Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE choices!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 9 right now and in January I'll be choosing my GCSEs. Of course I have to take Maths and English Literature and Language, I hoping to take triple award science as I want to be a pediatrist (children's doctor). I'll probably get the chance to as I'm in the top set for science. As my school is religious, taking RE is compulsory. I'm also a native Spanish speaker so that's on my list too. To complete the English Baccalaureate, I'm taking History, but I don't know what other subjects to take. I'm a talented artist but I've heard that art is an extremely hard GSCE. I'm thinking about taking food tech and another modern foreign language. So far, my list comprises of: maths, English lit and lang, triple science, Spanish, History and RE. I can take two more subjects, which ones should I take?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by diamantes)
    I'm in Year 9 right now and in January I'll be choosing my GCSEs. Of course I have to take Maths and English Literature and Language, I hoping to take triple award science as I want to be a pediatrist (children's doctor). I'll probably get the chance to as I'm in the top set for science. As my school is religious, taking RE is compulsory. I'm also a native Spanish speaker so that's on my list too. To complete the English Baccalaureate, I'm taking History, but I don't know what other subjects to take. I'm a talented artist but I've heard that art is an extremely hard GSCE. I'm thinking about taking food tech and another modern foreign language. So far, my list comprises of: maths, English lit and lang, triple science, Spanish, History and RE. I can take two more subjects, which ones should I take?
    well i believe it's not that you're school is religious but the whole of UK requires either long or short course RE since it's what the gov wants.
    your choices are very ''ideal'' for further education so far, and yes i would consider a more layed back subject as the final one, art i heard isnt hard, just time consuming...like so much time needed. i got people in art classes whos in my form who's like 2/3 work behind. take it if u love drawing but theres always writing though that comes with it. food tech is fun, i dont take it personally but my friend takes it and i got to taste her food sometimes and as a food lover, im not fussy at all xD i'd gladly try all food. if ur fluent in spanish, why not go for french as well? similar lingo so you dont have to try much, what about IT? really easy just sitting there and typing things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    well i believe it's not that you're school is religious but the whole of UK requires either long or short course RE since it's what the gov wants.
    your choices are very ''ideal'' for further education so far, and yes i would consider a more layed back subject as the final one, art i heard isnt hard, just time consuming...like so much time needed. i got people in art classes whos in my form who's like 2/3 work behind. take it if u love drawing but theres always writing though that comes with it. food tech is fun, i dont take it personally but my friend takes it and i got to taste her food sometimes and as a food lover, im not fussy at all xD i'd gladly try all food. if ur fluent in spanish, why not go for french as well? similar lingo so you dont have to try much, what about IT? really easy just sitting there and typing things.
    Thanks for answering, I'm having a hard time choosing between French and German, I'm definitely taking one of these, probably which ever I do better in the upcoming tests, I find both easy and I'm doing well at both of them so far. My only problem is choosing between Art, Food Tech or IT for my last subject, I'm not sure which one would be better looked upon be universities?

ReputationRep:
    take art i ****ing dare you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okey)
    take art i ****ing dare you
    lol i dare the OP to take computer science
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks for answering, I'm having a hard time choosing between French and German, I'm definitely taking one of these, probably which ever I do better in the upcoming tests, I find both easy and I'm doing well at both of them so far. My only problem is choosing between Art, Food Tech or IT for my last subject, I'm not sure which one would be better looked upon be universities?
    u got all the subjects ideal for uni so far, the last one wouldnt matter if i say so myself. TBH unis dont even look at gcse unless it's this scenario: you dont take maths or english A levels so they have to go off your maths and eng gcse grade which then you really do have to do well

ReputationRep:
    Universities rarely look at GCSE's, just take something easier or less academic so you get better results overall.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 and have taken art for one of my choices and it is really fun so if you are talented at art and enjoy it you should take it as I don't think you'll find it that hard. you should also try to take the subjects you enjoy as otherwise you'll find your GCSE's really boring.

ReputationRep:
    Take two of computing, geography, French and psychology

ReputationRep:
    Take whatever intrests you. It really does not matter. Just be good at the subject and enjoy it. Also consider a level options, just in case a subject is required.

I would stay away from coursework heavy subjects like food tech or Art. After doing just one subject that had a 60% coursework weighting, I am glad I have none of that now.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the other posts, the last subject doesn't really matter as long as it is something you enjoy.
    If you really like Art and are willing to put in a lot of time and effort, then take it as my friends who are taking it spend a lot of time working on their sketchbook etc. but they seem to enjoy it!

I have heard that IT is a relatively easy subject but may be boring and I don't know a lot about Food Tech but the cooking seems fun, not sure about the theory though.

I'm taking French and German and find them to be equally easy, so just pick the one you enjoy most/are best at

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.