Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I ask my mum to work an extra day? watch

Hi guys,

I live in a single parent family, just my Mum, me and my younger brother. My Mum receives a little bit of money now and then from my Dad, but mostly it's just her working to provide for our family.

She works as a Maths teacher at the local sixth form college, and she recently reduced the days she works from four to three days a week. This means her income has fallen from about £20k a year to £17k.

I'm just so scared that we won't have enough money for next year, when I'll (hopefully) go off to university. I know that she works hard, and I think she dropped the day because she was tired and didn't really like her job. I would find my own job to help out, but I've taken on so much work at school (I'm taking 4 A2s, head girl etc.) that I think I would feel really stressed if I did have one.

Is it really mean if I ask her to work four days a week again? Maybe I'm just overreacting, and that's actually plenty of money. I go to a grammar school, and there are so many people who are rich that I've lost touch with what 'well-off' actually is.

I know that with student finance I'll be able to pay for accommodation, fees and the like, but my dream uni is London - everything is so expensive (I know they give a larger loan to Londoners but still)!

I guess I'm just falling victim to the typical anxieties that most people in their last year of sixth form experience. Thank you to anyone who replies.

ReputationRep:
    Haha no you shouldn't. (Are you actually being serious?)

ReputationRep:
    Asking your mum to work an extra day is preposterous. Many single mothers run a house on less than 17k, it's selfish to endeavour to increase her workload.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've said it once and I'll say it again - the quality of trolling on TSR has gone seriously downhill in the last couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    You need to go find yourself a job. Your mum is tired, let her rest. You are actually so lucky. As soon as me and my brother hit 17 we had to find jobs and Pay our way and we studied too.

You can work and I would encourage you to work. The government has many bursaries and schemes in place which you could look at .
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You'll be getting the full loan, plus a bursary from the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

I live in a single parent family, just my Mum, me and my younger brother. My Mum receives a little bit of money now and then from my Dad, but mostly it's just her working to provide for our family.

She works as a Maths teacher at the local sixth form college, and she recently reduced the days she works from four to three days a week. This means her income has fallen from about £20k a year to £17k.

I'm just so scared that we won't have enough money for next year, when I'll (hopefully) go off to university. I know that she works hard, and I think she dropped the day because she was tired and didn't really like her job. I would find my own job to help out, but I've taken on so much work at school (I'm taking 4 A2s, head girl etc.) that I think I would feel really stressed if I did have one.

Is it really mean if I ask her to work four days a week again? Maybe I'm just overreacting, and that's actually plenty of money. I go to a grammar school, and there are so many people who are rich that I've lost touch with what 'well-off' actually is.

I know that with student finance I'll be able to pay for accommodation, fees and the like, but my dream uni is London - everything is so expensive (I know they give a larger loan to Londoners but still)!

I guess I'm just falling victim to the typical anxieties that most people in their last year of sixth form experience. Thank you to anyone who replies.
    Poor you. Your neck must be really sore being the head girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

Hi dearie, please PLEASE do not worry about finances. As a person in a similar situation (currently a Finalist at Cambridge), I don't want you to panic or think you can't get to Uni because of your mum's wage. I guarantee you can get bursaries from your Uni and even grants from the Student Loans Company (SLC) which you will not have to pay back.

You're right, London Unis offer a higher loan to accommodate the inflated prices in the capital...so you shouldn't suffer in theory. I want you to be certain that this student loan is by no means any other kind of loan or debt you will ever get in your life, if that's what is concerning you. With this 'debt', I'd more see it as a future 'tax' that the employers take out of your salary monthly and pay for you (as in, you never even see it!), and you don't ever have to pay it back if you don't earn over 21k I believe. It gets wiped after 30 years, even if it's not paid back, and it's the ONLY debt in our lives where if you become unemployed/pregnant/on maternity/paternity leave that you do not have to pay it back until the situation stabilises! It's no reason to worry, and certainly no reason to feel anxious. There is SO MUCH help out there for students from low-income families, I promise it won't be an issue.

It is a little bit harsh to ask your Mum to work an extra day. It may only seem like one extra day in the week, but if you look at the bigger picture, that's a LOT of extra unnecessary days she will be working over the month and year. In reality, that might make her unhappy, put strain on your family life and even make her feel guilty. It's unfair, but I understand your concern. But please do not assume working an extra day is an easy task. There's a reason they call it part-time and full-time. When you start working, you'll understand!

I hope this helps. Please do not worry, you're going to have a fantastic life ahead of you at uni, regardless of family income.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.