The Student Room Group

extra time in exams

I've been told by my doctor that i can get extra time in exams, as i have arthritis in my fingers and its not yet under control.

and i've been told by college that i could have a computer if i wanted one - i guess instead of extra time?

just wondering which one would be better in peoples opinions? extra time or a computer? or would i get extra time AND a computer?

also, does anyone know how much extra time i would get?

thankyou!
Actually, it sounds as though you might get extra time AND a computer. Though to be honest, you still might prefer to stick to handwriting - it is possible to start faffing around with computers and not getting down to any work!
Reply 2
I think you are eligable for up to 25% extra time :smile:

Well my friend who had dyslexia gets that anyway.
Reply 3
it is possible to start faffing around with computers and not getting down to any work!

Yeah, you'll be posting on TSR and suddenly the examiner announces there's five minutes left and you think, 'crap! My history essay!':rolleyes:
AisAis
Yeah, you'll be posting on TSR and suddenly the examiner announces there's five minutes left and you think, 'crap! My history essay!':rolleyes:

Then the examiner catches you on TSR and disqualifies you for cheating :p:

Seriously though, it depends whether you feel more comfortable writing or typing and which you can do quicker.
Reply 5
Bexiness!
I think you are eligable for up to 25% extra time :smile:

Well my friend who had dyslexia gets that anyway.

25% is the standerd extra time, but it depends on how disabled you are.

25% works out to an extra 25% for every hour, so 15mins more for every hour you do.
Reply 6
Dude
25% is the standerd extra time, but it depends on how disabled you are.

25% works out to an extra 25% for every hour, so 15mins more for every hour you do.

Actually for me, i get %33, 25% of which i can work for and the rest to check my paper etc, i dictate my exams, which is a bit of a pain, but it's useful that i get the %8 to check the person writing actually followed what i said!
emerley
I've been told by my doctor that i can get extra time in exams, as i have arthritis in my fingers and its not yet under control.

and i've been told by college that i could have a computer if i wanted one - i guess instead of extra time?

just wondering which one would be better in peoples opinions? extra time or a computer? or would i get extra time AND a computer?

also, does anyone know how much extra time i would get?

thankyou!

You should get both...
Reply 8
well its all been sorted, and i only got given rest breaks in the end.. the exam board wouldnt have given me extra time

to be honest rest breaks arent going to do much to help. im quite annoyed that i dont get anything even though its a physical thing that affecting me.

my pills are starting to kick in so im just hoping really hard that my fingers will be good by exam time.. *sighs*
Reply 9
thats a bit rubbish then. i would have thought you'd have got extra time. but i guess just rest breaks has gotta be slightly better than nothing at least? i hope exams go well for you anyway. eden.
You might find that rest breaks help you more than extra time. If you have problems with your fingers, writing for longer isn't going to help them! I get extra time and rest breaks, yet I only use the rest breaks, as having to work for longer is completely counterproductive, just a thought though.
Reply 11
do you reckon? i guess that might be true actually.. i was working on the basis that i just write a bit slower than usual. ah well the rest breaks are there if i need them :smile:
Reply 12
I have both extra time and use of a laptop.

(Severe dyspraxia, SID and hypotonia)

Latest