats, both for preparedness and for backup purposes. It depends on what you're bringing the Production lecturers to show; you may want to bring in CDs, a flash drive, a laptop, sheet music (depending on what applies), I do recommend you bring your portfolio in a number of different capacities. They may have a computer in your interview room with which to open any files or recordings from your flash drive, but then again they may not - prepare for every scenario.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?
Liam
Hi Liam,
Thanks for your reply, very helpful :)
It was outlined that the production and jazz audition and interview were separate, I have been trying to record video footage of individual aspects of my works but my screen recorders aren't co-operating with any of the DAW's I've used, so I'm going for a paper based portfolio with screenshots and notes, sheet music and photos of set ups etc, with a flash drive and CD with audio.

Just wondered if you had any advice for the audition, what sort of things they're particularly looking for?
Many thanks,
Jon
Leeds Conservatorie
Rep:
(Original post by ThatPianoBloke)
Hi Liam,
Thanks for your reply, very helpful
It was outlined that the production and jazz audition and interview were separate audition, I have been trying to record video footage of individual aspects of my works but my screen recorders aren't co-operating with any of the DAW's I've used, so I'm going for a paper based portfolio with screenshots and notes, sheet music and photos of set ups etc, with a flash drive and CD with audio.

Just wondered if you had any advice for the audition, what sort of things they're particularly looking for?
Many thanks,
Jon
Always happy to help, Jon!

Yes, I don't know if they have provided you with times yet, but they will indeed be separate auditions. When you arrive at the building, there'll be three ambassadors sat at a desk with your details in the cafe. You'll be directed to the cafe from reception.

The ambassadors, who will be Max, Sara and Ben on Friday, will call you and take you to each audition when it's time. You should be provided with a 30 minute warm-up prior to your Jazz audition, also.

You sound very prepared - make sure you remember it all on the day! As far as the interview goes itself, I'm afraid I don't know what they'll be asking you, nor would I be allowed to tell you. They will lead you through the interview though, and likely ask you questions about the work you've brought them in your portfolio.

If you require any more info from us, I'll still be around on this thread all week, and you can email [email protected] or tweet @LeedsMusic with urgent questions. On the day, the ambassadors will be around in their purple t shirts to help with any immediate concerns you might have before and after your interview.

Liam
hparr123
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi Liam,

I am auditioning for the BA (Hons) Popular with Guitar in early April '16.

I attended the invitation day yesterday (14/03/16) and forgot to ask a few important questions...

1) How does the band task part of the audition really work? Will i be put with applicants or musicians already taking the course? Will we be given random genres of music to work on for the 20-25 minutes ?

2) What sort of theoretical questions will i be asked with the guitar? Scales? Modes? Chords? I have done my grade 5 theory so i have a good understanding of chords, inversions etc.

3) I am having difficulty choosing a second song for my audition. My first song is an Eric Clapton blues instrumental (backing track included) which is mostly improvised, which can be the piece i can put my own stamp on. However, after reading the audition guide some time ago, one of the pieces I play to the panel should be original. Is this strictly true? Would I be able to do another song cover and put my own stamp on it rather than create an original? I'm struggling to this day to think of ideas as i want to do a Ska/Reggae track (Blues and Ska being my favourite genres). But i find Ska/Reggae fairly straight forward to play (guitar wise) and i'm thinking it will seem to easy with the grade 8 standard thing...

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Harry
Leeds Conservatorie
Rep:
(Original post by hparr123)
Hi Liam,

I am auditioning for the BA (Hons) Popular with Guitar in early April '16.

I attended the invitation day yesterday (14/03/16) and forgot to ask a few important questions...

1) How does the band task part of the audition really work? Will i be put with applicants or musicians already taking the course? Will we be given random genres of music to work on for the 20-25 minutes ?

2) What sort of theoretical questions will i be asked with the guitar? Scales? Modes? Chords? I have done my grade 5 theory so i have a good understanding of chords, inversions etc.

3) I am having difficulty choosing a second song for my audition. My first song is an Eric Clapton blues instrumental (backing track included) which is mostly improvised, which can be the piece i can put my own stamp on. However, after reading the audition guide some time ago, one of the pieces I play to the panel should be original. Is this strictly true? Would I be able to do another song cover and put my own stamp on it rather than create an original? I'm struggling to this day to think of ideas as i want to do a Ska/Reggae track (Blues and Ska being my favourite genres). But i find Ska/Reggae fairly straight forward to play (guitar wise) and i'm thinking it will seem to easy with the grade 8 standard thing...

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Harry
Hi Harry,

I hope our invitation day on Monday was helpful for you.

For the band part of your audition, you will be grouped with other auditionees. There will be no warm-up for this part of your audition. The student ambassadors who will take your name down as you enter the building will gather your band together around 15 minutes before the session begins, so that you can all get to know each other.

If nobody has informed you of this already, there is a Popular Music audition guide on our website. This is designed for international students who would be submitting a video, instead of auditioning in person, but it should give you a good idea of what they might expect on the day.

Your main audition will likely be split between playing, and talking to the panel about yourself. Questions likely to come up are listed on the audition guide. I'm afraid I can't say what they will ask you to play; you may be asked to play some scales. No audition is the same, it's up to the audition panel to decide.

I'll ask the head of the Popular Pathway about playing an original song. On the audition guide, it says: "Ideally, at least one of these pieces should be original, and covers must be interpretative and notidentical copies (i.e. you must put your own stamp on them)." You would likely get away with playing two covers, so long as they are contrasting – but I'll double check for you.

Do you have any more questions in the meantime?

Liam
hparr123
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi Liam,

Thanks for your reply,

The invitation day was very helpful and I particularly enjoyed listening to the contemporary pop choir.

I appreciate you won't be able to give out full details about the audition itself but I now have a better understanding about how the audition day will work.

If you can let me know about the song choices it would be greatly appreciated.

I have no further questions to ask but i shall post on this discussion if anything pops to mind.

Thank you for all your help!

Harry
Leeds Conservatorie
Rep:
(Original post by hparr123)
Hi Liam,

Thanks for your reply,

The invitation day was very helpful and I particularly enjoyed listening to the contemporary pop choir.

I appreciate you won't be able to give out full details about the audition itself but I now have a better understanding about how the audition day will work.

If you can let me know about the song choices it would be greatly appreciated.

I have no further questions to ask but i shall post on this discussion if anything pops to mind.

Thank you for all your help!

Harry
Hi Harry,

I'm sorry for my late reply. The head of the Popular Music pathway has been in touch with me to clear this up – "We say that's preferable [to play an original song] because we like to be able to see and hear the originality and creativity of applicants," but it's fine to do two covers instead. "I still recommend that he tries to put his own stamp on them so we get to hear what he is about as a musician."

Hope this helps! What day is your audition next week, out of curiosity?

Liam
IzzyH1999
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Leeds College of Music)
Have you got an audition at Leeds College of Music coming up this academic year? If you have any questions that you'd like answering prior to your interview, feel free to ask on this thread

We can't wait to meet you!
I auditioned for the (BA) Popular Music degree at Leeds on 19th December 2016. Although I'm aware you have to take the christmas holidays into consideration, it's now february and I still haven't heard anything, despite the University policies stating applicants should find out within 2 weeks, and if not, a letter apologising for the delay would be sent out. I'm unsure whether I should email the Uni, or trust that a response will be sent out soon. I don't mind waiting, it's just a bit stressful not knowing when I'm going to find out, as I'm pinning most of my hopes on Leeds Uni and wouldn't audition elsewhere if I got a place at Leeds. Is it normal for confirmation of getting in/ getting rejected from Uni to take this long?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Leeds Conservatorie
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by IzzyH1999)
I auditioned for the (BA) Popular Music degree at Leeds on 19th December 2016. Although I'm aware you have to take the christmas holidays into consideration, it's now february and I still haven't heard anything, despite the University policies stating applicants should find out within 2 weeks, and if not, a letter apologising for the delay would be sent out. I'm unsure whether I should email the Uni, or trust that a response will be sent out soon. I don't mind waiting, it's just a bit stressful not knowing when I'm going to find out, as I'm pinning most of my hopes on Leeds Uni and wouldn't audition elsewhere if I got a place at Leeds. Is it normal for confirmation of getting in/ getting rejected from Uni to take this long?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi Izzy, This is a thread from Leeds College of Music - did you audition with us, or with Leeds Uni? If it's with us, email us with your full name at [email protected] and we'll find out what's happening with your application. Thanks Anna
username2709261
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

I've got an audition coming up for BA hons (Popular) in guitar in April.

I play acoustic guitar and was just wondering whether an amplifier will be provided for me or that I'll have to bring my own. Also, I'd like to know if it would be ok if I were to use guitar pedals in my audition performance - just loop and reverb pedals?

Thanks

Lauren
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.69%
The paper was reasonable (220)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
8.97%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads