neeharika22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys! I'll be in DP next year, and I'm really not sure about what course combinations I should take! These are my choices as of now! My career/university course choice would either be Business or Law so please recommend according to what universities find more impressive. Thank you lots!

HL: Business and Management, Design, Global Politics (or Econs - help me with this)SL: Math, Chinese, Lang Lit
anamariamikhail
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

I take the IB diploma but I take completely different subjects to yours (I'm applying for Physics) . I happen to know people who have applied for Law and a lot of them require HL English and History (esp. History). I'd reckon you're better off switching Design for HL History or English, but that's just my opininon. Check entry requirements for unis that you'd like to attend, they usually put in the subjects that they require.

Hope this helped
nulhill
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think if you want to study either Law or business in uni, econ is a good choice! You can drop design which is less meaningful (compared to econ and politics for your major) and take econ as your 4th subject and politics as your 6th one.
nulhill
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And also, there is a quite different between business and economics. If you want to apply for economics, Maths HL is the best choice! (ps:there are lots of top uni ask maths hl for economics)
Caffe_sean1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I strongly suggest you NOT to study Chinese (mandarin B) SL as it is one of the hardest language subject to get a good score. Lots of students whose native language is Mandarin (or at a near native level) in my school have chosen Mandarin B in order to boost another 7, which potentially lifts up the whole grade boundary and makes it very hard to get a good score.

However, if you don't have another language choice, then you have to study really hard and I should wish you good luck :P

DO GLOBAL POLITICS. You will get bored studying both business and econ.

And, don't you need a group 3 subject?
cmaclennan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just applied to university for law, and have found that many of them don't have subject specific requirements. However, it's normally good for your personal statement and interviews to show why the subjects you picked are a good fit for the course.

I took HL history, english lang/lit and business because I think it illustrates good analysis and critical thinking skills and in business you even study some real life applications for law.

So just have a think about what transferable skills you will get out of the subjects

p.s. at the same time, point score is important! So if you think you can maximize points with a certain subject, that's important to consider too!

Hope this is of some use to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (89)
13.97%
I'm not sure (30)
4.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (201)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.2%
I'm not a current university student (303)
47.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed