The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
freakeystyley34
Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that Orient House won't be there next year as it isn't owned by imperial and afaik is being rented from Unite because southside is being redeveloped.

Yes.
But firstly Piccadily Court is further out, they would probabily close that first.
Secondly, the plan is that we redevelop Linstead once Southside is done.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I think it's good that we pay for accomodation over easter etc. That way I can spend more time at uni and less around family if it get's to hectic or too much of a drag. It'll be especially useful if i get a job in london too.
Reply 62
How to Apply
Providing you are a prospective undergraduate student and once you have firmly accepted an academic offer from Imperial College London you will recieve an email or letter (from late April onwards) with instructions of our online application procedure.

You should complete the online application form as soon as you are instructed to do so - even if Imperial College London is your insurance offer.

Now i've got a problem. I still haven't received the email or letter yet, but I've already made IC to be my firm since Feb.....
Have u guys received the instructions already?
Shall i send them a email or sth??
Reply 63
farfaraway
Now i've got a problem. I still haven't received the email or letter yet, but I've already made IC to be my firm since Feb.....
Have u guys received the instructions already?
Shall i send them a email or sth??

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=372834
So is it generally the case that people who live in Imperial accommodation and not go home for the holidays? If it is, I thought that was something rarely done at uni.

To people at IC who are in private accommodation now, how are the rental agreements/terms compared to Imperial's?
Reply 65
What about the price ranges of second (and upper) year accomodation in comparison to first year?
Reply 66
BJH1412
What about the price ranges of second (and upper) year accomodation in comparison to first year?

....you'll be living in London in your second year....
This means it can range from 60ppw upwards, the sky's the limit...
PS...60ppw will most likely consist of a run down flat in the middle of Zone A with roaches everywhere and a shoebox for a room.

Realistically...think about 90-120ppw...
Not including water,electricity,TV license, gas, internet nor phone.
Reply 67
Mehh
PS...60ppw will most likely consist of a run down flat in the middle of Zone A with roaches everywhere and a shoebox for a room.

Thats saves me flipping the coin for commuting.
Reply 68
which means that overall the second year might be more expensive than the first?
Reply 69
BJH1412
which means that overall the second year might be more expensive than the first?

Well...apart from the fact you will drink a HELL of a lot more in your first year..pretty much certain...
Reply 70
Mehh
Well...apart from the fact you will drink a HELL of a lot more in your first year..pretty much certain...

I dont really like drinking a lot... and I hate beers (will I still be able to fit in? :p: ) so I guess alcohol wont be part of my budget
are there loads of pot smokers in UK universities? (I might do a lot of that)
Reply 71
How important is the hall warden?? For instance, would it be a bad idea to apply for a hall where the warden is somebody who knows your father really really well?!?!
Reply 72
kazaa
How important is the hall warden?? For instance, would it be a bad idea to apply for a hall where the warden is somebody who knows your father really really well?!?!

Depends on the warden.
Besides...I am damned SURE you can't choose which halls you end up in.

I know, there have been rumors going arround that this year is different yada yada yada. Thats happened EVERY year. Give it up. Everyone wants to go to Beit or Southside, there isn't any point of putting in a prefered halls section.
Reply 73
Mehh
Depends on the warden.

I know, there have been rumors going arround that this year is different yada yada yada. Thats happened EVERY year. Give it up. Everyone wants to go to Beit or Southside, there isn't any point of putting in a prefered halls section.

Do you mean the forms wont enable one to choose his preferred hall or that the forms will allow one to choose halls but it won't change anything because everybody will choose Beit and Southside? If its the first, then i believe you're wrong ( http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/residences/studentaccommodation/ugprospectivestudent/faqs/ ). Otherwise, it's probably true but loads of people will still choose other halls to pay lower fees (which is useful for them at least).
Reply 74
Mehh
Depends on the warden.

Well, do you know the warden for Weeks & Garden?

Not everyone wants Beit or Southside..sure, loads of people will want those two, but I know quite a few people who'd prefer to have a hall in Evelyn Gardens cause of the location or even Fisher (!) because they just want a cheap hall..or maybe they want a hall which has shared rooms (Southside doesn't). I guess it's better for those who will pick a more obscure hall. I'd quite like Beit, but I'm not that fussed..I just want a single room in South Ken. Do you think my chances will be good if I pick Weeks?? I'd actually prefer Garden, but they only have 14 single rooms or so..hmm.
Reply 75
kazaa
Well, do you know the warden for Weeks & Garden?

Nope...
Reply 76
Mehh

..or if you are prepared to share, a decent sized triple room in a place with similar facilities to halls (i.e. shared kitchen, bath, bills included) 10 minutes walk from Imperial !! Well it was 60 ppw when i joined, now its gone up to 65. (Belvedere House / Halpin House --> www.london-hostels.co.uk)
Reply 77
impetus
..or if you are prepared to share, a decent sized triple room in a place with similar facilities to halls (i.e. shared kitchen, bath, bills included) 10 minutes walk from Imperial !! Well it was 60 ppw when i joined, now its gone up to 65. (Belvedere House / Halpin House --> www.london-hostels.co.uk)

seems nice and cheap! thx
Reply 78
Does everyone want a single en suite room? Cuz that's all i want and i cant be bothered to be offered a single room with shared bathrooms and showers. I can't stand the idea of sharing my personal stuff, or everytime i need to have a shower takin everythin i need in there!
Reply 79
You never have to share your personal stuff if you don't want to... not sure how much stuff you take in the shower, but it's no big deal really...

Latest