The Student Room Group

Best route into forensic science?

I'm thinking about taking the forensic science course at UCLAN as it's very specific. However, would I be better with just a degree in a specific science Eg, chemistry. Also, what do you think the statistics is in the UK for forensic science graduates to get into a forensic science career?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Poor. The closure of the Forensic Science Service made things a lot harder.

It's extremely hard to get experience in forensics because of the nature of the profession, and a lot of the firms that do hire want experience. Met police take some forensic scientists but again, you need a good amount of experience.

Unless you really love it, I would explore other things that interest you
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are probably better doing straight chemistry if you are good at it. Job prospects in forensic science are poor (see above post) and, anyway, many employers prefer you to do the core science first and then - if still interested - do a MSc. Many forensic graduates join the police in admin or support roles in order to 'join the family' and get access to internal job adverts for CSI etc
Many people do not use their degree subject directly, it is the degree which is the 'currency', not the subject.
Original post by KingAuthor
I'm thinking about taking the forensic science course at UCLAN as it's very specific. However, would I be better with just a degree in a specific science Eg, chemistry. Also, what do you think the statistics is in the UK for forensic science graduates to get into a forensic science career?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am thinking of going into forensic science as a graduate. Currently I am applying for biochemistry as it bridges the gap, I guess. Hope that helps.... :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending