The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yes that is what you get for leaving them mainly on grass whilst your in Oxford. The BVC looks seriously hard, its the constant assessment thing that drives me nuts. The lovely thing about Oxford is the assessment all at the end, other than possible collections and man are they disorganised about that
Reply 21
R-E-P-L-I-E-S. When do we want them?

NOW!
Yorkshire_Laura
yes that is what you get for leaving them mainly on grass whilst your in Oxford. The BVC looks seriously hard, its the constant assessment thing that drives me nuts. The lovely thing about Oxford is the assessment all at the end, other than possible collections and man are they disorganised about that

Meh, because it is kind of constant nobody really gives a crap about each one!! They are less nerve-wracking than, say, a tutorial with Colin Tapper! Really, they are also so skills based that you generally can't do that much in the way of preparation so there's much less study guilt!
Sounds good. If I get a pupillage I am going to do the BVC, otherwise I am going to apply again for the Inns Scholarships and more Pupillages. I am going to try and apply for some teaching posts if I get offered an Mphil then see what happens. Might get rejected for them all. It is quite possible. There is not much funding for a lone Mphil and some teaching would be good and stop me from going insane otherwise.
Julia Whittaker
Meh, because it is kind of constant nobody really gives a crap about each one!! They are less nerve-wracking than, say, a tutorial with Colin Tapper! Really, they are also so skills based that you generally can't do that much in the way of preparation so there's much less study guilt!

I'm glad they're skills based. It sorts those good at swotting from those actually good enough to practice.
Reply 25
Postgrads at Ox studying financial law may be interested in reading the news article below. Note the huge sum involved :eek:

From Lawcareers.net:
Oxford Raids 'Other Place' for Lovells Prof

A senior lecturer at Cambridge University has been named as the first Lovells Professor of Law and Finance at arch-rival Oxford University.

John Armour, an expert on company law, corporate finance and corporate insolvency, will take up his appointment in July.

The interdisciplinary post at Oxford was created after international firm Lovells pledged £500,000 to fund its first five years.

Financial law is already the most popular area among Oxford's postgraduate law students and Armour will help to devise a new MSc in Law, Finance and Economics that plays to the university's research strengths in these areas.

Armour commented: "Interdisciplinary scholarship focusing on theories and evidence about how the law actually functions in relation to finance is of the utmost importance. Globalisation makes it more important than ever to be able to assess critically legal techniques for governing financial transactions."
Hmmm interesting! Can't say I'm surprised... unis are like law firms in that they're constantly poaching people lol. Anyway, Lovells are getting something seriously good back from it I'm sure. Publicity for starts... and they have supposedly been 'slipping back' in recent years so need to get their name more out there.
Reply 27
I would be interested to know how much funding is available for the different modules at different universities and how that money is used. A lot of it can and should go to the staff, I suppose.
Stuff like human rights is the 'hardest' to get funding for, according to my Prof (but she is in Asia where talking about 'rights' is an extremely awkward concept... 10 years ago a module called 'human rights' wasn't allowed at NUS, for instance, and Singapore is relatively liberal for Asia). Hence, big firms are far more willing (as exhibited by Lovells) to sponsor areas which are more 'advantageous' to them, and understandably I guess. Unless they're trying to drum up a sense of corporate social responsibility, them putting money into human rights may offend many clients who are often the ones committing the abuses (or at least involved) in many countries where they have their factories etc.

I think some of it must go to the staff, but lots of it goes into sourcing materials etc too and any original research which has to be done of whatever form. Ranging from interviewing people to sending out surveys etc.
Tory_boy
I would be interested to know how much funding is available for the different modules at different universities and how that money is used. A lot of it can and should go to the staff, I suppose.

Lots for an Mphil for Laura, it was successful despite the rushed nature. Still probs won't do it, nice fall back plan. Now see how much you can rake out of them for a bit of teaching, provided they give it to you that is.
Reply 30
hermaphrodite
tory boy - go away you toff
Sorry old boy, did I offend you?

Latest

Trending

Trending