The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SAM*
Hey i'm a prospective med student, can't wait till i start at BARTS in september!!!

SAM
X
YEEEAAAHHH! Another Bartite :smile:
here is the list:
prospective:
zombie
lovely_girl
Mathemagician
Dust
Babygal
me!
sparkly_tiara
Fluffy
the_wizzz
mabs
MalaysianDude
p8224
Sarky
SAM*

current medics:
Daveo
joyabbott

entry 2005 thread : http://www.uk-learning.net/t50578.html
Reply 42
I'm a prospective in that I already got rejected, but they haven't heard the last of me yet, i Will finf a way in :cool:
kohlstream
I'm a prospective in that I already got rejected, but they haven't heard the last of me yet, i Will finf a way in :cool:

good on you! are you gap yearing and reapplying?
Reply 44
no, i was going to go to bristol and study neuroscience and then go. But I think I won't get the grades, so I may go to college or something, work on the grades and getting a ton of work exp and extra curricular stuff, and then maybe reapply. Any ideas?
Reply 45
kohlstream
no, i was going to go to bristol and study neuroscience and then go. But I think I won't get the grades, so I may go to college or something, work on the grades and getting a ton of work exp and extra curricular stuff, and then maybe reapply. Any ideas?
Graduate entry medicine is infinitely more competative than medicine as a school leaver. I would give serious consideration to Gapping if you get the grades and resitting if you do not.

fxx
Reply 46
Fluffy
Graduate entry medicine is infinitely more competative than medicine as a school leaver. I would give serious consideration to Gapping if you get the grades and resitting if you do not.

fxx

thanks, I didn't know that.

Will there be a problem if I retake, I mean I have heard they don't look upon it too kindly?
Reply 47
I'm a prospective.

Am stilling my A2's but haven't applied yet though, am applying in september and taking a gap year.

Very worried I wont get my grades though.
Reply 48
kohlstream
thanks, I didn't know that.

Will there be a problem if I retake, I mean I have heard they don't look upon it too kindly?

Well to put things into context - for the GEPs this year most places had on average 1100 - 1200 applicant for 30-40 places! All peeps have a 2i or 1st (with the exception of GGHMS and Notts who take a 2.2 if you pass the GAMSAT, which is a 5 hour exam that costs arounf £165 to take!) a lot have PhD's and most have bags of work and voluntary experience. It's usually more down to luck thatn your suitability that gets you a place.

As for retakes - there are a good few schools that will accept you with retake grades - most say so on their websites if they do. Others although they don't have a generic stance of retake will consider you if you are the right candidate. Your best bet is to e-mail places and find out.

Where did you apply to this year?

Fxx
Reply 49
Fluffy

Where did you apply to this year?

Fxx

I applied to King's, UCL, Imperial and Penninsula.

I feel like such a retard for getting rejected :frown:

But have you any tips for if I did take a gap year, I mean say I resat exams next September, what experience you reckon I should get in the meantime that would help?
Reply 50
kohlstream
I applied to King's, UCL, Imperial and Penninsula.

I feel like such a retard for getting rejected :frown:

But have you any tips for if I did take a gap year, I mean say I resat exams next September, what experience you reckon I should get in the meantime that would help?

Don't feel like a retard! I got 4 rejections last year for medicine, and that was after a D.Phil (same as a PhD) at Oxford. It happens to the best of us, and if that's the worse rejection you're faced with in life, you're doing well!

This year I got an offer from my 1st interview (at my first choice - Barts), and that was on day 2 of their interview period at the beginning of November! I used the same PS, same reference, etc. So it just goes to show... you shouldn't feel bad about not getting an offer this year - If you want it enough you will get there!

What experience do you have so far?

fx
Reply 51
Fluffy

What experience do you have so far?

fx

Blimey!

I have embarassingly little work experience, I know I was wasting my time applying. So, I'm going to start from scratch and get the best chance I can of getting in. What do you reckon would help, first aid course, helping in old people's home, few weeks work exp in hospitals in diff departments.. that kinda thing?
Reply 52
kohlstream
Blimey!

I have embarassingly little work experience, I know I was wasting my time applying. So, I'm going to start from scratch and get the best chance I can of getting in. What do you reckon would help, first aid course, helping in old people's home, few weeks work exp in hospitals in diff departments.. that kinda thing?

If you want to look really dedicated a prolonged effort at a nursing home or hospice is going to look fantastic on your UCAS form. Such experiences can be hard and daunting though - you get used to death fairly quickly, and I would only consider doing it if it is something you genuinely want to do - don't do it just to pop on your form... These are vunerable adults and you do really need to want to be there - for them more than anything.

Other stuff: Millenium volunteers is a good start - www.milleniumvolunteers.gov.uk they have lots of community based volunteer projects, some of which do have a medical basis, but all are community based, which is great and an important factor for a cv.

basically anything you can do - even if it's 'just' doing the weekly shop for an elderly neighbour will stand you in good sted.
Reply 53
sleepingbeauty
Talk of a society for medics/prospectives.

There should be 3 sub categories:
Prospective medics
Current med student
Graduates (GODS!)

here is the list:
prospective:
zombie
lovely_girl
Mathemagician
Dust
Babygal
me!
sparkly_tiara
Fluffy
the_wizzz
mabs
MalaysianDude
p8224
Sarky
SAM*

current medics:
Daveo
joyabbott

entry 2005 thread : http://www.uk-learning.net/t50578.html

plz add me as well as a prospective student. I am in year 10 and even now consider to study medicine in the future.
Reply 54
Im am gonna be a doc too, can i be added to the prospective list??
Reply 55
also, have you come across these medicine based forums:

www.admissionsforum.co.uk

www.medschoolguide.co.uk

Both are good sites with lots of peeps in the same boat.

also if you are interested in graduate medcine, this site is a new one that looks like being a life send:

http://www.freewebs.com/graduatemedicine/
Reply 56
If i got An A in Maths And A in further Maths and A in chemistry And A in Biology And A in Computing, would that be enoguh to ensure my entry to meidacl shcool??

And what is all this stuff about VOulnatry work??

Any one>
Reply 57
KOH
If i got An A in Maths And A in further Maths and A in chemistry And A in Biology And A in Computing, would that be enoguh to ensure my entry to meidacl shcool??

And what is all this stuff about VOulnatry work??

Any one>
Nope AAAAAAA wouldn't guarantee you a place at medical school.

Work experience is very important - almost as much importance is put on work experience as grades, providing you get the right predicted grades of course.....
Reply 58
Can I have Associate Membership? :smile:
Reply 59
I'm a prospective! Hopefully off 2 Sheffield this september...if i get the grades :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending