Turn on thread page Beta

Why I think it is a stupid idea to raise the minimum wage watch

ReputationRep:
    Now, we have been seeing talks of a living wage, and how it would help to get people out of poverty, but hows does it get people out of poverty, when the lowest of set wages cannot even run in the same pace at the rate of future general inflation?
    It is stupid to even class it as a living wage, as I would not class anything that is below 10 pounds an hour as a living wage for a independent single person.
    And hopefully the rest of tsr would agree with me.

ReputationRep:
    Lowering it would at least get the chavs in to the jobs they should be doing in Costa Coffee instead of half of Poland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saftvare Jarb)
    Lowering it would at least get the chavs in to the jobs they should be doing in Costa Coffee instead of half of Poland.
    Those people will always be unemployable,as they're not a threat, but to the people that think raising the minimum age without thinking about the potential consequences are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    The relationship between increased youth unemployment and increased minimum wage is fairly weak when compared to our international peers (Germany has had a de facto minimum wage in excess of the UK yet far lower youth unemployment), this is the case with some other nations. In addition, listed firms have seen real profits and cash reserves rise at a far faster pace than real wages so the argument they don't have the money is void.

With regards to your OP i actually disagree. The living wage contains a set of assumptions that are not required, it is a relaxed estimate as opposed to what you need to actually survive. I can assure you that i'd be fine on the living wage. Also it does beat CPI.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.