Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for Biochemistry, any comments/suggestions? watch

ReputationRep:
    Course: Biochemistry
    Universities: Queen Mary, UCL, Imperial, Bristol (thinking of a 5th one, any suggestions?)
    GCSE grades: 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
    AS grades (achieved): Chem (A), Maths (B), Philosophy and Ethics (A), Bio (B)
    A2 grades (predicted): Chem(A, trying to get it to an A*), Maths (A), Philosophy and ethics (A*)I MIGHT DO AS AND A2 URDU AS WELL, as I have been a native speaker for around 14 years!
    Extra curricular: badminton, table tennis, tennis, bollywood dancing, reading books
    Other: work experience at a care home for 2 weeks (learnt about drug confidentiality and ethics involved in the medical world), volunteering at the centre of the cell (scientific setting), volunteered for Cancer Research UK (spread awareness about breast cancer, hand out leaflets)ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine98)
    Course: Biochemistry
    Universities: Queen Mary, UCL, Imperial, Bristol (thinking of a 5th one, any suggestions?)
    GCSE grades: 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
    AS grades (achieved): Chem (A), Maths (B), Philosophy and Ethics (A), Bio (B)
    A2 grades (predicted): Chem(A, trying to get it to an A*), Maths (A), Philosophy and ethics (A*)I MIGHT DO AS AND A2 URDU AS WELL, as I have been a native speaker for around 14 years!
    Extra curricular: badminton, table tennis, tennis, bollywood dancing, reading books
    Other: work experience at a care home for 2 weeks (learnt about drug confidentiality and ethics involved in the medical world), volunteering at the centre of the cell (scientific setting), volunteered for Cancer Research UK (spread awareness about breast cancer, hand out leaflets)ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED! Thanks
    my immediate concern is your dropping biology at a level but want to do biochemistry for a degree. If I was an admissions tutor that would concern me greatly. also your best subject is a humanities subject. I really don't know what to advise you other than UCL Imperial and Bristol are really competitive. I would strongly look at a less competitive uni for your 5th choice in case you get rejected by these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    my immediate concern is your dropping biology at a level but want to do biochemistry for a degree. If I was an admissions tutor that would concern me greatly. also your best subject is a humanities subject. I really don't know what to advise you other than UCL Imperial and Bristol are really competitive. I would strongly look at a less competitive uni for your 5th choice in case you get rejected by these.
    Yes but the universities I looked at DO NOT require A level Biology, which is why I opted for these. I will take your points into consideration as they are sensible. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You should have done bio, its full of biochem but you will be ok with just chem. If all goes tits up look out for related subjects eg pharmacology, molecular biology etc in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earthworm)
    You should have done bio, its full of biochem but you will be ok with just chem. If all goes tits up look out for related ubjects eg pharmacology, molecular biology etc in clearing.
    I agree totally with this. were you doing straight chemistry it wouldn't be a problem. had you not started biology it probably wouldn't have mattered. starting biology then dropping it and wanting to take a degree subject involving it looks odd to an outsider. what I cannot predict is how the admissions tutors will look on it which is why I suggested looking for a lower graded uni to cover these very competeive unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    I agree totally with this. were you doing straight chemistry it wouldn't be a problem. had you not started biology it probably wouldn't have mattered. starting biology then dropping it and wanting to take a degree subject involving it looks odd to an outsider. what I cannot predict is how the admissions tutors will look on it which is why I suggested looking for a lower graded uni to cover these very competeive unis.
    This si really concerning, I didn't even think about that but neither have my teachers said anything about it. :confused::confused::confused::eek::cry2::dong::dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine98)
    This si really concerning, I didn't even think about that but neither have my teachers said anything about it. :confused::confused::confused::eek::cry2::dong::dontknow:
    Yeah byt they each have dozens of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nununu)
    Yeah byt they each have dozens of students.
    True, I'll think about it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.