Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    ISIS In "Retreat" As Russia Destroys 32 Targets While Putin Trolls Obama As "Weak With No Strategy"

Perhaps the most amusing thing about Russia’s intervention in Syria is the degree to which it made the world wake up and question the West’s “anti-ISIS” strategy.

While everyone has been quick to characterize Moscow’s actions as the latest and perhaps greatest example of Vladimir Putin calling Washington’s bluff, it’s important to understand exactly why that’s an accurate characterization here. That is, this is more than just Moscow betting it could support Assad and Washington would simply move out of the way.

This was Russia and Iran realizing that the only reason the US and its regional allies have been able to keep up appearances in the eyes of the public with regard to the “campaign” against ISIS, is because the public has never seen what happens when someone powerful makes a serious effort to eradicate the group. Once Russia moved in, gave the superpower greenlight for Iran to abandon all pretense that it isn’t also directly involved, and began racking up gains in a matter of days, the Western public was left to wonder why the US couldn’t accomplish in 13 months what Russia appeared to have accomplished in a matter of (literally) 72 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPnRwGIsdjA

Read More:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-1...ak-no-strategy

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash24411)
    Brilliant.
    You support Russia?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    You support Russia?

ReputationRep:
    This is all just wrong. ISIS is not "in retreat" as the article says, and it has not lost any meaningful territory in Syria since Russia's intervention started. The ISIS frontline with the Syrian government is pretty much unchanged from where it was 2 to 3 weeks ago. Russia's intervention has yet to achieve anything against ISIS in terms of towns and territory recaptured.

I'm getting a bit sick of this conspiracy theorist stuff about Russia's intervention in Syria. It's usually exaggerated and/or inaccurate, and this case is no exception.

Here are some maps which I think might be beneficial
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Syria map of control for 30th September

Map for 16th October

The Wikipedia source for this file (look down the list for previous updates)

A more detailed version which is constantly updated and shows the current situation, from which the other maps are derived (again from Wikipedia, but the map is mostly accurate)

Wikipedia page for the Syrian Civil War

ReputationRep:
    Not as many black dots as red ones.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    I thought Russia is NATO enemy or are you Russian?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I thought Russia is NATO enemy or are you Russian?
    I am British.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahah say wallah?

ReputationRep:
    You support Russia?
    Well if they're kicking ISIS ass....yep. What's not to like?

ReputationRep:
    eyyyy Go Russia :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oli T-H)
    Well if they're kicking ISIS ass....yep. What's not to like?
    I don't support none of them not my battle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by versari)
    Not as many black dots as red ones.....
    You're probably right. That's because ISIS is strongest in Eastern Syria, which isn't as densely populated as other areas. The Syrian government territory includes the area where the majority of Syrians live, and includes most of the provincial capitals. But that hasn't changed since Russia began its intervention. Also note that ISIS controls a lot of desert areas.

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    I'm backing Russia on this!

The US-led coalition hasn't done much tbf.
    The US led coalition has driven ISIS out of some areas of Syria, all of it in the Kurdish areas. See ISIS' failed attack on Kobane last autumn-winter. In June, ISIS was driven out of a big strip of the Turkish border around Tall Abyad (including a key supply line to Raqqa) by the Kurdish YPG. ISIS also attacked Hassakeh city over the summer, an attack driven back by the YPG under US coalition air cover. The US coalition deserves criticism in some areas, but to say that it "hasn't done much" is just not true.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support none of them not my battle
    kinda think your view might change if its one of your friends or family murdered by ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by versari)
    kinda think your view might change if its one of your friends or family murdered by ISIS.
    I could say the same about Russia or NATO also.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Amazing Russia can manage this when the vast majority of their airstrikes have not been against ISIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Amazing Russia can manage this when the vast majority of their airstrikes have not been against ISIS

But many are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    [SIZE=4]x
    Reality is actually to the contrary of what pro russian writers would like us to believe.
    Isis have actually gained ground and territory since russia has been too busy bombing civilians and rebels in their unashamed attempt of propping up the failed regime of assad.
    So isis are actually benefiting from their involvement.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.