Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doing Dentistry without maths watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 and I have started my as levels this year. I do Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Maths. I have so far found the first three accessible and I am confident in doing good in them but maths has always been my kryptonite. I got a B in GCSE and was told I will struggle in A level maths. My only problem with maths is those questions that require you to think and pull together all your prior knowledge. So far I have been struggling with the workload and I frequently find myself stumped in Questions. To add more misery I do one of the hardest exam boards (MEI) mainly due to the lack of resources you are given by the board. If it was something like edexcel or AQA I would have more resources that are specific.

I want to do dentistry in uni and am thinking about dropping maths, to aid my other subjects because most of my weekends are occupied by maths homework. Also because I struggle with maths and know I will definitely find it progressively harder throughout the year. The dental schools I have looked at don't require maths as a compulsory subject. For example: QMUL and KCL. But will not having maths make me less competitive and less likely to get a place. Also I could only find these two dental schools in London, does anyone else know any others in LONDON only please.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlphaParticle)
    I am currently in year 12 and I have started my as levels this year. I do Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Maths. I have so far found the first three accessible and I am confident in doing good in them but maths has always been my kryptonite. I got a B in GCSE and was told I will struggle in A level maths. My only problem with maths is those questions that require you to think and pull together all your prior knowledge. So far I have been struggling with the workload and I frequently find myself stumped in Questions. To add more misery I do one of the hardest exam boards (MEI) mainly due to the lack of resources you are given by the board. If it was something like edexcel or AQA I would have more resources that are specific.

I want to do dentistry in uni and am thinking about dropping maths, to aid my other subjects because most of my weekends are occupied by maths homework. Also because I struggle with maths and know I will definitely find it progressively harder throughout the year. The dental schools I have looked at don't require maths as a compulsory subject. For example: QMUL and KCL. But will not having maths make me less competitive and less likely to get a place. Also I could only find these two dental schools in London, does anyone else know any others in LONDON only please.
    What were your GCSE over grades just wondering and I'm sure you defo need maths bio and chem for dentistry otherwise you can forget about applying it is essential I wanted to do dentistry as well but my poor GCSE grades aren't anywhere near as good to be one.. I needed A*'s instead i got A's B's and even 4 C's.... And was not allowed to do chemistry for A-level so oh well, instead I will hopefully do investment banking as it relates to maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlphaParticle)

I've applied this year for Dentistry and I dropped Maths at AS, Majority of the university if not all the unis don't mind as long as you have Biology and Chemistry

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.