The Student Room Group

Any Mst Creative Writing people out there?

I'm applying for a Mst in Creative Writing at Cambridge, I think I've just about got all my writing done for the application process. They'll either like what I did or they'll hate it and tell me to find a new hobby. Either way, I'll be proud to have at least tried.

I am a bit stumped on the Research Proposal, I can decide whether it's supposed to be a non-fiction research piece of academia or if I'm supposed to be outlining what I would like to do for my 2nd year project - which will most likely be fiction. Is there anyone else stuck on this? Am I being being completely stupid? I feel like the answer should be obvious.

Either way, I have emailed the Dept. Head and asked her, I thought I would post my results here after I receive them for anyone else that is feeling clueless about their proposal.

Any other insight is welcome!
Hi ginea,

I was in a similar position to you last year although for a PhD. You're not being stupid! There really is very little guidance for practice-led research degrees in the proposal phase, and the answer is not obvious at all. Even after a 3-year MFA and lots of grant applications and proposals for other writingy things I was kind of stumped. I really think practice-led proposals are far harder to construct because they're a fairly new trend and you're working with a LOT of variables and unknowns. In my experience what they're looking for is a formal/academic research proposal that extrapolates from your idea for the fiction (novel, story collection) what theoretical frameworks you might engage.

So, in other words, start with what you'd like to write creatively. Consider your themes and what contribution your work might make to the literary conversation. For instance, you might be writing short fiction set in the UK dominated by female characters in domestic situations, and this might lead you to investigate Tessa Hadley's work... It's best if you can identify something fresh -- of course arguably nothing in fiction is new but they like to see original angles.

If you're really desperate, I can maybe send you a copy of my proposal. It was deemed fundable by the AHRC and ultimately I was funded by my department, so I guess it worked, but in retrospect I would've made it even more formal/theoretical. Things might be a little different for the MSt.
*ginae
Reply 3
Original post by hopefulscribbler
*ginae

Hello Hopefulscribbler,

Thank you so much for your advice, I feel it's given me a bit more confidence that I am on the right track. I would very much like to take you up on your offer of allowing me to see a copy of your proposal- I am very grateful that you would be willing to do that! I've been looking for examples online so that I can make sure that I'm not going to far off into left field, but I've come up with some pretty poor results. Hopefully, seeing what you were able to accomplish with yours will help me to be more certain on the direction I need to go with mine.

Thank you so much for your help! I will PM you my direct email.
Emailed. :smile: Good luck!
Hi Ginae,

I'm applying for postgraduate study in CW, too; not at Cambridge though. I've got my portfoilios almost ready, but I'll probably select differents texts at the last minute. I'm just really unsure which texts to pick. I re-read a piece and think "I really enjoyed writing that", but I'm not sure if it's good enough. What influenced your decision?
I don't have to write a RP, but a PS. Do you have to write a PS in addition to a RP? Have you applied to any unis other than Cambrdige?

Original post by ginae
I'm applying for a Mst in Creative Writing at Cambridge, I think I've just about got all my writing done for the application process. They'll either like what I did or they'll hate it and tell me to find a new hobby. Either way, I'll be proud to have at least tried.

I am a bit stumped on the Research Proposal, I can decide whether it's supposed to be a non-fiction research piece of academia or if I'm supposed to be outlining what I would like to do for my 2nd year project - which will most likely be fiction. Is there anyone else stuck on this? Am I being being completely stupid? I feel like the answer should be obvious.

Either way, I have emailed the Dept. Head and asked her, I thought I would post my results here after I receive them for anyone else that is feeling clueless about their proposal.

Any other insight is welcome!
Reply 6
Original post by J. Fairfax
Hi Ginae,

I'm applying for postgraduate study in CW, too; not at Cambridge though. I've got my portfoilios almost ready, but I'll probably select differents texts at the last minute. I'm just really unsure which texts to pick. I re-read a piece and think "I really enjoyed writing that", but I'm not sure if it's good enough. What influenced your decision?
I don't have to write a RP, but a PS. Do you have to write a PS in addition to a RP? Have you applied to any unis other than Cambrdige?

Hi J. Fairfax, For my samples, Cambridge assigned specific topics, so I didn't pull from any of my past writing. In my opinion, I felt that the samples they are looking for were a bit short (only 1000 words each), but on the other hand, they have to read tons of applications, and if you cant win them with 1000 words you can't win them with 5000. I had a handful of friends read over my pieces and I specifically asked them to be mean about it :smile: I felt that drove me to write pieces that I feel really confident in. Maybe the same idea would work for you? Just a thought.

I think I would have had an easier time writing a PS (Cambridge doesn't ask for one), but then again there's still the issue of what exactly is the selector looking for?

I haven't applied for any other unis yet. Cambridge was my top pick, and I'm a US citizen so I'm not as familiar with many other schools in the UK. I am doing more research into other unis now (would love to hear some recommendations.). I just really liked the idea of having a more research-based study program. And the small, highly competitive nature of Cambridge's program really appealed to me.
A few friends of mine have already given me feedback and another friend is currently reading my selection of stories. I should proabably ask her to be mean about them, too :wink:. But of course I'll have to make the final decision ...
I've looked at the Cambridge Mst. I think it looks like a really great programme, but I won't be able to afford a two year course. I'd love to give you recommendations, but I'm a EU student so I'm not familiar with UK unis either. I applied to the uni of Glasgow last year (for the MLitt), but did not take the offer for family reasons. I had chosen Glasgow, because I liked the description of their programme: small class size, interestning workshops etc.

Original post by ginae
Hi J. Fairfax, For my samples, Cambridge assigned specific topics, so I didn't pull from any of my past writing. In my opinion, I felt that the samples they are looking for were a bit short (only 1000 words each), but on the other hand, they have to read tons of applications, and if you cant win them with 1000 words you can't win them with 5000. I had a handful of friends read over my pieces and I specifically asked them to be mean about it :smile: I felt that drove me to write pieces that I feel really confident in. Maybe the same idea would work for you? Just a thought.

I think I would have had an easier time writing a PS (Cambridge doesn't ask for one), but then again there's still the issue of what exactly is the selector looking for?

I haven't applied for any other unis yet. Cambridge was my top pick, and I'm a US citizen so I'm not as familiar with many other schools in the UK. I am doing more research into other unis now (would love to hear some recommendations.). I just really liked the idea of having a more research-based study program. And the small, highly competitive nature of Cambridge's program really appealed to me.
Reply 8
A few friends of mine have already given me feedback and another friend is currently reading my selection of stories. I should proabably ask her to be mean about them, too :wink:. But of course I'll have to make the final decision ...
I've looked at the Cambridge Mst. I think it looks like a really great programme, but I won't be able to afford a two year course. I'd love to give you recommendations, but I'm a EU student so I'm not familiar with UK unis either. I applied to the uni of Glasgow last year (for the MLitt), but did not take the offer for family reasons. I had chosen Glasgow, because I liked the description of their programme: small class size, interestning workshops etc.

Hi J. Fairfax, I completely understand, I am fortunate to have family in the UK otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford staying in the UK for length of the program either. I'll have to look at Glasgow and see what they offer :smile:

If I can help you at all please let me know! We CWs have to stick together right? :wink:
Thanks a lot.
I have my fingers crossed for you :smile:!
Original post by ginae
Hi J. Fairfax, I completely understand, I am fortunate to have family in the UK otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford staying in the UK for length of the program either. I'll have to look at Glasgow and see what they offer :smile:

If I can help you at all please let me know! We CWs have to stick together right? :wink:
Reply 10
Thanks a lot.
I have my fingers crossed for you :smile:!

Thanks! I had a really productive talk with one of the program managers at Cambridge today. She told me that their primary focus was on the writing samples that the applicants submit. She even noted that they had a girl about to graduate with a MSt who didn't even have an undergrad degree. So I'm feeling really confident about everything now.

I thought I'd share just in case Glasgow works the same way!

my fingers are crossed for the both of us :biggrin:
Reply 11
Hi Ginae, did you eventually go on to complete your MSt at Cambridge?

Latest

Trending

Trending