Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many years SF do you get. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If I were to do one full year at a university. Then drop out.

Then apply to universities.

And then complete a three year course.

Would student finance fund me for all four years?

ReputationRep:
    That would be fine. The calculation is:

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

For the purposes of the calculation, partial years are counted as complete.

This gives you 3-1+1=3 years of SF entitlement remaining, so you will get funding throughout your second attempt. Everyone gets a "grace" year of funding, in case they start out on the wrong degree. However, you need to make sure you pass each year first time - if you had to retake a year, you would have to fund that yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

This gives you 3-1+1=3 years of SF entitlement remaining, so you will get funding throughout your second attempt. Everyone gets a "grace" year of funding, in case they start out on the wrong degree. However, you need to make sure you pass each year first time - if you had to retake a year, you would have to fund that yourself.
    If I'm doing a degree with foundation (so 4 years in total) but in my second year wanted to transfer to the integrated masters MEng, would student finance fund me for that? So you're talking 5 years in total

ReputationRep:

Thank you very much for the reply. That is good.

Can I ask you, how does funding for masters/phd work.

And also I take it that if that hapens I would have to pay 36k right?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    Thank you very much for the reply. That is good.

Can I ask you, how does funding for masters/phd work.

And also I take it that if that hapens I would have to pay 36k right?

Thank you.
    At present there is no funding for a Masters unless it is an "integrated" Masters (i.e. Part of an extended undergrad degree which still gets SF funding, or you can get some sort of uni-specific funding like a bursary or scholarship. The latter are pretty rare, but some unis offer discounts to undergrad alumni. My undergrad uni gave a 20% fee reduction to those who stayed on or went back for a Masters, with an extea 5% discount if you paid th entire year's fees up front.

The givernment were discussing a SF-style loan for Masters courses starting in 2016. However they are *still* talking about it and nothing has been decided. It feels like it might not happen.

PhD funding is different again. The most common type is a funded PhD, which is effectively like applying for a job. Any kind of PhD funding us very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    At present there is no funding for a Masters unless it is an "integrated" Masters (i.e. Part of an extended undergrad degree which still gets SF funding, or you can get some sort of uni-specific funding like a bursary or scholarship. The latter are pretty rare, but some unis offer discounts to undergrad alumni. My undergrad uni gave a 20% fee reduction to those who stayed on or went back for a Masters, with an extea 5% discount if you paid th entire year's fees up front.

The givernment were discussing a SF-style loan for Masters courses starting in 2016. However they are *still* talking about it and nothing has been decided. It feels like it might not happen.

PhD funding is different again. The most common type is a funded PhD, which is effectively like applying for a job. Any kind of PhD funding us very competitive.
    Thank you for the information.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.