Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    on my reference my teacher called me "quiet and self-motivated"
    Is that a good thing?

I know I'm quiet and get on with my work but will unis like that? or should he take the quiet bit out because it makes me look bad (I'm not sure if it does)
    thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PINKFLEUR)
    on my reference my teacher called me "quiet and self-motivated"
    Is that a good thing?

I know I'm quiet and get on with my work but will unis like that? or should he take the quiet bit out because it makes me look bad (I'm not sure if it does)
    thanks
    Self motivated is certainly a good thing for university study, i wouldnt say quiet was a good or bad thing really

ReputationRep:
    Commenting because I'm curious - my friend and I both got called quiet too, though it wasn't so important to my reference because it was balanced out by my subject teachers' specific praise of my contributions to class discussion. On the other hand in her case it was actually mentioned twice, so she asked for one of those to be removed. I'm curious as to what the consensus is!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what your reference says? Is it on the UCAS track thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by four4)
    How do you know what your reference says? Is it on the UCAS track thing?
    Teachers in my school read it out before it gets sent off, inc ase there is anything u want to add or take out

(Original post by AithyTilly)
    Commenting because I'm curious - my friend and I both got called quiet too, though it wasn't so important to my reference because it was balanced out by my subject teachers' specific praise of my contributions to class discussion. On the other hand in her case it was actually mentioned twice, so she asked for one of those to be removed. I'm curious as to what the consensus is!

Haha yes! My teachers said I was great an group as well as individual work but the repetition of quiet elsewhere is haunting me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Self motivated is certainly a good thing for university study, i wouldnt say quiet was a good or bad thing really
    hi,

don't unis want buzzing people who are always jumpy and confident enough to ask questions? being quiet in a competitive process seems like a negative trait imo
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PINKFLEUR)
    Teachers in my school read it out before it gets sent off, inc ase there is anything u want to add or take out

hi,

don't unis want buzzing people who are always jumpy and confident enough to ask questions? being quiet in a competitive process seems like a negative trait imo
    Personally, having being described as quiet myself when I was younger, as long as you answer questions and when you do speak its something that is clearly well thought out i really dont see the problem with it. Everybody cant all be super jumpy people after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Personally, having being described as quiet myself when I was younger, as long as you answer questions and when you do speak its something that is clearly well thought out i really dont see the problem with it. Everybody cant all be super jumpy people after all
    I have literally just sent him an email about it, but this has made my mind feel at so much ease thank you!

I'm just worried because we have a group project in my course, and its so important that my teamwork skills are emphasised as much as my group work skills, and this is only spoken about in one subject ;(

Being quiet is one thing, but being stubborn enough to not settle for what my teachers say is a trait I'm bound to! haha

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.