Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovalorbit)
    It is slightly pointless trying to learn topics just before the exam because it never really goes in properly. However, revising just before is great especially if the thing that u have just looked at comes up.
    Apparently you do forget everything you've learnt in 24 hours... which is why they say to go over stuff :rolleyes:

So cramming does work

ReputationRep:
    I always end up cramming because I never revise before hand ... and I never learn that I should start revising earlier ... lol.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't like coffee try Red Bull, works like a charm for concentration due to the buckets of chemicals in it. I used it for my german revision and exam and i noticed i actually found german relatively interesting which is an improvement on the usaul **** i think it is ! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    I always end up cramming because I never revise before hand ... and I never learn that I should start revising earlier ... lol.
    No need!! If cramming works for you then that is great! Why bother spending weeks over it?!

This year, the pressure of university offer go me to start revising pretty early. But basically I spent weeks typing up notes and doing past papers. It's only now (like.. the week before my exam) that I'm doing what I'd say actually constitutes revision... Therefore the day&night before the exam is totally a good proportion of my whole revision time!

ReputationRep:
    Reading over everything the night before helps me because most of its in my head anyway and just needs a quick refresh. I'm lucky though - it doesn't work that way for a lot of people.

i find that i need to start revising a few weeks before the exam and then build up so i do lots in the few days before and then the day before but i dont really do much the night before except go to bed quite early-im not one for cramming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    No need!! If cramming works for you then that is great! Why bother spending weeks over it?!

This year, the pressure of university offer go me to start revising pretty early. But basically I spent weeks typing up notes and doing past papers. It's only now (like.. the week before my exam) that I'm doing what I'd say actually constitutes revision... Therefore the day&night before the exam is totally a good proportion of my whole revision time!
    Lol, yeh, but I always think if I actually revised for longer I might have been able to get an A* instead or an A or something like that, never mind though eh? I'm telling myself that next year when I do my as course I'm gonna revise like crazy ... I wonder if that's gonna happen ...

ReputationRep:
    im going to attempt to learn the whole physics syllabus tomorrow. could be interesting. cramming definitely works for me, the only problem is it doesn't transfer to my long term memory so i promptly forget it all the next morning. not good when the moduels build on one another.

ReputationRep:
    damn you organised ppl. Im the leader of disorganised last minute revision and flukily gettin good grades !

ReputationRep:
    Most of the revision I do is the day before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingo)
    damn you organised ppl. Im the leader of disorganised last minute revision and flukily gettin good grades !
    no im the leader

ReputationRep:
    i guess it depends on the subject really..

i mean try doing an english all niter and its not a good idea...
    on the other hand do a chem all niter and it works out pretty good

ReputationRep:
    I'd never recommend all nighters before an exam - no matter how OK you think you are, your brain won't be functioning on all cylinders. One thing that does work for me though is to get up really early - say 4am - the morning of the exam, to cram. But I'd go to bed early too, and get the full eight hours. And I only did that this year... not the best course of action but sadly necessary since I knew nothing. Might actually have to do some work next year...

ReputationRep:
    Doing stuff the night before helps a lot with exams. Your memory gets reconsolidated in your sleep, making it more useful (if done properly) than revising early before the exam. Wouldn't advise trying to do a lot of learning the night before - just wrapping up loose ends and things, as learning things properly enough to know really well in 24hrs time can be time consuming - presumably time is what you don't have at that stage.

What you knew for weeks before and know today, you will know tomorrow. What you know today but did not know before, you MAY know tomorrow. But that's a bit of pot luck - especially when you're faced with large amounts of information. Early, light-hearted revision, followed by heavier night-before revisiting seems to be a compromise between apathy and fear of failure that I reckon can work out reasonably well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingo)
    if you don't like coffee try Red Bull, works like a charm for concentration due to the buckets of chemicals in it. I used it for my german revision and exam and i noticed i actually found german relatively interesting which is an improvement on the usaul **** i think it is ! lol
    Doesn't red bull make you really hyper for a while then completely tapped out? I've only drunk it with vodka before and have felt really tired after about 4 hours later.

ReputationRep:
    I revise a week or a few weeks before the exam. If I revise near the day of the exam, I won't get anything revised and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    i think if you learn it during the year and forgot the night before can be a big helped, if u partly know it tat will work too but there so much new things u can learn today( i got a phys exam tmr 1.30 pm)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.