Girls, would you rather date a male feminist or anti-feminist? Watch

Poll: Who would you rather date?
A male feminist (40)
42.11%
A guy who doesn't like feminism but is for equal rights (42)
44.21%
An anti-feminist who thinks women and men should stick to traditional gender roles (13)
13.68%
Danz123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Since we've had one for guys and whether they'd date feminists, I want to know if any women are put off by the prospect of a guy not being a feminist, or indeed being one. There are maaaaaany anti-feminist dudes on TSR. They range from self-proclaimed 'egalitarians' who just don't like the word feminism, to downright chauvinists who aren't too big on gender equality. Now it may seem obvious that most women would go for a guy who believes in gender equality, but given the nature of this site I sense alot of women may also have gender expectations that don't exactly gel with feminism.

Now, I myself am a feminist, and people on here seem to have many misconceptions about feminism, but we'll leave that for another thread.
JD1lla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In what way are you a feminist?
Katty3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would only date a guy who believes in gender equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Harvey Dent)
Hahaha, that's funny. Like women are given the choice in these matters.
I wish I could rep you again, you always make me laugh.
Harvey Dent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I wish I could rep you again, you always make me laugh.
Always? I always thought I was more of a 50/50 kinda guy.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Harvey Dent)
Always? I always thought I was more of a 50/50 kinda guy.
Always.
lotusbloom
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd rather date someone who is an egalitarian, so someone who is concerned with equality issues all-round
Harvey Dent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Always.
After all this time Severus?
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think the last two options are mutually exclusive. A person can be for equal rights, while at the same time believing that it is appropriate to stick to traditional gender roles to some extent.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, if I bothered dating, I'd definitely date a male feminist. I mean if they don't identify with the label feminist then that's fine I guess as long as they believe in gender equality and they're also not racist etc, it falls under my remit of 'Has to be a decent person'. I wouldn't date an anti-feminist, and certainly not some of the boys on here.
Kaedra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why would I enter into a relationship with a person that saw me as inferior?
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kaedra)
Why would I enter into a relationship with a person that saw me as inferior?
None of the options entails that.
SwedishRedhead
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I want a meninist. Dat dere Reddit fedora of peace and prosperity. Dat dere HBB 10/10 neckbeard. Dat dere MLP poster and euphoria.
Kaedra
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Feminism is a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women."

So isn't being anti-feminist the same as being against men and women having the same rights?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Feminism is a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women."

So isn't being anti-feminist the same as being against men and women having the same rights?
Are all Christians Catholic?

If you are anti-catholic are you anti Christian?
Kaedra
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are all Christians Catholic?

If you are anti-catholic are you anti Christian?
The idea behind feminism is gender equality. More like claiming to be a Christian yet not believing in a God.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The idea behind feminism is gender equality. More like claiming to be a Christian yet not believing in a God.
The idea does not always relate to the reality. This can be seen throughout feminism, it focuses solely on women to try and achieve gender equality.

But how can you gain equality when you only focus on one side of the issue?
elliemayxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd rather date a guy who doesn't feel the need to label himself as anything.
Kaedra
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The idea does not always relate to the reality. This can be seen throughout feminism, it focuses solely on women to try and achieve gender equality.

But how can you gain equality when you only focus on one side of the issue?
That may or may not be true but you admit that the basic idea of gender equality is not wrong, so why would you call yourself anti-feminist? To use your own analogy it's like declaring yourself anti-Christian because you disagree with what the Catholics do.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That may or may not be true but you admit that the basic idea of gender equality is not wrong, so why would you call yourself anti-feminist? To use your own analogy it's like declaring yourself anti-Christian because you disagree with what the Catholics do.
I am an anti-feminist. I completely agree with gender equality, I just disagree with the way feminism goes about it.

It be like saying I am Christian but I disagree with the fundamentals of Catholicism.

See I agree with the over arching theme of gender equality or Christianity in the example but disagree in how each movement go about using those themes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.27%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (121)
17.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (68)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (214)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise