The Student Room Group

I forgot a comma after furthermore in my PS. Am I going to be rejected?

Sent my medicine personal statement and I added a further more 5 minutes before sending my application to read it on later and find out I forgot to write a comma and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by koolgurl14
Sent my medicine personal statement and I added a further more 5 minutes before sending my application to read it on later and find out I forgot to write a comma and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Nope. Nobody will care. Ever.

Uni's hardly read Personal Statements

You will definitely be rejected.
How do you expect us to read that paragraph you just wrote, with no commas all the way till the end?
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Really????
Original post by EastGuava
Really????

Okay. Right.

If there's an applicant applying, with Predicted grades 2-3 grades above your typical offer, you're just going to give them an offer straight away right? Well this takes up the majority of applications, since everyone has their 3rd/4th/5th choice that they fully expect offers from.

Then for the top Uni's, they scan through it for about 20 seconds so they can come up with something to say for interview or to check stuff (like for medicine - checking for volunteering etc). Then they move on, Uni's don't have time to read it all.
Something like that is unlikely to be noticed too much, I wouldn't worry

Not for maths no. Please don't assume the same is true for other subjects. It's poor advice and misinformation.

For medicine they do. A score for the PS is often a key element in shortlisting.

However OP they're scoring for content not spag. If they notice they're unlikely to care.

(Although if I had my way I'd put every PS using the word furthermore straight in the bin. It's worse than passion IMO. Cliched and adds absolutely nothing to a PS. Filler words do my head in. )
(edited 8 years ago)

loool

They definitely do for medicine. Where on earth did you get that assumption from?!
Reply 8
Universities never read personal statements, they normally drop that bomb on us in year 2
Original post by thecatwithnohat
loool

They definitely do for medicine. Where on earth did you get that assumption from?!

Hope.
Original post by PQ
Not for maths no. Please don't assume the same is true for other subjects. It's poor advice and misinformation.

For medicine they do. A score for the PS is often a key element in shortlisting.

However OP they're scoring for content not spag. If they notice they're unlikely to care.

(Although if I had my way I'd put every PS using the word furthermore straight in the bin. It's worse than passion IMO. Cliched and adds absolutely nothing to a PS. Filler words do my head in. )

Wait I thought that for Maths, the personal statement isn't as important as it is for Medicine, for example. It's still important of course. Also what's wrong with furthermore? I mean if you follow each and every clichéd advice, you'd end up with the most robotic written piece of work ever.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Hope.

:moon:
Original post by gagafacea1
Wait I thought that for Maths, the personal statement isn't as important as it is for Medicine, for example. It's still important of course. Also what's wrong with furthermore? I mean if you follow each and every clichéd advice, to use your terms, you'd end up with the most robotic written piece of work ever.

That's what I said. The ps is often not important for maths - that isn't the case for other subjects especially medicine.

As for furthermore- what does it add to a sentence? Fluff. It's filler - it is the language of uncertainty and vagueness. There's barely a ps submitted that doesn't waste characters on it. Characters that would be better used telling the reader about something unique to the applicant.
Original post by PQ
That's what I said. The ps is often not important for maths - that isn't the case for other subjects especially medicine.

As for furthermore- what does it add to a sentence? Fluff. It's filler - it is the language of uncertainty and vagueness. There's barely a ps submitted that doesn't waste characters on it. Characters that would be better used telling the reader about something unique to the applicant.

Oh sorry I seem to have misunderstood.

About the furthermore- I totally get what you're saying. Actually, do you mind taking the time to read my personal statement? I've already sent it, but I would love to know what you think, you seem to know a lot about this stuff, and I've probably done a lot of those "throw straight in the bin" mistakes lol.
Original post by PQ

As for furthermore - what does it add to a sentence?

It might not help explain why the person wants to study the subject but I think it does its job well of introducing fresh consideration in an argument.

You can do clever things like reorder sentences but it's my opinion that at some point it's just going to sound list-y and omitting such adverbs and other connectives leads to a very dry piece of prose.
That said, I appreciate 4000 characters is a small limit and you have to be careful to not waste space.
How pathetic must a uni be to reject someone based on a comma!
Reply 16
You won't be rejected for misssing out a comma
Original post by thecatwithnohat
loool

I said nobody will ever care about the comma mistake this person made.

Then I said "Uni's hardly read Personal Statements" - Implying that, despite the obvious few cases where they do, they generally either don't read it, or skim through it in 15 seconds.
Reply 18

funny how you didn't use any commas here either haha. I nearly had an asthma attack trying to read this.
FS I just realised I wrote "agonizing" instead of "agonising" am I going to deffo be rejected now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending