Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

My name is Florence and i want to study medicine period. However my GCSE grades have REALLY let me down. I achieved:

Maths:B
    English:B
    Biology: C
    Chemistry: B
    Physics: B
    Textiles: A*
    Business studies:B
    History: B
    Philosophy and Ethics: A
    Drama: B
    For a level i study: Biology, chemistry, maths and philosophy and ethics

I am already in the process of retaking my Biology GCSE to meet the B requirement of most university for the medicine degree. However i am really focusing on alternative routes to the medicine.(Me studying abroad is very slim).
    I need some more information about:
    -The clinical sciences leading to a transfer to medicine in Bedford-Leeds
    - If Medipathway is a good option to have.
    - What type of scenarios apply to people of a disadvantage background.

And lastly your advice.

Thanks xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamflorence)
    Hi guys,

My name is Florence and i want to study medicine period. However my GCSE grades have REALLY let me down. I achieved:

I am already in the process of retaking my Biology GCSE to meet the B requirement of most university for the medicine degree. However i am really focusing on alternative routes to the medicine.(Me studying abroad is very slim).

And lastly your advice.

Thanks xox
    Apply for a medicine course with a foundation year, this is what I would do if I want to go the medicine route not because I have bad grades but I'm not doing Chemistry. Just really focus on your A-levels and you should still have a chance!

ReputationRep:
    But i thought foundation medicine is for those who have no science alevel, how can i apply when i have taken chemistry AND biology?
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Apply for a medicine course with a foundation year, this is what I would do if I want to go the medicine route not because I have bad grades but I'm not doing Chemistry. Just really focus on your A-levels and you should still have a chance!

ReputationRep:
    But i thought foundation medicine is for those who have no science alevel, how can i apply when i have taken chemistry AND biology?
    I read somewhere it depends which uni you apply to. I think Kings would still accept you?

ReputationRep:
    Why would they accept me sorry and thanks. Do you by any chance know what disadvantage background means?
    I read somewhere it depends which uni you apply to. I think Kings would still accept you?

ReputationRep:
    Why would they accept me sorry and thanks. Do you by any chance know what disadvantage background means?
    if you were in care/live in a council estate/go to a bad school/ stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    Because you're doing both bio and chem which is what they want applicants to have and disadvantaged background probably means bad school/low income/parents with no further educational background

Hi guys,

And lastly your advice.

Thanks xox
    I'm reporting you for spam. While I appreciate your concern, making a total of 14 threads about a topic (10 of them in the last few hours) just to get an answer is pretty unnecessary. In all honesty, the answers you received on the other thread are not any different if you start a new thread with the same question.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a non-selective school but my school gets 70% pass rate at gcse
    I live in a counsel flat. I am black and fatherless (died at 5). But my mum is a nurse.
    (Original post by E air)
    if you were in care/live in a council estate/go to a bad
    school/ stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    I go to a non-selective school but my school gets 70% pass rate at gcse I live in a counsel flat. I am black and fatherless (died at 5). But my mum is a nurse.
    I dont have a disadvantage background do i?
    Because you're doing both bio and chem which is what they want applicants to have and disadvantaged background probably means bad school/low income/parents with no further educational background

ReputationRep:
    I go to a non-selective school but my school gets 70% pass rate at gcse I live in a counsel flat. I am black and fatherless (died at 5). But my mum is a nurse.
    You might be. You don't have to meet all of their criteria but you do need to meet at least a couple of them so you have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    You won't qualify for the critera point from what school you're from because your school performs above the national average of 60%. You will qualify for the critera point of where you live because you live in a council flat.

Unis offering med courses with a foundation year have a set of critera and you have to meet a certain amount. Ie how much household income per year and if your post code is classed as an area of deprivation.

Highly doubt race comes into it lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    If you ace your A levels you should be fine, the main thing they look at for medicine applicants is A levels, and work experience. And they make a lot of decisions at interview. So I would say go for a medicine course.

But if you want to do another degree and transfer into graduate medicine, and sort of life sciences degree (Biology, Biomedical sciences, etc) should let you do that.
    As once you've done a BSc in one of those, you can transfer into year 2 of a medicine course. This sort of option can get you a route into medicine with slightly lower grades.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.