Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wrote a piece of work for a draft of my Spanish coursework. I spent a lot of time in it, as I pride myself in my ability of learning languages (also taking GCSE French). Today when I walked into the classroom, my teacher accused me of using a translator, which I denied. She then stated that she didn't mark it because it wasn't 'my work'. I was so offended, especially after all the hard work I put into it. The teacher was so condescending for the remainder of the lesson, using my work in her examples in basically saying 'We can add the extended bits after we've done the basics' and that I like adding the extended bits. It was so patronising. The thing is, I didn't use a translator, I simply used Word Reference, for CERTAIN words, as advised as a good website to use by my French teacher. The rest of the work was all we have done in class mixed with my own knowledge. It is not as though it is out of character for me to try and excel myself, I always put 100% effort into class discussions too. Honestly, the way I see it is that I've been seen as not intelligent enough to have wrote something of that standard, myself. I was so, so proud of the piece I wrote, now she completely ruined it. I am planning on getting the opinion of another teacher on my work to see if they think it is written using a translator, if she agrees it is my work I will be asking to move classes, even if that means moving down to the second set. Am I over reacting? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JB070)
    I wrote a piece of work for a draft of my Spanish coursework. I spent a lot of time in it, as I pride myself in my ability of learning languages (also taking GCSE French). Today when I walked into the classroom, my teacher accused me of using a translator, which I denied. She then stated that she didn't mark it because it wasn't 'my work'. I was so offended, especially after all the hard work I put into it. The teacher was so condescending for the remainder of the lesson, using my work in her examples in basically saying 'We can add the extended bits after we've done the basics' and that I like adding the extended bits. It was so patronising. The thing is, I didn't use a translator, I simply used Word Reference, for CERTAIN words, as advised as a good website to use by my French teacher. The rest of the work was all we have done in class mixed with my own knowledge. It is not as though it is out of character for me to try and excel myself, I always put 100% effort into class discussions too. Honestly, the way I see it is that I've been seen as not intelligent enough to have wrote something of that standard, myself. I was so, so proud of the piece I wrote, now she completely ruined it. I am planning on getting the opinion of another teacher on my work to see if they think it is written using a translator, if she agrees it is my work I will be asking to move classes, even if that means moving down to the second set. Am I over reacting? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    This is a real shame; I am sorry to hear of your experience. Just move on, get your GCSEs and prove the ******* wrong. You seem hard working and fairly intelligent - reflect this in your mocks and, more importantly, the real GCSE examinations!

Don't lose momentum in your studies is all I am saying, in fact, use the idiot's stupidity as motivation, build on it and make a big thing - give her a bad name - when you're older.

I wish you all the best in your GCSEs (I am also in Year 11, so it is disappointing to hear about your situation and I fully sympathise with you).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyGCSESubjects)
    This is a real shame; I am sorry to hear of your experience. Just move on, get your GCSEs and prove the ******* wrong. You seem hard working and fairly intelligent - reflect this in your mocks and, more importantly, the real GCSE examinations!

Don't lose momentum in your studies is all I am saying, in fact, use the idiot's stupidity as motivation, build on it and make a big thing - give her a bad name - when you're older.

I wish you all the best in your GCSEs (I am also in Year 11, so it is disappointing to hear about your situation and I fully sympathise with you).
    Thank you so much! Made me feel a lot better!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ok this sound like she is extremely out of place, i take french, i use the internet to do what you do as well to help me write out my first draft, i also use all the booklets the teacher gives me. After my first draft, my teacher correct the grammar etc and then i go off to learn it OFF BY HEART, because i cant take it in with me when im doing the assessment in class. im not sure about the system of how your school do course work but thats how it works in my school.

unless it really do sound like google translate where grammar is terrible etc, are you sure you've tried with grammar and not make it sound completely awkward and like a piece of text that anyone could have written using a dictionary and the knowledge of english grammar?

sorry for doubting you, but thats the possibility, if she disregard it because she thinks it's too good for your ability or whatever your predicted grade is then she is abosutely stupid and unfair, predicted grades are nothing tbh and you should definitely see the head of languages about this

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.