The Student Room Group

Article: Lad culture- sexist towards young men or a real problem?

Scroll to see replies

Deffo Banter!
Original post by abc:)
Sexist towards young MEN? Are you having a laugh? Was this written by a man? Tell me this was written by a man. No woman with an experience of higher education could have written this.

If a woman wrote it we'd hear about the fictional ''patriarchy''.
Maybe the pathetic Students Unions should start protesting more against actual harassment and sexism (like the **** the 'refugees' have been pulling in Germany) rather than against gatherings of more than 3 university aged British males?

I won't hold my breath.
Original post by Farage is a hero
Maybe the pathetic Students Unions should start protesting more against actual harassment and sexism (like the **** the 'refugees' have been pulling in Germany) rather than against gatherings of more than 3 university aged British males?

I won't hold my breath.

This country has a thing about gatherings. When I was in year 11 my secondary school banned us from walking in big groups because we scared the year 7s too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Needs to be tackled but I'm afraid that the feminist/women's lib movement has made a rod for its own back (quite literally, *if you'll pardon the pun in poor taste*) by encouraging promiscuity that irrefutably fuels LAD culture (and is psychologically harmful to young women and society)

Spoiler

Sorry but why can't a woman be promiscuous? If men sleep around they get called studs, if women do they get called sluts.

Feminism doesn't 'encourage promiscuity', it encourages women to do what they want and not feel bad about it, with regards to sex.
Don't you find it a far healthier attitude when a girl does what she wants and doesn't live under society's expectations that women can't have multiple sexual partners? There's nothing more unattractive as a guy, than a girl who wants to have sex with you but won't because she's scared of being judged for being a slut.
Like men, if they don't want to sleep with anyone that's fine, if they want to sleep with lots of men that's also fine.
I appreciate women are often worse for slut shaming though.
Reply 85
Original post by theperformer
If a woman wrote it we'd hear about the fictional ''patriarchy''.

cool lol
I think laddishness is like alcohol. A little of it can be quite fun and make an evening better, but if you let it control you, it will ruin your life.

-Not in anyway a lad but I do enjoy a bit of "banta" occasionally (god I hate that word!)
I think the thing is you need to know what is a joke and what is not.

I see people who look at girls and start howling and whistling and I just think that they are (Insert offensive word here)

most people I know think this way too and it is a minority that makes the loudest noise, much like people say oh it isn't all muslims dont let that change your judgement on them you need to do the same with boys.

but here is the main thing, I have made jokes about rape, war, violence, women, men and pretty much anything that can be made into a joke, but If I saw a women getting harassed or raped I would not go hah lol rape that is funny I understand the difference between telling a joke about women and hating or beating women and It is something some sad people do not understand on both sides.

Lets take a racist joke I made towards one of my black friends, we were talking about the state of police shootings and the riots and the black people who were shot.

the next lesson he had a ruler in his hand and was talking to me so I made a gun shape with my hands and said YOU HAVE A DEADLY ASSAULT WEAPON PUT IT DOWN. and pretended to shot him when he did nothing, we had a laugh and we just went on.
but if something like this happens in real life I would not take it as a joke.

Making light of stuff is the best thing to do, hey I even make fun of myself and couldn't care less. making a joke about women does not trivialize them it makes any sensible person see that saying oh you should be making a sandwich a JOKE and anyone that actually thinks women should only cook and clean a JOKE too.
Original post by Bornblue
Sorry but why can't a woman be promiscuous? If men sleep around they get called studs, if women do they get called sluts.

Feminism doesn't 'encourage promiscuity', it encourages women to do what they want and not feel bad about it, with regards to sex.
Don't you find it a far healthier attitude when a girl does what she wants and doesn't live under society's expectations that women can't have multiple sexual partners? There's nothing more unattractive as a guy, than a girl who wants to have sex with you but won't because she's scared of being judged for being a slut.
Like men, if they don't want to sleep with anyone that's fine, if they want to sleep with lots of men that's also fine.
I appreciate women are often worse for slut shaming though.

A woman can be promiscuous and most are, more so than men, but that's no men's choice tbh. The whole double standards argument with regards to this needs to be put to rest, because it's not comparing like for like. The social dynamics are different. It's an actual achievement for a guy to sleep around, for a girl it's just a case of letting someone into you. Therefore, the guy gains social value by sleeping with women and the girl loses it. So while women should be (and have been since the 60s) free to do whatever they want sexually , calling them studs wouldn't make any sense what so ever.

Mean while what happens more than women getting called sluts (it's mostly a thing women do to other women anyway) is men getting shamed for NOT sleeping with women. This goes from virgin shaming to the much more acceptable fact that women find men attractive who they perceive to be attractive to other women besides themselves. No one complains about this; it's just female sexual behaviour afterall. So why is the male equivalent; finding women who can be shagged (and from an evolutionary perspective; be made pregnant by) just any man less attractive than more selective women suddenly abhorrent? I do not understand this at all, it's just shaming men for their sexula preferences.
Original post by banterboy
It's an actual achievement for a guy to sleep around, for a girl it's just a case of letting someone into you. Therefore, the guy gains social value by sleeping with women and the girl loses it.

Please tell me you don't actually believe this.
A "lad" is what you become when you don't have what it takes to be a man.
'Ladette' culture is as much of a problem.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Please tell me you don't actually believe this.

It's self evidently the case. Let me guess; you don't go to clubs.
I'd just like to know if there is any proven link between making sexist jokes/rape jokes/racist jokes and actual sexism/rape/racism, cause I'd be willing to bet there isn't. I'm more than happy to admit I've made all sorts of dark jokes of this sort, but I really don't see what the big deal is. I certainly don't condone any of those behaviours, and I highly doubt there has ever been a guy who was completely against sexism and then, by exposure to sexist jokes, was turned into a raving chauvinist.
Is lad culture gone yet? Can I go outside now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mancini
Most of the people who voted for dangerous are probably feminists.

I put lad culture in the same box as rape culture another mythical culture created by feminists for their own agenda.

Feminist thinking goes like this, if it's for males it's bad and if it's for females it's good. Black and white discriminatory thinking.

I'm a feminist i believe in equality lad culture isnt real and rape culture doesnt exist in first world countries in very specific areas of the world it might be common. People may do it because they know they can get away with it but if they couldnt they wouldn't. I believe that women should have the same prison sentences as men and domestic violence against men should be treated the same way as it is with women. If the feminists that you have come across are. Claiming all male relating things are wrong then they arent feminists. Women can do just as much wrong as men. I dont think lad culture can be dangerous so long as respect is retained for both genders. Tbh "lad culture" sounds a lot like peer pressure its up to the individual to participate or not.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Pfft.

Yet another prism through which femininity is defined. Of course, when males criticise femininity in any fashion whatsoever, it's tarnished with the label 'sexist.' When feminists criticise masculinity - and it's all they ever do - it's 'equality' and 'empowering.'

It's the religion of women. It's a misnomer. It worries me that so many people perceive of femininity only in as far as masculinity is 'damaging it.' It's almost as if feminists believe women have no sense of self outside of the confines of masculinity. They proclaim men have to change, or reform, however what feminist has anything to say about femininity which isn't invariably defined through the prism of masculinity or 'patriarchy'?

They infantilise women. Women aren't women until feminists have explained what men do to them, how men hold them back, or what men can and should do for them. They proclaim this is the mark of an 'independent woman', but really this so-called independent woman is nothing, as far as they are concerned, until she has been compared to masculinity.

Why can't they just go it alone and leave men the hell alone?

To some extent its true some women dont realise that men in general arent misogynistic and dont always damage women. I believe in equality wo equal pay a d equal prison sentences etc. Which is what feminism shoukd stand for. Masculinity is just as great as femininity and both are defined depending on the individual. Its a choice to do things like beat women, be sexist etc and those are formed by the individuals experiences in life and their opinions. Im a woman men dont define that...it doesnt mean that i have to scream "sexist" everytime a guy asks me out or trys it on with me, if theyre drunk and theyre rude i'll tell them no and theyre being rude. If they grope me ill tell them to stop if they continue and get agressive then that is the INDIVIDUAL choosing to behave wrongly and its not because they're a man. Ive seen some women behave the same way Nand i fully expect guys to kick up a fuss if they're treated that way. I insist on it tbh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by banterboy
A woman can be promiscuous and most are, more so than men, but that's no men's choice tbh. The whole double standards argument with regards to this needs to be put to rest, because it's not comparing like for like. The social dynamics are different. It's an actual achievement for a guy to sleep around, for a girl it's just a case of letting someone into you. Therefore, the guy gains social value by sleeping with women and the girl loses it. So while women should be (and have been since the 60s) free to do whatever they want sexually , calling them studs wouldn't make any sense what so ever.

Mean while what happens more than women getting called sluts (it's mostly a thing women do to other women anyway) is men getting shamed for NOT sleeping with women. This goes from virgin shaming to the much more acceptable fact that women find men attractive who they perceive to be attractive to other women besides themselves. No one complains about this; it's just female sexual behaviour afterall. So why is the male equivalent; finding women who can be shagged (and from an evolutionary perspective; be made pregnant by) just any man less attractive than more selective women suddenly abhorrent? I do not understand this at all, it's just shaming men for their sexula preferences.

Seriously women need to stop shaming ither women we gain nothing from tearing each other down like that. If a woman gets laid and she enjoyed it good for her. And as for guys if a guys a virgin it shouldnt matter maybe he jst hasnt found a moment that he wanted to yet? Why should he be viewed as less for not sleeping with a woman it doesn't make him less of a man. Men need to stop with that and i personally wouldnt care what other women thought of a guy i was with at the end of the day its me and him that are involved not them
This is stupid. The only thing lad culture harms are women who are afraid of their own shadow.
Lad culture is great fun and men being themselves. It's largely not a real problem. Some people simply disapprove of the behaviour for various reasons. Prudishness, jealousy, their own inability to have such fun, etc. Lad culture is an ultimate expression of freedom among young males and to block it is oppressive. I tend to find it's those disapproving "That's immature" types that don't like it.

However, like anything else lad culture can go too far sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending