?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
would i do german at the end of year 13 but maths at the end of year 12
Moksha2193555
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I heard that you do your all exams at the end of the year - no coursework.

I believe you can drop an AS after a year.

Kaedra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Basically AS Levels have been scrapped for most subjects (you can still do them but they won't count towards your final mark, it would just be an extra qualification). Instead, the exams are all taken at the end of the two years - I believe coursework (e.g. in science) has also been scrapped. Additionally, they have all been made harder, especially the sciences which are becoming more math-based and Maths as well I believe.

Source(s): Currently choosing my A-levels as well
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lilyhutton)
So could somebody explain to me the changes that have occurred to A Levels (from this september). i'm picking my a levels soon and I was kinda confused.
When it says modular, does that mean you can still drop it after one year? and would that still be an AS? Would you get results the summer you did that, or have to wait till next summer?
any explanation would be appreciated.
The changes are explained here
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...a-level-reform

How many subjects you are allowed to start, which you can take an AS in and what you can drop will depend on where you choose to study. Different schools and colleges have adopted different strategies to respond to the changes.

Most subjects will have changed by the start of next year, but not all. See the link above.
Current A levels are modular. Results from AS exams count as half of the full A level. You can resit individual AS or A2 units to improve your grade. If your chosen subject hasn't changed when you start A levels then this will still apply to that subject.
New A levels are linear. You can take and be awarded an AS in any of them (if your school chooses to enable this) but the results don't contribute to your full A level grade. You will be tested on the full 2 years of learning at the end of the course. If you need to resit to improve your grade you will take the full set of A level exams again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kaedra)
Basically AS Levels have been scrapped for most subjects (you can still do them but they won't count towards your final mark, it would just be an extra qualification). Instead, the exams are all taken at the end of the two years - I believe coursework (e.g. in science) has also been scrapped. Additionally, they have all been made harder, especially the sciences which are becoming more math-based and Maths as well I believe.

Source(s): Currently choosing my A-levels as well
Although the practical exams no longer count towards your final grade, science subjects still have a set of practical assessments that you have to take and pass to fully complete the A level.
Maths has not yet changed and won't until 2 year courses that start in September 2017 with full A level exams in 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kaedra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
Although the practical exams no longer count towards your final grade, science subjects still have a set of practical assessments that you have to take and pass to fully complete the A level.
Maths has not yet changed and won't until 2 year courses that start in September 2017 with full A level exams in 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, ok. I find it difficult to know which ones have changed as my school decided to go fully linear
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kaedra)
Ah, ok. I find it difficult to know which ones have changed as my school decided to go fully linear
Yup, it's potentially confusing because schools are doing different things as they respond to the changes. Best plan is to ask for detailed clarification from the sixth form/colleges you apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.39%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.31%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (97)
17.86%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (82)
15.1%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (165)
30.39%

Watched Threads