The Student Room Group

What degree for Graduate Entry Medicine...?

Currently in sixth form and taking non-science A Levels; doing English Lit, Philosophy, ICT and General Studies, but interested in possibly doing Medicine in the future.

The following universities consider applicants whom have (or predicted to obtain)
a 2:1 degree of ANY discipline (does NOT have to be science based):
Warwick, Swansea, Uni of Nottingham and Newcastle.

Any suggestions as to what first undergraduate degree I should consider?
English perhaps? The University of Liverpool offer some BSc degree that have no specific subject requirement besides ABB at A Level, such as Evolutionary Anthropology.

Many thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Biochemistry/biomedical science etc. This will make you eligible to apply to more GEM courses (if they're still around in 3 years...)
Original post by liam__
Biochemistry/biomedical science etc. This will make you eligible to apply to more GEM courses (if they're still around in 3 years...)

For those degrees you need science (Biology and Chemistry) at A Level.
Am I doing those? No.
Maybe an IT or philosophy degree? I'd say whichever subject you're enjoying most at the moment :smile:
Original post by JessThomas6
Maybe an IT or philosophy degree? I'd say whichever subject you're enjoying most at the moment :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by maggiedavies
Currently in sixth form and taking non-science A Levels; doing English Lit, Philosophy, ICT and General Studies, but interested in possibly doing Medicine in the future.

The following universities consider applicants whom have (or predicted to obtain)

English perhaps? The University of Liverpool offer some BSc degree that have no specific subject requirement besides ABB at A Level, such as Evolutionary Anthropology.

Many thanks in advance!

Figure out if you want to do medicine or not, if you do, apply for a foundation degree:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

Many thanks in advance!

Check out foundation courses - these do not require you to take science a level but you can still do medicine.
Check out Cardiff, Manchester and Sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Check out foundation courses - these do not require you to take science a level but you can still do medicine.
Check out Cardiff, Manchester and Sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Democracy
Figure out if you want to do medicine or not, if you do, apply for a foundation degree:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

The only foundation degree I meet the requirements for is Dundee University; as most other require 6 A or A* grades at GCSE, and/or GCSE Maths grade B, and/or science A Levels which I do not have. Thanks for answering!
The only foundation degree I meet the requirements for is Dundee University; as most other require 6 A or A* grades at GCSE, and/or GCSE Maths grade B, and/or science A Levels which I do not have. Thanks for answering!

Not really

Check out:
Cardiff medical course with preliminary year. It says nothing about GCSEs.
Also check out Sheffield. They need 6 A grades at gcse but for English and maths- they'd like a C.
I don't think you've researched enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Not really

Check out:
Cardiff medical course with preliminary year. It says nothing about GCSEs.
Also check out Sheffield. They need 6 A grades at gcse but for English and maths- they'd like a C.
I don't think you've researched enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Mathematics (minimum grade B) and Sciences. Please note that a minimum of at least five A*’s is normally required to progress through the admissions process."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs
"Mathematics (minimum grade B) and Sciences. Please note that a minimum of at least five A*’s is normally required to progress through the admissions process."

Ooh okay
I didn't check that out however, I do suggest you call because the page may be outdated.
Additionally, I suggest you apply to Dundee.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__

So far it seems they will most likely always be around - but most likely be prolonged to 5 years rather than 4 :frown:
You also have to consider whether GEM courses are going to be financially viable if the new junior contract comes in. With the new loans (replacing maintenance grants) you'll end up with at least £17k of debt per year just for your undergrad and then another 4-5 years on top if you pursue GEM.

I do think financial security is something all future med students should consider now. Its not as secure a financial future as it used to be. (And before you say its not about the money, it should be a consideration if its going to affect your ability to get a mortgage/survive comfortably etc and who wants to come out with 100k of debt?).
Original post by ForestCat
You also have to consider whether GEM courses are going to be financially viable if the new junior contract comes in. With the new loans (replacing maintenance grants) you'll end up with at least £17k of debt per year just for your undergrad and then another 4-5 years on top if you pursue GEM.

I do think financial security is something all future med students should consider now. Its not as secure a financial future as it used to be. (And before you say its not about the money, it should be a consideration if its going to affect your ability to get a mortgage/survive comfortably etc and who wants to come out with 100k of debt?).

Despite the fact that finances has pretty much nothing to do with my question:
The government's Student Finance will cover the first undergraduate degree;
and then a personal loan will cover the tuition costs of GED; but I plan on taking a gap year (or 2...) in between to hopefully find a small job to earn some money for a while + doing some volunteering/work experience etc.
Original post by Bloom77
Ooh okay
I didn't check that out however, I do suggest you call because the page may be outdated.
Additionally, I suggest you apply to Dundee.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your input.
Despite the fact that finances has pretty much nothing to do with my question:
The government's Student Finance will cover the first undergraduate degree;
and then a personal loan will cover the tuition costs of GED; but I plan on taking a gap year (or 2...) in between to hopefully find a small job to earn some money for a while + doing some volunteering/work experience etc.

The fact that you are planning on doing GEM already I do think it is wise to consider the financial implications (when the financial future of being a Dr is looking very precarious). Foundation courses would be a much more sensible option than GEM courses.
Reply 16
For those degrees you need science (Biology and Chemistry) at A Level.
Am I doing those? No.

Wrong. There are some GEM courses that will accept certain degrees in lieu of the correct A-Levels. You need to some more research and stop being so rude.
Original post by ForestCat
The fact that you are planning on doing GEM already I do think it is wise to consider the financial implications (when the financial future of being a Dr is looking very precarious). Foundation courses would be a much more sensible option than GEM courses.

Interesting point.
What is your current opinion on the financial viability of GEM?

That's not true. In fact, most foundation medicine courses specifically require that you don't have more than one science subject A Level because otherwise people would treat it as an alternative to the normal route and that's not the kind of people it's meant for. You will, however, need the same grades as normal medicine at that university. For instance, if you were applying to Cardiff's foundation course, you'd need AAA at A Level with no more than one science subject.
Original post by hellodave5
Interesting point.
What is your current opinion on the financial viability of GEM?

I wouldn't take on £51k of debt by doing an undergrad degree now purely to try for GEM.

People have this impression that student loans almost don't exist. They'll be written off after 25 years right, so who cares? You'll never pay it off, so its fine.
But thats 25 years of having money withdrawn from every paycheck. And although they don't take huge amounts each time, it all adds up. And who is to say they won't increase the percentage of your paycheck that they take each month.

Add to that the fact the that current (and likely future government) don't want to pay Doctors any more than pennies and you're looking at a poor financial future. Thanks to previous over lending banks are now more cautious. They look at all debt when issuing mortgages, including student loans. Who is going to issue a mortgage to someone with 100k of student debt and a piss poor wage in the NHS?

Myself and current GEM students have pondered whether we would still do it, if we knew about junior contracts and it is certainly something that makes us think.

Like I've said, its not about being in Medicine for the money. But its not a financially secure degree any more, especially when you look at how much you pay to get the degree.

Quick Reply

Latest