Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to get 4 As at AS Level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently in Year 12 and my current goal is to achieve 4 As at AS Level.
    I was wondering if people on here could perhaps offer me their revision tips that helped them achieve As as AS Level?

My subjects are History, English Literature, Sociology & Biology. At the moment, Sociology is my favourite and the one I'm best at, and History is my least favourite and the one I'm struggling most with.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 and going on to study history at uni with a view to eventually go on to a phd. I also take English literature and got 100% in that at AS so hope I can be of some help. With these two subjects exam technique is key. I struggled with history exam technique and i'd recommend doing tonnes of past papers to get you into the motion of answering them. Linking between factors and causes is a really effective way as is using counter arguments to set up your introductions. The same goes for English - make sure you know exactly what each question requires i.e. if a section B question is focussed on alternative readings of texts don't bore the examiner to death with historical context or structure, language etc.

dates are massively important for history also so make sure you have timelines and flashcards with dates that you know off by heart.

ReputationRep:
    im doing biology,chemistry,psychology and english literature.. i learn stuff easily and quickly but i an bad at applying knowledge, any advice..

ReputationRep:
    AS is rather tricky to achieve so highly in. Those getting 4 As are in a small minority so the best bit of advice is to not really worry about the results at the end. The easiest way to cope is through dealing with the subjects as they come. It's great to be ambitious but wanting a grade isn't the same as getting it. I'm sure you already know how to get the grades you want because it's probably been repeated on this forum a few thousand times! Put in time and effort now so your revision is more structured towards exam time, and always ask for feedback from your teachers. Especially with stuff like History, if you're making the same mistakes from the start of the year to the end of the year then it's probably not a good sign! I have no doubt that you know exactly how to get what you want, just make sure to work for it. Hats off to you for asking though! Asking how to improve is fantastic so long as you don't compare yourselves to others. I'm often put down by seeing people on TSR who are doing better than I am, so you have to remember that whatever happens, never judge your own success on the achievements of other people. Yep that was deep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mughushed)
    Hello, I'm currently in Year 12 and my current goal is to achieve 4 As at AS Level.
    I was wondering if people on here could perhaps offer me their revision tips that helped them achieve As as AS Level?

My subjects are History, English Literature, Sociology & Biology. At the moment, Sociology is my favourite and the one I'm best at, and History is my least favourite and the one I'm struggling most with.

Thanks!
    I got 4 As at AS in English lit, history, geography and philosophy (average UMS 96.7%). All I can say is... REVISE. Seriously. I started revision in October and didn't stop until the exams were over. If you start early you will know your stuff by the time it comes to sitting the exams.

Oh and in English: don't mess up the coursework. Those are meant to be easy marks and if you do worse than expected like I did then you will have to do extra well in the exam to achieve high UMS overall.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 now, and I achieved 3 A's at AS and my advice is purely to revise revise revise, I started full revision in January and didn't stop until June when my exams were over, also past papers are crucial (especially for biology) its great knowing the information but if you can't answer the questions with the correct technique then whats the point? good luck

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.