The Student Room Group

Insurance: Queen Mary or Sheffield?

Hey everyone, im an international student from hong kong and i've got 2 rejects and 4 offers. I have already visited 3 universities i have interest in going (soas, queen mary, u of sheffield). I like soas the best and have decided to choose it as my firm (offer: A in either Physics/Econ), now im struggling on deciding between queen mary(offer: BB in Physics&Econ) and u of sheffield(offer: B in physics/Econ). i really like central london and would love to go to soas, however, i still have to decide on 1 insurance so im here asking u guys to help me out. i also have 1 extra quention and that is if i do slip my firm offer but still meet my insurance offer, would i be able to decline my offer and go thru clearing?
Reply 1
Sheffield would be cheaper. But when you are in London there are more opportunites for you.
Reply 2
However Queen Mary is worse than Sheffirld if you look on the league tables, don't rely on this University of London rubbish!
Reply 3
Sheffield for sure. It's a better university and a nicer place to be a student.
Reply 4
dimnight
i also have 1 extra quention and that is if i do slip my firm offer but still meet my insurance offer, would i be able to decline my offer and go thru clearing?

There is no way you can go through clearing once you have confirmed your firm and insurance. The confirmation of those places are binding, therefore if you miss your firm offer, you are bound to go to your insurance. The only way you can go into clearing is if you (a) get rejected from all 6 univerisites you have applied to or (b) miss both your offer and insurance offers.

Besides if you think about it, by the time you are aware if you miss your firm's offer or not, it will already be August, and the chance of getting offers from universities better then Sheffield and Queen Mary is veryyy slim.

So my suggestion to you, dimnight, is that you choose your firm and insurance very carefully and be certain that you would be happy with going to either those universities.

Hope this sheds some light. :smile:
pingwe
There is no way you can go through clearing once you have confirmed your firm and insurance. The confirmation of those places are binding, therefore if you miss your firm offer, you are bound to go to your insurance. The only way you can go into clearing is if you (a) get rejected from all 6 univerisites you have applied to or (b) miss both your offer and insurance offers.

Besides if you think about it, by the time you are aware if you miss your firm's offer or not, it will already be August, and the chance of getting offers from universities better then Sheffield and Queen Mary is veryyy slim.

So my suggestion to you, dimnight, is that you choose your firm and insurance very carefully and be certain that you would be happy with going to either those universities.

Hope this sheds some light. :smile:

You can actually asked to be released from you insurance but if you miss your firm...you won't find necessarily better than your insurance in clearing.
Reply 6
Dark and Lovely
You can actually asked to be released from you insurance but if you miss your firm...you won't find necessarily better than your insurance in clearing.

Really? My senior dean made it explicitly clear to me that you couldn't do that. Good thing Dark and Lovely picked it up and has more knowledge in that field then I. No matter, apologies to the OP if I had misled you in that statement.
pingwe
Really? My senior dean made it explicitly clear to me that you couldn't do that. Good thing Dark and Lovely picked it up and has more knowledge in that field then I. No matter, apologies to the OP if I had misled you in that statement.

You can :wink: but very true, unlikely to be better off. And btw, QM does have an extremely good law school. the grade req has increased also.
Course you can... for two reasons:

any contract can be got rid of mutually
they are unlikely to try to force you to go there when you don't even want to. It would be a waste of their time and would be bad publicity.

Latest

Trending

Trending