A2 History Essay Help Watch

JxI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'l be honest, History at AS was not a good year for me, I only just scraped through with a C and to get to university, I need to be able to get my Essay game up this year. So far in the 3 Essays i've got I've gotten 3 D's, what can I do to improve them??
JackFletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Structure is key, if possible ask your classmates how they structure their essays. Also make sure you stay on topic and focus on the question and don't ramble about something not related to your essay question. Lastly, practice doing essays in timed conditions so you can be prepared for how much time you really have to write ab essay in an exam
SMer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JxI)
I'l be honest, History at AS was not a good year for me, I only just scraped through with a C and to get to university, I need to be able to get my Essay game up this year. So far in the 3 Essays i've got I've gotten 3 D's, what can I do to improve them??
We've been taught about allowing our arguments to gather pace throughout our essays, i.e. starting with an argument in the introduction then addressing it throughout. Mini conclude all paragraphs as well as being more analytical instead of narrative in your writing. I hope this helps!
DaveUncle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You must reinforce your answer to the question throughout the essay.

In the introduction state what you're going to argue (Eg all the rebellions in the Tudor period were underpinned by factional conflicts, in my case) and argue this throughout and constantly refer back to it after each section of your essay.

Words like "underpinned" are great for getting high marks as it shows a higher level of thinking (maybe)? So if you were to get a question like, using the Tudor example again, "Assess the view that religious tensions were the main reason for rebellions in the Tudor period", you'd say in your introduction that you disagree.

Then you'd follow this kind of structure.
Section 1 - Rebellions where religion was the major cause
Section 2 - Rebellions where religion had a part to play (eg a unifier but not a major cause, and you'd argue factional disputes were_
Section 3 - Rebellion where religion wasn't involved, and it was all faction.
Conclusion.

Obviously you probably aren't studying the Tudors but hopefully this gives you some idea of what to do, sorry if this is of no help whatsoever!

Also I should add that I got an A in A level History and full marks in this paper, so I'm not making this up!!!
Ananse
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How much additional reading do you do? You can't rely on the textbook that your school provides alone (or maybe you can?)
JxI
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by DaveUncle)
You must reinforce your answer to the question throughout the essay.

In the introduction state what you're going to argue (Eg all the rebellions in the Tudor period were underpinned by factional conflicts, in my case) and argue this throughout and constantly refer back to it after each section of your essay.

Words like "underpinned" are great for getting high marks as it shows a higher level of thinking (maybe)? So if you were to get a question like, using the Tudor example again, "Assess the view that religious tensions were the main reason for rebellions in the Tudor period", you'd say in your introduction that you disagree.

Then you'd follow this kind of structure.
Section 1 - Rebellions where religion was the major cause
Section 2 - Rebellions where religion had a part to play (eg a unifier but not a major cause, and you'd argue factional disputes were_
Section 3 - Rebellion where religion wasn't involved, and it was all faction.
Conclusion.

Obviously you probably aren't studying the Tudors but hopefully this gives you some idea of what to do, sorry if this is of no help whatsoever!

Also I should add that I got an A in A level History and full marks in this paper, so I'm not making this up!!!
Thanks for this! I've been re doing the latest essay and it seems to be going a lot smoother that it has in the past! I am doing American History at the moment (The boring stuff like the economic boom) but even with your example its going a lot smoother
DaveUncle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hope you get the grade you want!
(Original post by JxI)
Thanks for this! I've been re doing the latest essay and it seems to be going a lot smoother that it has in the past! I am doing American History at the moment (The boring stuff like the economic boom) but even with your example its going a lot smoother
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (334)
15.62%
The paper was reasonable (1166)
54.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (462)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
8.23%

Watched Threads