Why I think it is a stupid idea to raise the minimum wage

Watch
Blue_Mason
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Now, we have been seeing talks of a living wage, and how it would help to get people out of poverty, but hows does it get people out of poverty, when the lowest of set wages cannot even run in the same pace at the rate of future general inflation?
It is stupid to even class it as a living wage, as I would not class anything that is below 10 pounds an hour as a living wage for a independent single person.
And hopefully the rest of tsr would agree with me.
Saftvare Jarb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lowering it would at least get the chavs in to the jobs they should be doing in Costa Coffee instead of half of Poland.
Blue_Mason
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Saftvare Jarb)
Lowering it would at least get the chavs in to the jobs they should be doing in Costa Coffee instead of half of Poland.
Those people will always be unemployable,as they're not a threat, but to the people that think raising the minimum age without thinking about the potential consequences are idiots.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The relationship between increased youth unemployment and increased minimum wage is fairly weak when compared to our international peers (Germany has had a de facto minimum wage in excess of the UK yet far lower youth unemployment), this is the case with some other nations. In addition, listed firms have seen real profits and cash reserves rise at a far faster pace than real wages so the argument they don't have the money is void.

With regards to your OP i actually disagree. The living wage contains a set of assumptions that are not required, it is a relaxed estimate as opposed to what you need to actually survive. I can assure you that i'd be fine on the living wage. Also it does beat CPI.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (155)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (462)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (351)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (437)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (148)
4.72%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
5.99%
Loneliness (270)
8.61%
Financial worries (113)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (126)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (142)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (171)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (279)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (295)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed