Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    please pulling my hair out, need to know the right calculation for how much volume needed for titration of 25cm3 of vinegar

ReputationRep:
    Gonna need a lot more information than what you've given. The values you already have determine what calculations you need to do, so without sufficient values for reactants, products, etc. nobody can help you.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that, done an experiment, the aim was to find out how much volume is required of NaoH to neutralise vinegar the final burette reading for fourth titration was 43.00cm3 and the vol of sodium hydroxide taken was 21.00cm3. I calculated the average titre, then the number of moles that reacted, i'm i wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharan laird)
    Sorry about that, done an experiment, the aim was to find out how much volume is required of NaoH to neutralise vinegar the final burette reading for fourth titration was 43.00cm3 and the vol of sodium hydroxide taken was 21.00cm3. I calculated the average titre, then the number of moles that reacted, i'm i wrong?
    OK then, that's better. If you want to find out the volume of sodium hydroxide needed, then you're going to need to know 2 of 3 of these values: Moles, volume and concentration. Since you're finding volume, you'll need moles and concentration. I'll assume that vinegar was in your burette, and you can record how much vinegar you used in DECImetres. Take that value and it's concentration (which you should already know) and multiply the two together to find your molar value. Assuming it's a 1:1 molar equation, you'll have the same number of moles of sodium hydroxide used. Divide that molar number by the concentration (which you should have also measured, and is usually done as 1moldm^-3) and then you'll have your volume in decimetres. Besides you having given me extra information, it's still not enough. You NEED to know the concentration numbers of your reactants. The vinegar concentration should also be given, and you can check yourself what the concentration of the other reactant is because you made it by mixing a specific mass in grams with enough distilled water to make a specific moldm^-3 solution.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a million, have to e-mail this tonight, just stuck at the last part the reactant was the vinegar and the base NaOH.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a million, have to e-mail this tonight, just stuck at the last part the reactant was the vinegar and the base NaOH.
    The vinegar concentration was 25cm3, but what other reactants. This is my first titration and has gave me a big headache.

ReputationRep:
    The vinegar concentration was 25cm3, but what other reactants. This is my first titration and has gave me a big headache.
    When I say reactants, I mean the two things mixing together to give your product. So, in this reaction, you're technically reacting sodium hydroxide and vinegar, so NaOH is your other reactant because you're mixing them to neutralise. You can draw up a table of information to keep track of your reactant values that you've recorded, and can link the information from one to another to develop a better understanding of what information goes with what.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, had lots of different reports to do and the one i'm having trouble with is the breaking down of lipids in milk using lipase. Four test-tubes had different concentrations of lipase 0.5%, 1%, 2.5%, and 5%, in 5% milk. After 40min in water bath at room temp the low pH was 5.33, 5.29, 5.28, 5.20 and 6.5. Before waterbath the high pH was 6.3, 6.2,6,5.84,6.5. Why would results be unexpected and what could be done to make experiment more reliable. thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.