Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone Here studying Mech Engineering at brunel university Or Queen Mary University? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to know What it is like doing Mechanical engineering or Mechanical with Aeronautics? I am now at college studying Mechanical Engineering BTEC L3 Diploma. I would be Great if you share your thoughts. I got D*D* For the fist year and i thinking of going to queen mary and do a foundation year and than do Degree or Brunel Straight to degree without doing any foundation year.

Any advise will be appreciated
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I finished my foundation year at brunel and am currently doing first year Mec eng at brunel.
    The campus is pretty good halls are close and the price is half of Queen marys since brunel is 40mins away from central. Theres around 140 students in a class. Some lecturers are good some aren't (dynamics teachers just reads the calculations of the board and explains how he got the answer).
    Library is 24/7 subway,costcutter,HSBC,Costa on campus.
    Lots of societys and sports i joined boxing and Krishna conciousness.

Any questions i would be happy to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironaldhino)
    I finished my foundation year at brunel and am currently doing first year Mec eng at brunel.
    The campus is pretty good halls are close and the price is half of Queen marys since brunel is 40mins away from central. Theres around 140 students in a class. Some lecturers are good some aren't (dynamics teachers just reads the calculations of the board and explains how he got the answer).

What about the ethnicity and gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also in second year of btec level 3 mechanical engineering. I will be applying for automotive engineering at Brunel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Do you not get to ask questions when they do the lecture?
    is it hard? since i am coming from btec.
    Do you know any people who dropped out?

Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzDarren)
    Also in second year of btec level 3 mechanical engineering. I will be applying for automotive engineering at Brunel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Great How was your fist year?

ReputationRep:
    Calm, got full marks, aiming for D*D*D*. Hbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzDarren)
    Calm, got full marks, aiming for D*D*D*. Hbu?
    Same, I have like 6 assignment due after halfterm as i also have English exam 2nd November. I am very stressed out atm

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 1st year Mechanical Engineering at Brunel.
    Ask me anything😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asugarajan)
    What about the ethnicity and gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its engineering so mainly boys around 6 girls. Very diverse got quiet a lot of Brown asians.

(Original post by TAREQ003)
    Do you not get to ask questions when they do the lecture?
    is it hard? since i am coming from btec.
    Do you know any people who dropped out?

Thanks for the reply.
    Only 50% make it to the First year at Brunel from Foundation.
    Because you are expected to know the A level maths which is quiet hard; And out Maths Lecturer was Crap, he literally just read off the book. If your from btec then start learning A level maths; Differentiation and Integration which are the hardest.

You can normally answer questions after the lecture or just raise your hand. But they do expect you to have a go at the question

And some of the students have a bad attitude, especially people who sit at the back, they just talk a lot and distract you if you sit at the back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suarti10)
    Ask me anything😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its engineering so mainly boys around 6 girls. Very diverse got quiet a lot of Brown asians.

Because you are expected to know the A level maths which is quiet hard; And out Maths Lecturer was Crap, he literally just read off the book. If your from btec then start learning A level maths; Differentiation and Integration which are the hardest.

You can normally answer questions after the lecture or just raise your hand. But they do expect you to have a go at the question

And some of the students have a bad attitude, especially people who sit at the back, they just talk a lot and distract you if you sit at the back
    So You two should Know each other? suarti10 and ironaldhino

So are opportunity do they offer?
    Any of you know how to get scholarship?

Also if you like to share some typical question that you do would be great .

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    So You two should Know each other? suarti10 and ironaldhino

So are opportunity do they offer?
    Any of you know how to get scholarship?

Also if you like to share some typical question that you do would be great .

Thanks again.
    No I don't know ironaldhino
    There are a few Engineering societies.
    I think there is an Engineering scholarship and an academic excellence one.

ReputationRep:

As you said you did a foundation year what was the reason for that

ReputationRep:
    Ask me anything😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    did you do bfec level 3 and if so what did u get on it and what does the uni really looks into when applying for mechanical engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream_big)
    did you do bfec level 3 and if so what did u get on it and what does the uni really looks into when applying for mechanical engineering
    No I did A levels, but there are a few people who did BTEC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream_big)
    As you said you did a foundation year what was the reason for that
    grades were low

ReputationRep:
    No I did A levels, but there are a few people who did BTEC
    People who did BTEC How did they DO compared to other people on you class in overall. ? thanks for all the info .

ReputationRep:

Another question What should DO to get Prepared? like what maths topics i should practice? also the materials? thanks

ReputationRep:
    For engineering You need calculus, get good with integration and differentiation, you should be able to do steps in your head without having to write it down; this will help a lot in my opinion ( Mechanics and thermodynamics for eg). A level maths generally helps. Look at lectures on YouTube about First and second law of Thermodynamics, Bernoulli equation, Hydrostatic forces.
    Another question What should DO to get Prepared? like what maths topics i should practice? also the materials? thanks

ReputationRep:
    For engineering You need calculus, get good with integration and differentiation, you should be able to do steps in your head without having to write it down; this will help a lot in my opinion ( Mechanics and thermodynamics for eg). A level maths generally helps. Look at lectures on YouTube about First and second law of Thermodynamics, Bernoulli equation, Hydrostatic forces.
    Thanks for the tip.

People who did BTEC How did they DO compared to other people on you class in overall. ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.