Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have applied to Durham University to study biology, however, virtually everyone that I have asked say it is full of "Oxbridge drop outs"… I have not yet visited the university but this fairly popular view on its reputation is quite annoying. Any comments?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say 'Oxbridge dropouts'. It is fairly common in the higher courses with higher grade entries that people have not got an offer from the Oxbridge universities, but for some courses the entry requirements aren't the high. So 'oxbridge rejects' some may be, but it is still a top 5 UK university for most courses, so don't let that put you off.

ReputationRep:
    Well, would you prefer to apply to a university where no one dared apply to Oxbridge because their grades were't high enough?

Durham is a top top uni.
    The people who go there are extremely high achieving, so yes of course they have applied to Oxbridge.

The same could be said of any of the best universities in the UK.

But it could never be said of some other universities....

work out for yourself whether that's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is a top univeristy, and students who apply to top universities often apply to Oxbridge. Naturally enough oxbridge is most peoples top choices

But Durham is lovely. Excellent academically, plus a college system which is friendly and welcoming, lots of student support, great library, charming town...

Im sure you will enjoy your time

Like anywhere, there is a mix of people

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.